Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Where specifically in Mexico?

I've been to many places in Mexico but the only three places I am considering there now I haven't been to as yet.

Hi Jingthing..

Both are in the Bahia de los Angeles region.

They were professional men (nuclear physics and classical music) but are long retired and live very comfortably with their housemaids in a semi-desert setting..

You and I both know that what suits one person may not necessarily suit another..but my friend's photos of the beaches and the sunset are sure hard to beat.

PS..my friend was a young companion of Aron Copeland and met Thomas Mann..he is now 96 years old..

Edited by Odysseus123
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Where on earth did you stay in Rio?

Before my first visit, we too imagined it would be rife with crime. But we went everywhere, even places we weren't supposed to go, by accident wandering into the 'wrong' favela.

Perhaps we are just lucky. Been there at least four times now.

I stayed in Copacabana. Many foreign friends i met there had also been robbed. It was 15 years ago so perhaps things has changed since then, although i doubt it. 

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Thailand is no longer cheap, if you are from America, latin America would  be more sensible to live bcos it's nearer.

What is the cost of living there compared to Thailand?

So it's less than 15,000 baht a month.

Edited by Kwasaki

16 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

I stayed in Copacabana. Many foreign friends i met there had also been robbed. It was 15 years ago so perhaps things has changed since then, although i doubt it. 

I still think it's high crime. In any case, what does it matter if you can't qualify for their visa anyway? 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I still think it's high crime. In any case, what does it matter if you can't qualify for their visa anyway? 

I asked him. That's why it matters.

In addition, why would you assume that he cannot qualify for the visa?

The requirements for a retirement visa are less than Thailand's, at currently, 50,672 baht per month

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

I would be after decent toilets these days rather than sex

Funny that you mention toilets. In a number of Latin American countries the plumbing isn't great and you can't flush your t.p. So you put it in a trash can by the toilet. Not to mention no bum guns. Peru for example is notorious for shower electrocutions from the hot water systems for showers in less modern units. Toilets matter. I'm not saying things are going to be perfect or even as good as living in Thailand for people moving to Latin America … obviously spending more money can sometimes be helpful. 

Again, I don't mean to either oversell or undersell the option of living in some Latin American nations vs. Thailand.

But some of us will be leaving Thailand (or not coming at all in view of recent changes) and some Latin American nations are indeed possible alternatives. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, Prayuth and the biggest joke, are you listening? Do you ever listen to anybody? Ever? We have alternatives! 

Er, no, probably not.

17 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

Makes sense. I guess if you go to the most touristy area, you are more of a target.

We instead, decided to accommodate ourselves outside of the well known touristy areas and instead plumped for Gloria.

From our apartment we had a direct view of Pão de Açúcar, could walk across to the airport to fly to Iguazu Falls or to the excellent but sadly now defunct Porcão Rio. 

Also we lived next to the not unpleasant Flamengo Park;

20082_F3_1523256066.jpg

FlamengoPark-1l.jpg

So one is much more in touch with local life.

Copacabana is sterile by comparison. We cycled there a few times using the https://bikeitau.com.br scheme.

Maybe we just didn't look like the types they wanted to bother.

You're right, tourist areas are always worse, just like here in Thailand. And i traveled solo, it's obviously safer to stay in a group.

Btw, nice pictures!

7 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

You're right, tourist areas are always worse, just like here in Thailand. And i traveled solo, it's obviously safer to stay in a group.

Btw, nice pictures!

Well, in Rio I got mugged in daylight on a very non-touristy street downtown that I accidentally walked into. I stayed in Copa and didn't have a problem even late at night. Go figure. 

12 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Btw, nice pictures!

Not my pictures. Pulled them off the Innernet as have none on this laptop. Though I think mine are even more impressive. Though to be fair my girlfriend takes them all....thousands of 'em. 

Was just me, my girl and her camera and iPad. ????

We needed the iPad at the time to access the App for the bikes. Was a bit annoying to carry around at the time.

Once I was standing alone in Flamengo Park with the iPad waiting for girlfriend to turn up and someone came along and asked for money. If I didn't have the iPad in my hand I might have offered something. But didn't want to tempt fate by having him try to grab it, so just said no and off he went.

In general I gave generously, as many have nothing and I have, relatively, a lot.

If I saw a bunch of 'street children' hanging around Botafogo shoppers with their shoe shine box, I would give them 20 Reals just to keep them out of trouble and tell them to buy food for the whole group, which they did.

Then they scampered off into the distance.

Anyway, let's not ruin the man's thread with our reminiscing. ????

Edited by KneeDeep
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, in Rio I got mugged in daylight on a very non-touristy street downtown that I accidentally walked into. I stayed in Copa and didn't have a problem even late at night. Go figure. 

Thailand is absolutely not a safe place, in many aspects. But i think one has to be very unlucky to get mugged in daylight. The Latinos on the other hand, are not shy.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Getting an O-A visa for Thailand works out to $100 dollars a year.  What Latin American countries are lower than that?

Interesting point.

The discussion right now is mainly centered around comparison of Thailand and Latin American countries.

Does anybody really know whether visa (and the other 'administrative items' not yet really being mentioned here) for South American countries compared to Thailand are the same level of complexity / work / cost / tea money ?  

13 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Downtown Rio is bad even during daylight, as you know, plenty of street kids coming down from the favelas to rob tourists/locals, police are well aware but outnumbered.

Many YouTube videos showing this blatant and opportunist type of assault.

I was walking on a crowded street during daylight, suddenly 3 BIG black guys approached me, one took stranglehold on me, another held a knife, and the third went through my pockets. They got my money and keys to my apartment and went away. But one of them suddenly turned back and returned my keys...what a gentleman. Anyway, just happy i didn't get that knife in my belly.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

"$100 dollars a year??"  Mr. Big Joke changed the relative ease of obtaining retirement visas for Thailand forever.  None of the other countries being considered on this site as alternatives to living in Thailand, have the ridiculous financial requirements, 90 day reporting, and form after form to submit when you leave, return, move, or have a bowel movement.  

I'm sure Mr. Joke is just following orders but it has become crystal clear to me, westerners are no longer wanted as long term residents in Thailand.  There are some excellent choices being mentioned on this blog and good for "Jingthing" for getting it started. ????   

Go home and get an O-A visa for a cost of I believe around $100 per year as the visa is good for two years.  I don't believe there are any in South America which offer the same cost per advantage.  90 day reporting I havn't done in 20 years.  Why would you?  Mail it or do it online or have someone do it for you.  Medical care is important to me and the good private hospital here direct bills my insurance company for services like a heart stent. For Americans I would wonder at the benefit of Mexico, Columbia and Panama vs South Florida or South Texas.  I've lived in both places and could do so again with free health care.

Edited by marcusarelus

1 minute ago, KneeDeep said:

Sorry, but my comment remains the same.  Your comments are actually a bit pathetic and Russophobic. It doesn't clarify anything. 

What exactly is your point? Limassol doesn't represent the whole of Cyprus and you probably wouldn't want to stay there anyway.

So I repeat, visit before posting such nonsense. 

It's not unlike someone who have never been to Pattaya, commenting about things that they have read as if it is the whole picture, but in actuality they know nothing.

What exactly would Jingthing have to fear from the Russians in Limassol? Ridiculous! There are many Chinese who have bought into the scheme too. What would you like to say about them?

I am ambivalent. I live in Thailand with no plans to move, though if I did I would consider locations in Europe rather than the Americas. 

The TV piece I watched did say a criminal element was involved in the purchase of land and the construction of properties.

I am not anti-Russian or anti-Chinese. I am anti-criminal, whatever nationality.

4 minutes ago, champers said:

I am ambivalent. I live in Thailand with no plans to move, though if I did I would consider locations in Europe rather than the Americas. 

The TV piece I watched did say a criminal element was involved in the purchase of land and the construction of properties.

I am not anti-Russian or anti-Chinese. I am anti-criminal, whatever nationality.

So there are no criminals in Thailand??

Seriously, just don't go to Limassol if you are allergic to Russians. But honestly, no one will bother you.

Russians don't like it in Russia either.

• Like 1

Jingthing might have to strike Cyprus from his list. On a recent TV news item, I learned that Cyprus is now home to many Russians and not like those we may encounter in Thailand. They have mafia links and are becoming a concern to other EU members as they are free to roam at will. Cyprus has made a lot of money from the sale of their visas.
Portugal would be my pick.
Please limit the discussion here to Latin American nations and comparisons to Thailand as well when relevant. Also Thailand related issues with migration to Latin America namely getting acceptable police reports which will sometimes vary based on the specific target nation.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app