Expats in Thailand considering moving to Latin America prompted by Thai visa changes

Jingthing

Thailand is absolutely not a safe place, in many aspects. But i think one has to be very unlucky to get mugged in daylight. The Latinos on the other hand, are not shy.
Yes and no. I've never had a problem elsewhere in Latin America day or night but I think as a generalization it's fair to say for street crime Thailand comes out ahead compared to Latin America. Probably way ahead. But there are always pros and cons to any choice and many of us are going to more or less forced out of Thailand. So Latin America is there. Attractions and pitfalls in all.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Interesting point.

The discussion right now is mainly centered around comparison of Thailand and Latin American countries.

Does anybody really know whether visa (and the other 'administrative items' not yet really being mentioned here) for South American countries compared to Thailand are the same level of complexity / work / cost / tea money ?  

It depends on the nation. Generally more expensive and more time consuming to get the initial visa, a non corrupt lawyer is often needed but the initial visa may result in permanent residence. So one time. Also rules can change on you. In my research they generally do not have equivalents to corrupt visa agencies. At least for the nations I've been looking at.

• Like 1

A few friends found their paradise, in the Dominican Republic.  Not sure if it would check all the boxes for everyone, but cost of living, affordable housing options, lots of ladies, choice of village or bigger city lifestyle.  I haven't been in years, but they're enjoying life there...
I've been there only to the Santo Domingo. Not my thing and I can't even qualify for their retirement visa but sure many people like it.

Go home and get an O-A visa for a cost of I believe around $100 per year as the visa is good for two years.  I don't believe there are any in South America which offer the same cost per advantage.  90 day reporting I havn't done in 20 years.  Why would you?  Mail it or do it online or have someone do it for you.  Medical care is important to me and the good private hospital here direct bills my insurance company for services like a heart stent. For Americans I would wonder at the benefit of Mexico, Columbia and Panama vs South Florida or South Texas.  I've lived in both places and could do so again with free health care.

Comparison to the USA is not fully on topic but its probably relevant for many people considering Latin America. Yes no Medicare as an expat but there are tradeoffs. For example try to rent a modern spacious apartment 400 to 500 dollars with doorman in a safe vibrant area of a city where you don't need a car. Able to eat out daily on a social security check. Taxis anywhere in town for 1 to 3 dollars. Year round spring like weather. I don't think so anywhere in the USA including Texas and South Florida.

4 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

its about to become mandatory insurance for OA,

plus the air ticket for 15k, so perhaps 30k per year for 1 year visa in thailand, and you can be banned anytime,

specially if you get incapacitated and are the least able to move.

in contrast any french island in caribbean is insta PR/citizenship with national healthcare

and you can buy property, any property

No mandatory insurance in Thailand.  No mandatory air ticket.  No 30k for one year visa and not country in the Caribbean that lets you in for free with no mandatory amount in the bank and mandatory health insurance?

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Comparison to the USA is not fully on topic but its probably relevant for many people considering Latin America. Yes no Medicare as an expat but there are tradeoffs. For example try to rent a modern apartment under 500 dollars in a safe vibrant area of a city where you don't need a car in the USA. I don't think so.

What good is a $500 apartment if paying cash for triple bypass?  South America or South Texas or Florida are close in prices but for the American-really a big difference in health care.  Thailand on the other hand has equivalent health care for much less or insurance covered (FMP).  I've lived in places in Texas and Florida where one does not need a car and are as vibrant as South America.  Texas and Florida are like South America without food poisoning. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I've lived in places in Texas and Florida where one does not need a car and are as vibrant as South America. 

I can't live in the USA (except in a few large cities) without a car. Uber is OK but it will soon become expensive 

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes and no. I've never had a problem elsewhere in Latin America day or night but I think as a generalization it's fair to say for street crime Thailand comes out ahead compared to Latin America. Probably way ahead. But there are always pros and cons to any choice and many of us are going to more or less forced out of Thailand. So Latin America is there. Attractions and pitfalls in all.

You must be kidding, most of the South American cities have far more hold-ups. Caracas, Rio very high chance of trouble. A Colombian gang even came all the way here for burglaries in the hi-so housing estates. 

24 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

No mandatory insurance in Thailand.  No mandatory air ticket.  No 30k for one year visa and not country in the Caribbean that lets you in for free with no mandatory amount in the bank and mandatory health insurance?

Martinique, Guadeloupe and French Guiana :

These are French overseas departments & part of the EU. No residency requirements for EU and EEA passport holders.

St. Barthelemy : no residency requirements for EU & EEA passport holders.

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-the-UK-and-EU-citizens-live-in-the-Caribbean

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360990

Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

My current list by nation is in this order. But I have specific locations in those countries as well. That makes a BIG difference exactly where.

For some reasons which I don't fully understand (yes I've been there personally and didn't really love it) Costa Rica has become much less popular than in decades past.

Colombia (top by a lot)

Mexico

Ecuador and Peru (tied)

Panama (not very seriously)

Uruguay (not very seriously)

I wouldn’t mind visiting these countries but permanently residing is another thing entirely. In my opinion a retiree would be very vulnerable in these countries. I know a California lawyer, elderly guy now retired, who loves his life in Pattaya (for women). He used to stay in Costa Rica but didn’t entirely feel safe. I think personal safety should be your main consideration.

• Like 1

What good is a $500 apartment if paying cash for triple bypass?  South America or South Texas or Florida are close in prices but for the American-really a big difference in health care.  Thailand on the other hand has equivalent health care for much less or insurance covered (FMP).  I've lived in places in Texas and Florida where one does not need a car and are as vibrant as South America.  Texas and Florida are like South America without food poisoning. 
Medical care is an issue. I don't believe you can match the conditions I described not even close for a similar price in the USA. If you don't want to consider Latin America then don't. This topic is about people considering it.

You must be kidding, most of the South American cities have far more hold-ups. Caracas, Rio very high chance of trouble. A Colombian gang even came all the way here for burglaries in the hi-so housing estates. 

The trick is identifying the safer cities in the target countries. Fear mongering about Latin America in general is not helpful here. Nobody here is considering Caracas for obvious reasons.

I wouldn’t mind visiting these countries but permanently residing is another thing entirely. In my opinion a retiree would be very vulnerable in these countries. I know a California lawyer, elderly guy now retired, who loves his life in Pattaya (for women). He used to stay in Costa Rica but didn’t entirely feel safe. I think personal safety should be your main consideration.
Sure. I am interested in an upscale safe neighborhood with a doorman. Cheers.

I will add even though I've attempted to make generalizations about Latin America in general I am hoping people transition to getting more specific about everything in the specific Latin American countries and even more specific as to specific areas in those countries. There is huge diversity of choices!

Also on visa issues obviously there is no Latin American visa. Every nation has their own system of course.

It just boggles my mind why Europeans want to come all the way to Thailand. They have better options in Spain, Portugal and Malta. I have lived in Albuferia and Benidorm and liked it. But I can't stay more than 3-months. I have to spend my next trip for three months in Malta. 

https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/baby-boomers/slideshows/the-best-affordable-places-to-retire-overseas?slide=9

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

These are French overseas departments & part of the EU. No residency requirements for EU and EEA passport holders.

https://www.quora.com/Where-can-the-UK-and-EU-citizens-live-in-the-Caribbean

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30360990

Move to make health insurance mandatory for long-stay visas

I'm an American and the UK will soon not have Eu passports and health insurance is not mandatory nor is tickets out for retirement.  Plus it's not apples to apples with the healthcare not available on those small hurricane riddled atolls. 

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Medical care is an issue. I don't believe you can match the conditions I described not even close for a similar price in the USA. If you don't want to consider Latin America then don't. This topic is about people considering it.

Texas and Mexico have a common border and Florida is 90 miles from Cuba?  Are you not considering them as they are only minutes apart?

1 hour ago, CanuckThai said:

A few friends found their paradise, in the Dominican Republic.  Not sure if it would check all the boxes for everyone, but cost of living, affordable housing options, lots of ladies, choice of village or bigger city lifestyle.  I haven't been in years, but they're enjoying life there...

The DR is for homeys from the Bronx

Texas and Mexico have a common border and Florida is 90 miles from Cuba?  Are you not considering them as they are only minutes apart?

Of course I am considering Mexico. It's number two on my list. If I recall correctly I recently read about a million Americans live in Mexico many are retired. Many of them ironically are illegal aliens. No I have not considered Cuba and like the Dominican Republic it doesn't appeal to me even if it was legal as an American to live there.

The cities I would consider in Mexico are - -

Queretaro top choice

Merida good but too hot an humid

The above are considered the safest cities in Mexico.

Morelia possibly crime issue too serious

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

It just boggles my mind why Europeans want to come all the way to Thailand. They have better options in Spain, Portugal and Malta. I have lived in Albuferia and Benidorm and liked it. But I can't stay more than 3-months. I have to spend my next trip for three months in Malta. 

https://money.usnews.com/money/retirement/baby-boomers/slideshows/the-best-affordable-places-to-retire-overseas?slide=9

It still gets cold in those countries. Many older people prefer a warm climate.

So boggle no more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Multiple people please don't sabotage this topic soon after it started by insisting on discussion of European destinations. Unless you are really mean spirited and are out to kill this thread.

Latin America is a massive area to cover in itself. Not every topic needs to be about everything. Please respect that.

20 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I'm an American and the UK will soon not have Eu passports and health insurance is not mandatory nor is tickets out for retirement.  Plus it's not apples to apples with the healthcare not available on those small hurricane riddled atolls. 

those small atolls of guadalope & martinique each has 400k population, its reasonable to assume health care equal to pattaya, except its free, and you cant get banned for being late to a 90 day report while doing a triple bypass

england has their own samples of caribbean resorts, as do americans

Edited by brokenbone

Was hoping someone would post a short list of "Long Term Residency" requirements concerning the different SA Countries mentioned here.
Without such a basic list, all we are doing here is practising the fine art "guessing".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, swissie said:

Was hoping someone would post a short list of "Long Term Residency" requirements concerning the different SA Countries mentioned here.
Without such a basic list, all we are doing here is practising the fine art "guessing".

i just did. these are relevant to you.

you got your PR the second the plane lands, free,

no reason to ever go to IO

Edited by brokenbone