Confusion as man shot dead in nighttime shootout at Hat Yai fresh food market

webfact

Confusion as man shot dead in nighttime shootout at Hat Yai fresh food market

4DQpjUtzLUwmJZZPGSiH5sqoyl2bObFdqGxeknJY036H.jpg

Police are investigating a confusing situation after a shootout in front of market goers in Hat Yai at 3am this morning. 

One man named as Thong Sae-Tae, 38, was found dead from a 9mm shot to the chest.

Five people were injured including one woman. 

Four shell casings from a .38 gun were found at the scene. 

Cops said that the shooting came after an altercation between a man and a person at the Hat Yai hospital. 

So far it is unclear who was involved in the shooting and who was hit by stray bullets. 

The incident happened at the busy Plaza market on Ratkarn Road in the southern Thai city. 

Picture: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-05

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Would be interested to know what country you come from. Because I'm pretty sure the Thais don't have a monopoly on violence - five fatal stabbings in London last week alone, a bazillion gun deaths in America annually, terrible domestic violence homicide rates in NZ and Australia. 

like that is not the case in thailand in most of thailand's cities and towns, and mind that London has an population of 8.7 million and 140 murders is not alarming, cities and towns in thailand are really small. execpt bangkok.

also thailand has higher or similar gun murder rate as USA per 100,000 people.

95% of all murders and crimes never get published in english speaking news in thailand, so the 2-3 murders you see on thai visa news or bangkok post is not the only murders in thailand.

European countries and AUS, NZ have between 0.5 - 1.5 in murder rate per 100,000 people while thailand has around 4 - 6 murder rate. Germany,France,UK,Sweden, Finland, Norway,Italy, Spain,Poland has 3098 murders together that is lower than thailands total murder amount.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ta158 said:

majority of people are not.

did I mention majority or all of them or anything like that? different people have different reasons to make a comment, usually it's based on living experiences

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, SammyT said:

Would be interested to know what country you come from. Because I'm pretty sure the Thais don't have a monopoly on violence - five fatal stabbings in London last week alone, a bazillion gun deaths in America annually, terrible domestic violence homicide rates in NZ and Australia. 

where I come from it's irrelevant to the case, in this specific case different people have different reasons to make a comment, usually it's based on living experiences, did it crossed your mind that I may have a reason to comment the way I did, as for the cities/countries you mention, do I live there? No, do I care? No. I live/reside in Thailand, violence there concerns me since I have been PERSONALLY affect by it, so yes, for me and only for me, they (fortunately not all of them) are revengeful and violent

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Cops said that the shooting came after an altercation between a man and a person at the Hat Yai hospital. So far it is unclear who was involved in the shooting and who was hit by stray bullets. 

Yee-Ha, Thaiboy ! Just give them horses instead of motors and it'll just like the old west.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

where I come from it's irrelevant to the case, in this specific case different people have different reasons to make a comment, usually it's based on living experiences, did it crossed your mind that I may have a reason to comment the way I did, as for the cities/countries you mention, do I live there? No, do I care? No. I live/reside in Thailand, violence there concerns me since I have been PERSONALLY affect by it, so yes, for me and only for me, they (fortunately not all of them) are revengeful and violent

Illogical comment. You've been affected by violence here so that means thai people are vengeful and violent? If you're that scared, why are you sti here? You're not exactly living in Syria

That's also a terrible sampling method. Name me a country where there aren't vengeful and violent people. 

Go on, I'll wait

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, SammyT said:

Illogical comment. You've been affected by violence here so that means thai people are vengeful and violent? If you're that scared, why are you sti here? You're not exactly living in Syria

That's also a terrible sampling method. Name me a country where there aren't vengeful and violent people. 

Go on, I'll wait

the main reason am still here is to find some poor old jerks that can't take accept a different opinion than theirs, usually called pity people, can't figure how they can look at themselves in the mirror, maybe you know what I am talking about and can help, your poor attitude let's me think that the stick is not deep enough for you, better you take a longer one

7 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Dead from a 9mm shot to the chest....

Four shell casings from a.38 gun.,......

surprised until i checked and found found they were interchangeable. But wondered why they were reported in mixed units?

Same diameter bullet (well, real close- .357" vs .355"), but a .38 shell won't fire in a 9mm gun, and vice versa.  The cartridges are different shapes and lengths.  Typically, .38 shells are fired from revolvers and standard 9mm parabellum shells are fired from automatics.   

There are some exceptions, but when you read about a .38 shell, it's usually from a revolver, and a 9mm shell is from an automatic- so at least 2 different guns were used.

What are interchangeable are that some .38 shells can be fired from a .357 revolver.

Edited by impulse

8 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

surprised until i checked and found found they were interchangeable. But wondered why they were reported in mixed units?

9mm bullets are .355" or .356" in diameter.  .38 bullets are available in .357" and .358" (lead). Not a big difference.

2 hours ago, inThailand said:

Confusion is his excuse? 

What... he shot the wrong person? 

With five people injured and one dead and only four casings found it sounds like the market has a sale on of 2 for the price of one.

indescriminant shooting with not a care in the world who he killed.

this is deffo a case of hang him high.

20 hours ago, TumblinDice said:

And a couple of hockey games in Canada

Umm.. no. Lots of shootings in Canada. Even in small towns.

My old neighbor (gang leader) was ambushed in front of a hotel by 2 guys with machine guns as they were sitting in their SUV. The car was sprayed and he died, girlfriend in the back was in the throat and survived as a paraplegic. Happened right across the street from the police station actually. 

A friend of mine witnessed someone get shot in shot in the back of the head walking down the road, too. Execution.

I could go on.. Mostly gang related or mafia related, but still a lot of shootings in Canada. 

16 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

the .38, .357, .380 auto and 9mm ammunition are all the same caliber. 

The .38 is 0.38 of an inch;
Europe uses the metric system, so 9mm.
In Germany the .380 auto is called the 9mm Kurz (short).
It could very well be that the 9mm cartridge is the round most often used in crimes because it is the cartridge most often used in semiautomatic 

6 hours ago, lust said:

Umm.. no. Lots of shootings in Canada. Even in small towns.

My old neighbor (gang leader) was ambushed in front of a hotel by 2 guys with machine guns as they were sitting in their SUV. The car was sprayed and he died, girlfriend in the back was in the throat and survived as a paraplegic. Happened right across the street from the police station actually. 

A friend of mine witnessed someone get shot in shot in the back of the head walking down the road, too. Execution.

I could go on.. Mostly gang related or mafia related, but still a lot of shootings in Canada. 

compared to Thailand, Canada has little shootings...

Gun murder rate.

Canada population 36 million - 266 gun murders = 0.73 gun murders per 100,000 people.

TH population 68 million people - 3,000+ gun murders = 4.4 gun murders per 100,000 people.

Murder rate.

Canada population 36 million - 660 murders = 1.8 murders per 100,000 people.

TH population 68 million - 3,000 - 4,000+ murders = 4.4 - 5.8 murders per 100,000 people.

4 minutes ago, ta158 said:

compared to Thailand, Canada has little shootings...

Gun murder rate.

Canada population 36 million - 266 gun murders = 0.73 gun murders per 100,000 people.

TH population 68 million people - 3,000+ gun murders = 4.4 gun murders per 100,000 people.

Murder rate.

Canada population 36 million - 660 murders = 1.8 murders per 100,000 people.

TH population 68 million - 3,000 - 4,000+ murders = 4.4 - 5.8 murders per 100,000 people.

Thailand has double the population with almost the same amount of gun murders. 

Plus, not every shooting is a fatality.

*edit, GUN murders, not fun murders, lol.

Edited by lust

13 hours ago, lust said:

Thailand has double the population with almost the same amount of gun murders. 

Plus, not every shooting is a fatality.

*edit, GUN murders, not fun murders, lol.

how can canada with 266 gun murders be almost the same with thailands 3,000+ gun murders?

even if not every shooting is fatal, with those numbers thailand would still have higher.

this is by 100,000 people.