Songkran road carnage: Thais have the answer - electronic monitoring bracelets

webfact

3 minutes ago, dcnx said:

He true answer is to make foreigners wear the bracelet. Solved!

Didn't TAT have some hair-brained scheme whereby foreign tourists would wear one that looked more like a wrist bracelet for offenders, so the tourist police would be able to 'find them' if they were lost?

15 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the main cause of accidents is not the drivers,

but the hooligans that target motorcyclists eyes with dirty water

Ah yes. I was caught that way about ten years ago.

Girlfriend on the back of the motorbike, first day of Songkran. I had to meet a customer to talk about work.

I thought going out early in the morning - 8AM - would let me avoid it in Udon.

Thai guy threw an entire bucket of water right into my face, knocking us both off the bike. In the end an ambulance arrived and the police too. By this time the guy who threw the water had disappeared completely and no one would admit to knowing him. The police shrugged and just said it was Songkran.

I had a dis-allocated dislocated thumb and various cuts and bruises.

Luckily for my girlfriend I cushioned her blow when we hit the ground.

Now I'm another convert who won't even go outside during the three days of shit.

It has been shown that penalties are not much of a deterrent to bad/criminal behavior. What has been shown to make a difference is the probability of being caught. If people think that they have a low probability of getting caught, they are not concerned about the penalty as it will not apply. On the other hand, if people think that they have a good chance of being caught, they won't break the laws of the land. So the bottom line is if you want Thais to follow the law, the police have to be out enforcing the law. When people are being shown to be caught, habits will change. 

8 hours ago, brokenbone said:

the main cause of accidents is not the drivers,

but the hooligans that target motorcyclists eyes with dirty water

I thought it was being stupid and/or pissed up, whilst Driving or Riding.

But that does apply to 365 days a year, not just songkran. 

Forget your silly bracelets & trying to shame someone into not driving drunk!

I have a MUCH SIMPLER way

1-This Songkran anyone caught driving drunk gets 1 year in jail

2-Get in an accident while driving drunk get 5 years in Jail

3-Kill anyone in an accident while driving drunk get 5 more years per person killed

PS: Start building larger prison before Songkran

I am looking forward to some absolutely cracking press releases from these people over the next month.

''Urge all parties concerned ......................'' 

''Don't forget, road accidents were down on alcohol free days so it must be to do with that''. 

As has been pointed out many times before, the annual Songkran cull is not really different to any normal day here, yet I am still to see any serious plan from these agencies about actually fixing the DAILY issue in this country. 

18 hours ago, bluesofa said:

As with any measures to reduce accidents, they will only work if continually enforced.

So...carry on as you were after two weeks of this being in the news.

Actually, this is the only measure that wouldn't actually work, even if it were enforced.???? How the hell will wearing a foot bracelet reduce the shitty driving habits of the wearer? ????

17 hours ago, Boomhauer said:

Just let them get on with it. It's their country after all - if they want to kill themselves due to pure ignorance and stupidity then let it be. No skin off my nose.

Until the day when you're on the receiving end of them getting on with it. ???? The problem with idiots causing crashes is that they usually take others with them.

1 hour ago, mania said:

Forget your silly bracelets & trying to shame someone into not driving drunk!

I have a MUCH SIMPLER way

1-This Songkran anyone caught driving drunk gets 1 year in jail

2-Get in an accident while driving drunk get 5 years in Jail

3-Kill anyone in an accident while driving drunk get 5 more years per person killed

PS: Start building larger prison before Songkran

What are you going to do with all the sober Drivers / Riders that cause most of the accidents / deaths in Thailand, 

Let them go ?

Ps Don't get fooled with the smoke and mirrors here.

The drivers and riders kill 60-70 people every day,  drunk or sober in Thailand.

But it was the drunks that did it.   not me.

Making 3 months driver education compulsory, including theory, traffic rules, defensive driving and practical road experience prior to get a licence - problem is where to find qualified instructors (unless they are imported).  It may be cheaper overall than all the hospital bills and funerals.

Just now, Prairieboy said:

Making 3 months driver education compulsory, including theory, traffic rules, defensive driving and practical road experience prior to get a licence - problem is where to find qualified instructors (unless they are imported).  It may be cheaper overall than all the hospital bills and funerals.

The driving test here is compulsory too.

If you bother to take it that is, and even then for less than 1,000 Baht can get a licence without sitting the test.

How will 3 months compulsory driver education differ?

Just stay off the roads for the period plus a few more days if you can, let them keep the carnage to themselves and to think the Government in its wisdom have given them another day off as well, what were they thinking of. Perhaps they will make holiday alcohol free if its good enough for the monks and good enough for a General Electon give it a try, I will buy in early and stay off the roads.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived