Video: Container truck going the wrong way on Chonburi highway

webfact

Video: Container truck going the wrong way on Chonburi highway

9pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

A policeman posted dash cam footage after his son-in-law had to brake when a white container lorry started coming down the wrong way of a center lane of a highway in Sri Racha.

The incident happened at the U-turn just opposite from the Nong Kham police station. 

Senior Sgt-Maj Naret Sangka of the Samet police called on his colleagues in Sri Racha to find the driver and prosecute.

The license plate was clearly visible, he said, adding that this was a very dangerous example of driving that could easily have resulted in a fatal collision had his son-in-law not managed to brake in time. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-06

Look at about 13 seconds, the container truck is on the correct side of the road, but has been cut off by a white flatbed doing a U turn from our direction (or at least crossing from our left). With nowhere else to go Mr Container went across the u-turn.

Why he didn't immediately stop? Brake failure perhaps? He does look to be slowing, albeit not very rapidly.

Container truck going too fast, probably. Primary cause of the accident, the white flatbed which simply went on his way, oblivious to the near carnage he caused.

15 minutes ago, webfact said:

Senior Sgt-Maj Naret Sangka of the Samet police called on his colleagues in Sri Racha to find the driver and prosecute.

Prosecute by issuing a 500 Baht fine and the driver to wai, no doubt?

Seems reasonable for an everyday type of occurrence here.

Unbelievable .. The consequences of meeting that head on don't bear thinking about especially for a motorcycle .. Driver needs banning from the road for a long time as he patently shows he has no consideration or regard for other road users .. Little wonder there is such an appalling death count on the roads in Thailand .. 

Yeah, i think he was taking evasive action there, aimed for the free space on other carriage way, so actually pretty well done, the carnage behind him could have been severe if he had hit the flatbed, check the speed of the red car that was behind him.

I don't often find myself on the side of the "bad driver", but in this case I really hope the driver of the container truck had a dashcam, he will need it to defend himself.

This is the driver who needs to go to jail.

Untitled.jpg

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I don't often find myself on the side of the "bad driver", but in this case I really hope the driver of the container truck had a dashcam, he will need it to defend himself.

This is the driver who needs to go to jail.

Untitled.jpg

100% Agree with that!!

9 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Just taking a short cut !, did not even bother to put his

headlights on to show he was coming in the wrong direction,

regards worgeordie

If you freeze frame around 13 seconds, just as he passes behind the flatbed you will see his headlights flash.

Untitled.jpg

EDIT Video analysis courtesy of Kinovea https://www.kinovea.org/ supposed to be for sports analysis, use it all the time for non-sport stuff (and it's free) ????

Look at about 13 seconds, the container truck is on the correct side of the road, but has been cut off by a white flatbed doing a U turn from our direction (or at least crossing from our left). With nowhere else to go Mr Container went across the u-turn.

Why he didn't immediately stop? Brake failure perhaps? He does look to be slowing, albeit not very rapidly.

Container truck going too fast, probably. Primary cause of the accident, the white flatbed which simply went on his way, oblivious to the near carnage he caused.

Yep - nightmare for every motorbike rider in this country!

Motorways with U-turns!

Unbelievable have you ever seen U-turns on major highways in other countries?

If corruption wouldn’t eat up a large part of the budgets here they could built proper roads and turns “above and below”.

Driving near cities here on a bike passing U-turns always on high alert - constantly thinking is he going to pull out in front of me or not?
If possible I try to stay close behind cars as it is less likely that they will pull out as opposed to “only” a motorbike coming their way.
Saw a horrible accident just recently with a car doing a U-turn into a road with another car speeding unable to stop in time.
Driver killed because he couldn’t wait another 10 or 20 seconds misjudging the speed of the oncoming car - who must have been distracted as well as he reacted and hit the brakes far too late.
Actually the truck drivers reaction was very good in the video here - if he would have hit the other truck that cut him off the police man in the car with the dash cam and others could have been hit by two trucks colliding or parts flying around!
There was very likely no other car behind the policeman and the truck driver must’ve maneuvered the car to the right to stop on the side of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 minutes ago, essox essox said:

driver needs BANNING FOR LIFE off the roads.....just another dumbo driver here !!

Which particular driver?

The one who initiated the event or the one who potentially saved lives?

23 hours ago, Crossy said:

I think you might be right in this case... looks like the flat bed was turning right at the U-section

the container truck was actually trying to avoid a collision... he had no other option but to swerve to his right and into the wrong side of the road !

Scary stuff, I hope he found a gap quickly to pull-over to the hard shoulder?

On 3/6/2019 at 3:32 PM, worgeordie said:

Just taking a short cut !, did not even bother to put his

headlights on to show he was coming in the wrong direction,

regards worgeordie

Don't you think he might have been a bit rattled after his near miss with the real idiot? Would you have reacted any faster? 

Archived