Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport

pathersaras

Hire some ex-Mossad (Israeli Secret Police) to do security at SUV swamp airport. That will yield some results. ...or any outsiders with real security experience. Thais won't seriously police fellow Thais - there would be too much commeraderie and maipenrainess.

Then get to work on the Thai post office. Two weeks ago I sent a small parcel to a friend in another part of Thailand. Never got there. I expect stuff sent overseas to get stolen, but was a wee bit surprised that the same happens with domestic.

Does anyone out there that have had their baggage tampered with after check-in?

Yes!

On my return flight from Argentina in December baggage handlers I suspect, stole my Sony Digital camera battery charger. I found out when I got home. I didn't report the theft since it's only a battery charger...

Sometimes when I see the quality of the bags that people use for checked-in baggage I chuckle. Tiny little padlocks on zippers that are useless.

There are dishonest baggage staff the world over.

The only way to avoid theft is by purchasing expensive, hard bodied, secure locking suitcases.

Good quality suitcases start at a minimum of U.S. $400 : They are an investment and might last 15-20 years and prevent the heartache of theft of personal items.

In this age of heightened security, your bags(padlocked or not) can be opened using the excuse of security checks. This would be after they are checked in, so locked or unlocked, Hard case or soft, wouldn't really change the issue if the security personnel are doing the lifting.

I used the left luggage office yesterday and had no problems. I mentioned to the staff that I’d heard bad reports of stuff going missing from bags kept there and they seemed a little surprised.

My suitcase still had the security tape from a previous airport in place but they insisted I open the bag for their inspection. Rules are rules.

The left luggage office is operated by Chubb and located next to the tourist police office. It costs 100 B for the first 24 hours then 50 B for each 12 hour or part thereof for longer periods.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. I posted a couple of items in the "Theft from left luggage" page - I didn't see this more appropriate forum at the time. Anyway briefly by way of recap ... We travelled from Krabi to CNX via BKK on 27 February. Our luggage went astray on the way and by the time we recovered it 2 days later it had been opened and items stolen - including our infant son's teddy bear, toys and his clothing.

We reported it to Thai Air Asia and to the CNX Police (who said we should return to BKK to report it there!). After some pushing - and some variations stories - Thai Air Asia came back and said it was probably stolen by staff of an airport contractor. These people move luggage from airline offices down to the planes. They use an elevator that does not have a security camera fitted. Thai Air Asia said to have the matter investigated further we had to take it up with Airports of Thailand (AOT) or the contractor (whose contact details we don't have).

Now we email and fax a report to AOT public relations dept. Then calls, another fax, emails. These guys are unreachable! There are incorrect contact details in the web site, the phone menu system at the airport (press # for PR) takes you to a number that doesn't even ring. Back to reception to get given a number that is NEVER answered. Get the picture? Anyway we still have not one word in writing but eventually we get called by a manager who says that they think that luggage theft is the responsibility of the airlines.

We then write a letter to the editor of the BKK Post and lodge a complaint with the Thai Ministry of Tourism (nil response to date). Bye bye teddy and chock dee thieves!

Well it happens all over the world; sometimes the motivation is different, however!

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The City Attorney's Office is expected to file misdemeanor theft charges against a group of screeners at Los Angeles International Airport suspected of stealing personal items from celebrities and other travelers.

City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo's office announced Thursday they will file cases against 10 airport employees and one transient. Eight of the accused workers were airport screeners who have been dismissed from their jobs, according to the Los Angeles Times.

The alleged victims include hotel heiress Paris Hilton and singer Keyshia Cole, said Nick Velasquez, a spokesman for the attorney's office. Pilfered items include cartons of cigarettes, watches and jewelry, the newspaper said.

Hilton's publicist, Elliot Mintz, said his client was not aware of the charges and had no comment.

The U.S. Transportation Security Administration, which employs the screeners, played a key role in the investigation. The TSA has been trying to crack down on theft by airport employees, Velasquez told the newspaper.

• 4 months later...
Bangkok Police and officials of the Airport of Thailand said today they have broken up an airport gang that was stealing items from travellers suitcases and selling them to Rangsit department stores.

In a press release that was almost free of facts, AoT managing director Chotisak Asupwiriya nevertheless assured the public that travel is now safer because of the breakup of the ring.

The Post Publishing Public Co

A few tips:

Zippers on the side of a soft case are opened and access gained to the main compartment by slitting the inside of this side pocket. Hard to spot when you collect your bag.

I never put my home address on the luggage tag, just the name of my local travel agent. No need to advertise the fact that you are away from home.

I put bright coloured tape around the handle of my case: makes it easy recognise as it moves around the caroselle. Too many cases look the same thes days.

Hire some ex-Mossad (Israeli Secret Police) to do security at SUV swamp airport. That will yield some results. ...or any outsiders with real security experience. Thais won't seriously police fellow Thais - there would be too much commeraderie and maipenrainess.

Chubb held all the security contracts at Don Muang, and their people were originally trained by ex-Mossad Israelis ... when Suwannathingy was being built the security contracts were broken up into various components (gates, baggage, cash in transit [when they still had the airport tax] etc etc) and I seem to recall that Chubb lost a lot of these contracts. Can't remember the name of who they lost it to but it was a JV involving a local conglomerate and there are now the usual allegations of bribery & corruption in the bid tender process.

Whilst I've never had anything stolen, and I follow the 'never put anything valuable in your checked bag' rule, I admit I just have less confidence in security (and frankly most other things) at Suwannathingy than I did at Don Muang. The only thing that does seem to have improved is Immigration...

CC

Where was the luggage broken in to? Seeing as the bags would be sitting around in BKK before they are loaded on the plane, and hopefully, quickly unloaded at the destination, I bet BKK is the culprit.

It is not always possible to carry all valubles on board. We buy a suitcase full of samples on our trips to BKK. Far to much to carry on board.

Lets stop blaming the victims and start on the the thieving little bastards at BKK airport.

It happened to me twice, both times I was departured from BK.

In 1998, flewing back to the US, one of my two checked-in luggage was missing. I filed a claim with my airline and they paid me at the maximum of $860. Since I bougth the airfare ticket with AX credit card, I also did a claim and sent me a cashier check over $2600. The amount of the check based on what you claimed your values, no question ask or any receipt to proof. :D

Again, on the flight out of BK on Feb '07, both of my checked-in luggage had the locks cut off. I check some of my contents; several items like silk winter-jacket and a pair of croisonair vases (which I bought from a trip to China weeks earlier) were gone. :o