Can I Import A Tv From The Uk?

Jookster

I know that Thailand and the UK both have PAL, but is it a compatible PAL. Also what about the electricity differences.

Is it true there is no tax on televisions?

Thanks

It'll work but you will either tune to Picture and get no sound or tune to sound and get no picture.

It is PAL but the band spacing between sound and picture is different to UK. Electricity in Thailand is 230v/50Hz.

I thought everything in Thailand has VAT of 7%

Thanks Ben,

Thanks to all!

I check out your website Ben, interesting that your company prefers LCD. I find LCD's to be rather noisy, and their lower contrast and black levels are well known. (LCD projectors are another matter though).

Actually someone told me that the reason that LCD projectors exhibit less digital artefacts than LCD televisions is that there is no crossover of internal components. Is that true?

Is the Samsung up there with the Panny and Pioneer? The Panny is just so cheap in the UK now.

Cheers

Samsung 50" Plasma can be had for circa 90k baht here in Thailand if you search around, I wouldn't bother importing one - it will raise a few eyebrows at customs and could turn out to be tricky.

This reminds me of the story about the Manchester United guy who was stopped at the airport en-route to some holiday resort in Spain carrying a small portable television. When asked why he was taking his portable TV he replied that Manchester United were playing in the European cup and the match was being shown on Spanish television but the sound commentary was in Spanish so he was taking his own TV to have the English commentary.

Thanks Ben,

Thanks to all!

I check out your website Ben, interesting that your company prefers LCD. I find LCD's to be rather noisy, and their lower contrast and black levels are well known. (LCD projectors are another matter though).

Actually someone told me that the reason that LCD projectors exhibit less digital artefacts than LCD televisions is that there is no crossover of internal components. Is that true?

Is the Samsung up there with the Panny and Pioneer? The Panny is just so cheap in the UK now.

Cheers

Samsung 50" Plasma can be had for circa 90k baht here in Thailand if you search around, I wouldn't bother importing one - it will raise a few eyebrows at customs and could turn out to be tricky.

The newer LCDs have two to three times the contrast ratio of even Tv's from late last year - The noise is likely to be from upscaling a poor source, load up a HD film and there isn't really any. I have a 480p DLP projector and that gives me the best picture for UBC I have seen, why not go for a front projection system? only downside is daylight I guess.

I know that Thailand and the UK both have PAL, but is it a compatible PAL. Also what about the electricity differences.

Thanks

TV's in Thailand work on a PAL G system while UK sets use PAL I. The difference is in the sound frequencies and this is usually just a software change that can be done by any competent television engineer, the picture is the same system. The other big difference though is that Thai TV is transmitted on both the VHF and UHF frequencies (dual band) while the UK only uses UHF. A few sets sold in the UK are dual band sets and if yours is one of them it will work in Thailand with just the software change. If it's just a 'UHF' set however the cost of converting it would probably be too much to make it viable. If you intend having satellite here in Thailand your set will work connecting it to the satellite receiver via the scart socket. Electricity voltages are the same in Thailand and the UK. The cost of a TV set in Thailand is similar to UK prices. (but I haven't looked at UK prices for about a year now)

I have a 480p DLP projector and that gives me the best picture for UBC I have seen ...

:o GIGO. I don't think I've ever seen anything from UBC that isn't full of artefacts, noise, sparklies, etc. (analogue, digital, cable, satellite, whatever delivery method is used).

I don’t think that’s true. Try to look it up here.

For a colour television set, 100% import duty, plus VAT. Duty is calculated at landed cost value. VAT is calculated on landed cost plus duty.

If you bring the set as part of your luggage, freight is calculated at 1% of first class air fare per kg to arrive at landed cost.

--

Maestro

I have a 480p DLP projector and that gives me the best picture for UBC I have seen ...

:o GIGO. I don't think I've ever seen anything from UBC that isn't full of artefacts, noise, sparklies, etc. (analogue, digital, cable, satellite, whatever delivery method is used).

The Image is fairly soft although not overly so, I have never seen any noise on any program, I run the UBC through S-Video to a DVD recorder which then outputs progressive component to the amplifier, which also does its own conversion before I feed out component to the projector. Ihave never been able to replicate this with a HD projector in others homes, either I get a GREAT satellite signal or its the 480p projector.

The Image is fairly soft although not overly so, I have never seen any noise on any program, I run the UBC through S-Video to a DVD recorder which then outputs progressive component to the amplifier, which also does its own conversion before I feed out component to the projector. Ihave never been able to replicate this with a HD projector in others homes, either I get a GREAT satellite signal or its the 480p projector.

I'm surprised. You're very lucky.

I think it would work - I brought a Panasonic VHS video and a Sony home theatre (amp) system in.

UBC / VHS / DVD / PC (Digital Audio) - AMP - TV - Amp (Audio out)

The main problem was matching all the outputs / inputs with no scart.

The rear of the cabinet is a mess!

Thanks

TV's in Thailand work on a PAL G system while UK sets use PAL I. The difference is in the sound frequencies and this is usually just a software change that can be done by any competent television engineer, the picture is the same system. The other big difference though is that Thai TV is transmitted on both the VHF and UHF frequencies (dual band) while the UK only uses UHF. A few sets sold in the UK are dual band sets and if yours is one of them it will work in Thailand with just the software change. If it's just a 'UHF' set however the cost of converting it would probably be too much to make it viable. If you intend having satellite here in Thailand your set will work connecting it to the satellite receiver via the scart socket. Electricity voltages are the same in Thailand and the UK. The cost of a TV set in Thailand is similar to UK prices. (but I haven't looked at UK prices for about a year now)

RESOLUTION, my friend resolution. The Thai tv manufacturers are more honest than the UK shops which say a tv is HDready. Here Sony will say SD...Standard definition, HD high definition or FULL HD full high definition.

You must compare like with like or price comparison is wortlhess.

Go for 1080p....thats the best and will not date for many years. At the moment there is no HD broadcast tv in Thailand but three sat channels with HD tv. HD/FHD will soon be out for dvd's !

Anyhow other than shop soiled old models etc Thailand tv's are cheaper generally so why bring over 6000 miles where there is transit damage possibility and no guarantee !!

Thanks

RESOLUTION, my friend resolution. The Thai tv manufacturers are more honest than the UK shops which say a tv is HDready. Here Sony will say SD...Standard definition, HD high definition or FULL HD full high definition.

Go for 1080p....thats the best and will not date for many years. At the moment there is no HD broadcast tv in Thailand but three sat channels with HD tv. HD/FHD will soon be out for dvd's !

Anyhow other than shop soiled old models etc Thailand tv's are cheaper generally so why bring over 6000 miles where there is transit damage possibility and no guarantee !!

Sorry mate what point that I made are you reffering to?

Cheers

Hey Ben,

Maybe you can explain why my Sanyo Z1 projector provides such a great picture with SD DVD compared to a relatively tiny 32/37 inch LCD television which can have all sorts of digital artefacts?

Thanks

I believe its the scaling and from what I've seen effects slightly older LCDs worse, I can only think that the upscaling to HD resolution (all LCD TV's of 32"+ are HD) adds noise and macroblocking somehow.

Thanks

Sorry mate what point that I made are you reffering to?

Cheers

You wrote "The cost of a TV set in Thailand is similar to UK prices" ....you've got to check the resolution to ensure you are comparing a similar resolution product !!

I imported all my household goods, I used a reputable company both ends, for half a contained I paid £500+ insurance, nothing got damaged or went missing, and the agent in Bangkok was particularly helpful with customs inspection, import duty in all cost me.......... are you sitting down......... 1,200 baht (I was expecting it to be many times this amount) and all the electrical’s get stamped in your passport.

Yes the TV does't work with normal reception, but UBC, DVD players and consoles work just fine.