Oops! Gun cleaner shoots himself in the leg outside Suvarnabhumi police station

webfact

Oops! Gun cleaner shoots himself in the leg outside Suvarnabhumi police station

7pm.jpg

A gun cleaner servicing police weapons admitted it was all his own fault after he shot himself outside Bangkok's main airport police station.

Damrongkiat, 40 - a trader who sells uniforms and insignia to police and cleans their weapons - had already worked on three guns without incident. 

Then he came to a Glock 9mm - he said he forgot to remove the magazine and adjust the barrel slide. 

He shot himself clean through the left leg when the gun went off

"It's all my own fault," he said adding. "It was lucky it didn't hit a main artery". 

Jularata Suwannaphum rescue foundation took him to Jularat Hospital after the incident on Wednesday. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-03-07

When I was in the military if you didn't take the magazine off and rack the slide 3 or 4 times before pointing the weapon into a sand pit and then pulling the trigger, the duty armourer would kick your ass several times as a memory aid. Even more so if there was still a round in the chamber that you fired into the sand pit.

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm surprised we are not hearing of more similar stories... All the BiB I know carry their Guns with a round chambered, I'm told its the way they are taught. 

That’s how all police are taught. 

49 minutes ago, billd766 said:

When I was in the military if you didn't take the magazine off and rack the slide 3 or 4 times before pointing the weapon into a sand pit and then pulling the trigger, the duty armourer would kick your ass several times as a memory aid. Even more so if there was still a round in the chamber that you fired into the sand pit.

Biggest rookie mistake I've seen.

Guy ejected the rounds into his beret on a full strip and clean of his slr and mag'

Worked the slide 20 times on a 20 round magazine.

Edit.

Should explain that doing that leaves one in the chamber as the first time you don't eject a round so you end up with a loaded cocked slr.

I started off by laughing at this chap then I remembered a young copper in NSW Australia shooting himself in the groin while clearing his Glock at the end of shift, he unfortunately got the artery with fatal results.

It is still amazing that the police get outsiders to clean their weapons, lack of training is so obvious, a friend is a local police officer and qualified to carry a gun simply by turning up for a lecture and putting a down payment on the gun, scares the life out of me.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

You would think that the gun owner (copper) would ensure that the weapon was safe to handle prior to passing it off to the "gun cleaner". The multiple levels of stupidity some people exhibit sometime baffle me. 

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i owned a Glock in the states. since when does a policeman hand his loaded firearm to anyone? 

One wonders how the officer in this video got this job. It doesn't look like it was based on competency. 

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm surprised we are not hearing of more similar stories... All the BiB I know carry their Guns with a round chambered, I'm told its the way they are taught. 

Kind of useless otherwise isn’t it?

Bad guy wait just a few moments while I rack a round into the chamber. There, that’s it, ok now I can defend myself and others!

You have no clue!

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Same same with me. And, the quick in the area were more than "several times"! What an a..hole!

Never handed my weapons to anyone else to clean. Remove and empty magazine, rack the slide a few times, observe visually and press your finger into the chamber. 

Check, double check, triple check. No room for error. 

2 hours ago, PJPom said:

I started off by laughing at this chap then I remembered a young copper in NSW Australia shooting himself in the groin while clearing his Glock at the end of shift, he unfortunately got the artery with fatal results.

It is still amazing that the police get outsiders to clean their weapons, lack of training is so obvious, a friend is a local police officer and qualified to carry a gun simply by turning up for a lecture and putting a down payment on the gun, scares the life out of me.

And if there is lax supervision then here's opportunity to steal the weapons.

Supposedly a gun cleaning professional and still doesn't know how to handle a gun.

Rule number one of handling firearms: A gun is always loaded.

Rule number two of handling firearms: A gun is always loaded. 

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

13 hours ago, lust said:

It’s also the fault of the officer who gave him a loaded gun to clean. He should have cleared and emptied his magazine for cleaning.

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

I carried a gun daily for almost 20 years.  Always had a round in the chamber!  Never went on duty with an empty chamber.  Yes, I agree that the officer who gave him the loaded gun has some fault in this.  The officer should have cleared the weapon and given it to him with no magazine and the slide locked backed, then with a quick visual check and anyone could see if it was a safe weapon.  

Absolutely, take the magazine out the gun, then remove the round from the chamber, rack the slide 3 or 4 times, put the barrel into a "clearing barrel"  or sand pit, pull the trigger, then lock the slide back.

Ultimately it's the fault of the guy who didn't do a safety check first and has the negligent discharge.  What in the hell is the guy doing cleaning guns out in public like that anyway.  Wait, this is in Thailand....nevermind.

I love the DEA agent video!  What a fool!  He tried to sue the DEA for "damaging his character" because the video was released.  I remember him saying how much of a professional he was, and he had personally been damaged and wanted big money from the DEA.   The funniest part was that in the video before he shoots himself, he says "I am the only one in this room who is professional enough to carry this Glock."  ????‍♂️   You never take your weapon out in public like that and wave it around, it stays in your holster until you have the legal reason to unholster it...

18 hours ago, lust said:

It’s also the fault of the officer who gave him a loaded gun to clean. He should have cleared and emptied his magazine for cleaning.

Up to a point yes. but the gun safety I was taught is that the first thing YOU do when handed a gun is to check it's clear for your own benefit !

Clearly this guy has had no training at all, he just does this for work!

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

ven more so if there was still a round in the chamber that you fired into the sand

Thai friend did that. Forgot about the ole one bullet left in the chamber trick. Straight in the guts. He's lived to tell the tale.

Archived