European alternatives to Thailand

seasia

17 hours ago, swissie said:

All fine and good. It's just that "Living-Expenses" are higher than in SE-Asia. No matter how you slice it.

Not a good destination for folks that are having problems complying with the new financial requirements for a "retirement-extension" in Thailand.

Hi

It depends on how you want to live.

A western/euorpean lifestyle here can be more expensive.

Some examples from Italy which is not really amongst the lower cost countries.

I can buy bottled water there cheaper than here, it is also of course generally safe to drink the tap water.

Fruit juice is 50 % more expensive here than Italy.

Wine here is 400/500 % more expensive here.

Beer here is more expensive.

Pasta here is more expensive.

Cheese is up to 4 x more expensive.

Pasta is about double price here.

The fruit tastes better there.

Cars stop at pedestrian crossings.

There is less pollution.

The roads are safer.

The medical facilities are better.

I do not currently have a problem with the financial requirements.

Permission extension thru to next year, no issue.

Yet I will be giving up 5 months of that by going abroad.

Transport is more expensive in Italy, by a long shot unless you buy a car, cheaper there than here.

Not actually looking for cheaper, just better.

Each to their own of course.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, seasia said:

Not actually looking for cheaper, just better.

It appears Thailand has caught up to many western countries in price, but not in quality.  

No problem paying cheap, for a cheap product, but when you are paying western prices, and getting a cheap product, then maybe time to reassess.   

6 hours ago, CLW said:

From experience travelling in Europe before coming to Asia I can say that if you want to have a comparable climate (IMO even more comfortable) there's only the Canary Island.

All year round 25° C degrees and no rainy season. Perfect place for nature and outdoor lovers. Downside, except the tourist centers with inflated prices both rent and food there's no nightlife.
Grocery food prices are cheap, there's even discount markets there. If you are mostly cooking by yourself it helps to keep costs down.

Cyprus and Madeira stay pretty warm year round.

Morocco and Tunisia would be also be a good bets climate wise, but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

2 hours ago, Pharoticus said:

Cyprus and Madeira stay pretty warm year round.

Morocco and Tunisia would be also be a good bets climate wise, but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

Hi

Thanks

Yes, Cyrus has been mentioned as an option.

You are the first with Madeira, had not given it a thought.

So for year round, appears Canary Islands, Cyprus and Madeira all good options for good climate.

3 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi

Thanks

Yes, Cyrus has been mentioned as an option.

You are the first with Madeira, had not given it a thought.

So for year round, appears Canary Islands, Cyprus and Madeira all good options for good climate.

Yes, but they all involve being stuck on an island!

IMO, Madeira is the most interesting of the three, but I for one wouldn't want to be "stranded" out in the Atlantic.

Have you thought about Israel or Turkey?

Broaden  your horizons ,     Cuba   fantastic friendly people ,  not expensive ,

and the  ladies ,   they dont want you to leave them in the morning ,

go to their homes and meet their  famillies ,,, not robbing bstds , same LOS ,

It was  a great  experience ,, nice people , on my bucket  list .

None of these countries compare to Thailand. I have been to all of them. 
If it must be european then i would say, pick any from the ones mentioned above. They are ok. But dont even come close.

1 hour ago, A1Str8 said:

. They are ok. But dont even come close.

I guess that depends on what you want or what you consider to be great living

If it must be european then i would say, pick any from the ones mentioned above. They are ok. But dont even come close.
Not close in what way? If you are going to contribute then please add some value.

This is an interesting topic. My thoughts are that if you are not income constrained it would make sense to have a base in Europe and travel to Thailand using the tourist visa options. You can avoid all the crap that surrounds the immigration visa and avoid paying through the nose for an elite visa. So 5 months in Thailand and a couple of months in another SE Asia destination (Vietnam, Bali, Malaysia, etc) in-between visas, with the rest of the time in Europe. Cyprus is good for taxation and relatively inexpensive. The point about being a bit boring is valid, and that's why having the best of both worlds is a good option. I personally enjoy the vibe in Thailand ... you can have a great time no matter what age you are. In Europe you have less options on the social scene and you're a bit out of place in nightclubs once you've left your twenties.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

This is an interesting topic. My thoughts are that if you are not income constrained it would make sense to have a base in Europe and travel to Thailand using the tourist visa options. You can avoid all the crap that surrounds the immigration visa and avoid paying through the nose for an elite visa. So 5 months in Thailand and a couple of months in another SE Asia destination (Vietnam, Bali, Malaysia, etc) in-between visas, with the rest of the time in Europe. Cyprus is good for taxation and relatively inexpensive. The point about being a bit boring is valid, and that's why having the best of both worlds is a good option. I personally enjoy the vibe in Thailand ... you can have a great time no matter what age you are. In Europe you have less options on the social scene and you're a bit out of place in nightclubs once you've left your twenties.

theres also an issue of being constrained in mobility,

for me its one place or the other,

and i suspect that to be the case for many retirees

On 3/9/2019 at 12:45 PM, bkk6060 said:

How many 25 year old women are willing and available to hangout with 65 year old men in any of these countries?

I'll pass thanks....

What you say is at the back of everybody's mind on this thread. Only, they pretend it weren't the case. 

If you are gay or want to be on your own all the time there are plenty of eligible countries out there. Cheaper than Thailand and better in many respects.

Note that Germany is hot in the summer and still offers affordable mongering opportunities. No tax exemption if you stay over 183 days though.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:05 PM, Jingthing said:

Croatia?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Croatia - Yes on the coast, and can see the snow on the mountains just behind in the winter... [same as Provence's 83 and 06 in S France - yes lived there also]  but go over the mountains inland in Croatia = cold winters...  On/around the Black sea in Bulgaria another option.....  Been to Malta a few times and like it cheap and friendly... Greek Islands yes but not sure I would like to live there all year round + somethings are very expensive.  Lived in southern Portugal for many years, but after they joined the EU prices went out of control, people appeared to change from laid back to money grabbing over the years [left in 1999 and made a few trips here at different times of the year - moving here early 2004] .. 

5 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I personally enjoy the vibe in Thailand ... you can have a great time no matter what age you are. In Europe you have less options on the social scene and you're a bit out of place in nightclubs once you've left your twenties.

Plus double good.

4 hours ago, brokenbone said:

theres also an issue of being constrained in mobility,

for me its one place or the other,

and i suspect that to be the case for many retirees

Yes, and many Thailand dwellers have wives, gf and families. But for someone who travels light it is doable. You’d also need a higher budget ... but if you own an apartment in Cyprus the yearly costs are minimal.

17 hours ago, A1Str8 said:

You sure you've ever been to Mediterranean countries?

Thailand is way behind. Think: rampant corruption, dishonest people, piss-poor infrastructure, woeful sanitation and pollution galore.

Comparing Thailand with the Med is like comparing a gourmet-cooked steak to McDonald's.

12 hours ago, JackGats said:

What you say is at the back of everybody's mind on this thread. Only, they pretend it weren't the case. 

If you are gay or want to be on your own all the time there are plenty of eligible countries out there. Cheaper than Thailand and better in many respects.

Note that Germany is hot in the summer and still offers affordable mongering opportunities. No tax exemption if you stay over 183 days though.

Medical insurance in Germany will be an issue unless you come from another EU country with an S1 form. But then the tax man will want to know. Germany is very bureaucratic. Climatewise it is no alternative to Thailand. German summers may be hot, they may be wet and cold.

Cost of living is high esp. housing.

20 hours ago, JackGats said:

1. no, it really isnt, the fact that a 25 year old is not attracted

to me alone is such a turn-off for me that i wont even contemplate it

2. note that germany is yet another ice cold shithole,

whoremongering or not, its not on the table lest we get an actual climate change, but that wont be happening for millenniums,

if at all, and even then odds are in favor of yet another ice age on top of the one we live in already

On 3/11/2019 at 5:05 PM, A1Str8 said:

In what way do any of the many countries mentioned/suggested "dont even come close " to Thailand?

There is a very long list on the thread, have you really been to all of them ?

Let us see now, Thailand usually No. 1 for road deaths in the world.

Chiang Mai  Thailand seems to have been claimed most polluted city in the world.

Some of the other countries have far lower corruption levels than Thailand.

Some of the others have better health systems.

How is Thailand way ahead of  these ?

Thailand has both positives and negatives.

6 hours ago, seasia said:

In what way do any of the many countries mentioned/suggested "dont even come close " to Thailand?

There is a very long list on the thread, have you really been to all of them ?

Let us see now, Thailand usually No. 1 for road deaths in the world.

Chiang Mai  Thailand seems to have been claimed most polluted city in the world.

Some of the other countries have far lower corruption levels than Thailand.

Some of the others have better health systems.

How is Thailand way ahead of  these ?

Thailand has both positives and negatives.

higher crime rates (murder and shootings)

Thailand certainly isn't what it used to be and we have seen the best of it. However, wherever you go there is the serious possibility of reverse culture shock after this looney place.

I am staying in Thailand for now, but studying alternatives as a back up if the Visa / health insurance problem kicks in.

Europe does not appeal to anyone suffering from Cockitis who likes Oriental girls. Nuff said.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Has anyone spent time in both Andalusia  and Thailand?

Any thoughts ?

The former seems a nice region, climate quite good, costs not too high.

I came across this property web site with plenty of listings there,some of the places to rent seemed competitive in comparison to Thailand.

https://www.idealista.com/en/

Thanks to the O.P. for starting the topic. 

Alternatives to Thailand that are in ASEAN are always covered well here already.

I started a thread specifically about alternatives in LATIN AMERICA.

There are some other possibilities as well that may not fit in the existing topics.

For examples --

South Africa (Africa)

Georgia (Eurasia)

Armenia (Eurasia)

Question - would you include EURASIA as fitting in this topic, or not? 

Have just scrolled through THE thread but i would say;

Albania.

One of the poorest countries in Europe with cattel om the Streets and stuff like that but very friendly People and great value for money. Nice Long costline with the adriatic sea.

Not the ideal place for the Winter and not part of EC. Have to check My passport to see how long they let me stay. But I think 90 days and after that a border run?

Skickat från min Lenovo TB-X704F via Tapatalk

Have just scrolled through THE thread but i would say;

Albania.

One of the poorest countries in Europe with cattel om the Streets and stuff like that but very friendly People and great value for money. Nice Long costline with the adriatic sea.

Not the ideal place for the Winter and not part of EC. Have to check My passport to see how long they let me stay. But I think 90 days and after that a border run?

Some time ago I saw a short documentary entitled "Albania - Cheapest holiday country in Europe".

People seemed friendly there but lack of infrastructure and basic amenities.
Good for a short stay but longer, I'm not so sure...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Some time ago I saw a short documentary entitled "Albania - Cheapest holiday country in Europe".

People seemed friendly there but lack of infrastructure and basic amenities.
Good for a short stay but longer, I'm not so sure...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well You have a point, its lowcost or high quality. Cant have both.

Roads were fine if You dont Travel too much to the nowere. Accomondation and food fine. Relative the cost most likley great. Found everyting I needed in the supermarket att very low costs. Not sure about medical care.

It may be too booring for Long time, not sure abouth golf courses and such stuff. There are most likley no expat club!

Archived