Local Knowledge About Condo

Snowbirds

Last year, we had enjoyed reading and got a few tips from Equifay, taxexile and a few others, thanks.

In January, we came to Thailand and Hua Hin for two weeks to look around for a retirement place. There were many friends in our home town of Seattle warning us not to go to a very dangerous place as Thailand due to the New year bombing. However, we could not and would not give up our dream and our normal life style for any low life terrorist. So we booked tickets after the new year and came to Thailand any way. And we even more sure that this Hua Hin or Cha Um area is a great place to live. We plan to buy a 4-wheels drive SUV, two sets of golf clubs and a few fishing poles as a part of our retirement package for this area.

Now, we may have some idea but still needed an opinion from any local fellows, who knows the area much better than us. If you could, which condo in Cha Um or Hua Hin area is the best bet that you would considering as a good buy or lease? And why?

Thank you for your help in advance.

I came back from a month's stay in Hua Hin in January. While there I stayed at Palm Pavillions Condo along the beach in Cha Am, north of Hua Hin.

The condo was about 60 sq meters and they were going for 7 million baht or so. You can probably find out more on the internet

The location was great. Right by the beach with an infinity pool

When we were there the sea breeze blew almost all the time. We kept our condo door open and seldom had to use the aircondition.

I'm not sure what it's like at other times of the year and during the hot season.

The condo was spacious.

The construction was mediocre...as are a lot of condos in Thailand

A lot of Thai condos don't have built in kitchens...so most people install a small kitchen area with a microwave or small hot plate.

Other than the pool, though, there's not much to do but swim and walk along the beach.

Another condo that my wife stayed in was at Palm Hills. They have several condos on their property. Since you like golf this would also be a possiblity for you since the Condos are right next to the Palm Hills golf course.

Palm Hills is nice because there's a lot to do. They have a sports club which you can join. It has a pool, wight room, snooker tables, badminton court etc. You can also buy a golf membership so you can golf all you like

If you are into bike riding or jogging, the road in Palm Hills is not heavily travelled so you can bike or jog

That's all I know.

Maybe someone else has other suggestions

I came back from a month's stay in Hua Hin in January. While there I stayed at Palm Pavillions Condo along the beach in Cha Am, north of Hua Hin.

The condo was about 60 sq meters and they were going for 7 million baht or so. You can probably find out more on the internet

The location was great. Right by the beach with an infinity pool

When we were there the sea breeze blew almost all the time. We kept our condo door open and seldom had to use the aircondition.

I'm not sure what it's like at other times of the year and during the hot season.

The condo was spacious.

The construction was mediocre...as are a lot of condos in Thailand

A lot of Thai condos don't have built in kitchens...so most people install a small kitchen area with a microwave or small hot plate.

Other than the pool, though, there's not much to do but swim and walk along the beach.

Another condo that my wife stayed in was at Palm Hills. They have several condos on their property. Since you like golf this would also be a possiblity for you since the Condos are right next to the Palm Hills golf course.

Palm Hills is nice because there's a lot to do. They have a sports club which you can join. It has a pool, wight room, snooker tables, badminton court etc. You can also buy a golf membership so you can golf all you like

If you are into bike riding or jogging, the road in Palm Hills is not heavily travelled so you can bike or jog

That's all I know.

Maybe someone else has other suggestions

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you, Equeefay, your information is very helpful. I did checking the Palm Pavillion condo in January. This is a very nice complex. On my next trip, I would like to take a close look at the Palm Hills residence as well. Cheers

60 sq.m. 1 bed or studio condos at palm pavillion sell for about 4.0 to 5.0 mill., they also have 2 bed condos of 120sq.m. that sell for about 7.5m and some larger 3 bed condos.

the price depends on whether they are in the forward (beachside) building or the lakeside building set back from the beach , and whether they are on a higher or lower floor.

there are some new low rise condo developments under construction in the area , have a look at 'the boathouse' it appears to be well planned and should be finished next year.

also have a look at the condos around the regent cha am (its changed its name now to the holiday inn i think) , they are older condos but well priced and in a good location (if you dont mind being mid way between hua hin and cha am ), within a few minutes walk of the little restaurant, bar and tailor shop village that has grown there to serve the tourists at the regent and rental units around there.

lots of development around there , not all of it bad.

next time you are here , rent a bike or car , drive around and go into each condo , ask at the office if there are any units for sale and ask to see them. the staff will be only too pleased to show you around , the prices will be less than if you go to see the same units via an agent , and you can deal direct with the owner. you dont always need an agent (realtor) to buy.

if you plan on living here 12 months a year , and make the place your permanent home then i would say buy , but only buy into a condo that is well run with an efficient , well organised and helpful office. if you are only going to be here for your winter season , then i would say rent .

either way , the attitude and helpfulness of the condo office staff will go a long way to smoothing out any difficulties and helping with documentation regarding utilities etc. if you dont speak any thai , then staff with reasonable english will be a bonus.

and before you buy or choose a condo , try and rent for a month or so in the block to get a feel of it before you commit to buy.

60 sq.m. 1 bed or studio condos at palm pavillion sell for about 4.0 to 5.0 mill., they also have 2 bed condos of 120sq.m. that sell for about 7.5m and some larger 3 bed condos.

the price depends on whether they are in the forward (beachside) building or the lakeside building set back from the beach , and whether they are on a higher or lower floor.

there are some new low rise condo developments under construction in the area , have a look at 'the boathouse' it appears to be well planned and should be finished next year.

also have a look at the condos around the regent cha am (its changed its name now to the holiday inn i think) , they are older condos but well priced and in a good location (if you dont mind being mid way between hua hin and cha am ), within a few minutes walk of the little restaurant, bar and tailor shop village that has grown there to serve the tourists at the regent and rental units around there.

lots of development around there , not all of it bad.

next time you are here , rent a bike or car , drive around and go into each condo , ask at the office if there are any units for sale and ask to see them. the staff will be only too pleased to show you around , the prices will be less than if you go to see the same units via an agent , and you can deal direct with the owner. you dont always need an agent (realtor) to buy.

if you plan on living here 12 months a year , and make the place your permanent home then i would say buy , but only buy into a condo that is well run with an efficient , well organised and helpful office. if you are only going to be here for your winter season , then i would say rent .

either way , the attitude and helpfulness of the condo office staff will go a long way to smoothing out any difficulties and helping with documentation regarding utilities etc. if you dont speak any thai , then staff with reasonable english will be a bonus.

and before you buy or choose a condo , try and rent for a month or so in the block to get a feel of it before you commit to buy.

Thanks, taxexile for your input and suggestion, we are appreciated very much. We will have a car and any condo between Cha Um and Hua Hin would not be too far. In fact we plan to live in this area for six months or maximum of eight months per year, a lease idea is also great.

I would suggest doing a 4-6 month rental test before you put down B5 million plus... take a look here - they seem to have the condos you are interested in... http://www.longstayers.com/view.php?locati...20Hin&cat=9

Yes, you are right, sfokevin. We are leaning toward renting a condo to get the feel of the area for a few months. We did checkig the link of "longstayers.com", it has a lot of lead. Thank you so much for your help!

Yes, you wouldn't want to buy or even rent where the staff is bad. But you probably have no control over hiring and firing staff. I moved into a decaying condo tower; the resident manager was arrested for embezzlement, and they started telling us we had lost our deposits for which we had receipts (not true). They closed the pool, the outdoor restaurant, scrimped on maintenance and repairs, etc. I just went back for first time in 20 months. They've closed the indoor restaurant, and the place keeps going downhill. You cannot control it, unless your owner's association can fire your staff.

A farang can't own even a condo unless half the units are owned by Thais, right? And you'd have a hard time selling it when you're ready to quit, right?

I say it's better to rent, since rents run about 6% per year times the (inflated) value of the condo.

Yes, you wouldn't want to buy or even rent where the staff is bad. But you probably have no control over hiring and firing staff. I moved into a decaying condo tower; the resident manager was arrested for embezzlement, and they started telling us we had lost our deposits for which we had receipts (not true). They closed the pool, the outdoor restaurant, scrimped on maintenance and repairs, etc. I just went back for first time in 20 months. They've closed the indoor restaurant, and the place keeps going downhill. You cannot control it, unless your owner's association can fire your staff.

A farang can't own even a condo unless half the units are owned by Thais, right? And you'd have a hard time selling it when you're ready to quit, right?

I say it's better to rent, since rents run about 6% per year times the (inflated) value of the condo.

Thanks a million, peaceBlondie, I agreed and I will focus to rent a condo instead of buying. Man, owning a bad management condo would be a nightmare indeed! If you do not mind, would you please kindly PM me, which condo I should not even look at?

Only a few days on this topic, I have got a clear picture and asnwer. I'd like to express further that I am feeling so thanksful to become one of Thaivisa forum's members. Because majority of senior members, especially Hou Hin section, have been so friendly and kind in spending time and effort to help the new member like me. Cheers.