3bb VPN router recommendation

Yewbzee

I’m currently subscribed to 3bb with a 50mbs connection. The internet speed is very good as advertised and very solid using the basic 3bb router but I’m looking to change my router set up to allow me to connect to a VPN at the point of the router itself. The cheap 3bb routers don’t have this functionality. 

I have a very good ASUS router but when I connect through that instead of the 3bb router and put it into VPN mode the connection speed drops massively. Can anyone recommend a good router or VPN combo set up that would work well? I’m not sure if it’s the VPN router settings that are causing the drop or if it’s the VPN subscription itself.

Do you have ONT device + router combo or just one white router device?

if you have ont, which I assume not, because they like to give this combination to higher speed users, you can connect asus router directly to ONT device which converts fiber signals to ethernet signals.

If not, you need to switch 3bb fiberhome router to bridge mode, and connect from Asus router using pppoe login and password. If it works, then you can activate openvpn.

Or you can use a cheap router like gl-inet from china as a secondary device and it can create a new network with openvpn for you so you can watch stuff on your tv etc.

What specific 3BB and ASUS router models do you currently have?  A lot of these kinds of issues are model dependent.

FWIW, I have that exact setup at my home -- a 3BB fiber router-modem that's required in order to access the 3BB fiber connection, and then my own ASUS router that uses its own internal firmware VPN client without any problem whatsoever. The 3BB router provides a Thai internet connection via wifi, while my ASUS router provides a home country VPN internet connection via its wifi.

The cabling setup for that is to run an Ethernet cable from one of the 3BB router's LAN ports out to the one WAN port of the ASUS router, and then, set the ASUS router's base IP address to a different subnet from the 3BB router so they don't conflict.

In other words, the 3BB router I have has a base IP address of 192.168.1.1.  Normally, my ASUS router would use the same IP address. So I needed to assign the ASUS router a different subnet, such as 192,168,X.1, where X is any other number but 1.

Also, a couple other details on the ASUS router: you want to make sure all of its settings values for VPN pass thru are set to ON. And, under Quality of Service, you want to set both values to high Mbps values that exceed the capability of your 3BB plan.

Also of note, I've had the Huawei N 2.4Ghz single band fiber router for many years from 3BB without any problem, but lately it developed one. So they brought out a new, dual band, AC class Huawei fiber router, and I thought GREAT, I'd been wanting to get AC wifi on my 3BB router, except, once the dual band model was installed, it absolutely would NOT send signal to my ASUS router with VPN turned on... But as soon as I turned off VPN on the ASUS router, then the 3BB router would pass data to it fine.

Multiple 3BB techs, to their credit, spent hours at my home trying to solve that problem but never could. So I ended up having 3BB bring out a different unit of the original single band Huawei N single band fiber router, and bingo, everything OK again for feeding data to my ASUS router with its VPN connection.

One other detail: depending on how powerful the chipset is on your particular ASUS router, it may or may not do a good job running an Open VPN client via its internal firmware. On mine, which isn't that powerful a chipset, if I run it with an OpenVPN setting, the speeds slow down drastically. But if I switch the connection to L2TP with the same VPN service and server location, the speed triples or quadruples.

A VPN residing on your computer will start the VPN tunnel from your computer to the exit point. A VPN residing on your router starts the VP from the router to the exit point. Unless you have more than one computer or other electronic devices requiring a VPN is there really a need for a router based VPN?

VPNs are a crap shoot in quality. If you have a fairly cheap VPN the odds are greater they are selling you data to offset the cost of their equipment, time and profits. Or if they are not selling your data, maybe they have low infrastructure investments. Nothing is free. You will pay for it one way or the other.

I have my own VPN that I run on a server that is located in the USA. Sometimes I get crappy connection speeds. If I do traceroutes etc I find lots of latency between here and the USA when connection speeds are slow.

10 minutes ago, jmd8800 said:

I have my own VPN that I run on a server that is located in the USA. Sometimes I get crappy connection speeds. If I do traceroutes etc I find lots of latency between here and the USA when connection speeds are slow.

For many years, I've used the Astrill VPN service and got excellent speeds and reliability between TH and the U.S., as well as lots of server location choices. The one downside with Astrill is spotty customer service, but if you know what you're doing, once you've got a subscription, pretty much everything else is in your own hands.

Because Astrill this Black Friday season did not offer any promotional discounts, and I wanted to find a different VPN provider to have and use as a backup that would meet my needs for unblocking video streaming services from the U.S., I tried and have been able to make good use with the Express VPN service. Not as many viable U.S. server choices and not as fast as Astrill IME, but definitely workable and much better customer service support.

At this point, I know I can use either of them successfully, meaning they work with Hulu, Amazon, etc etc... and just decide which to go with in the future at renewal time based on pricing and any other factors that may emerge over time.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:12 AM, marcusarelus said:

3bb sold me a D-Link-825.  Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it works with Express VPN?

I've been using Express VPN with 3BB's Huawei HG8245H fiber modem router and my own ASUS RT-AC58U, and had no problems whatsoever with OVPN, L2TP and PPTP.

But as I mentioned above, when 3BB recently and temporarily swapped out that Huawei model for a different Huawei one with dual band AC wifi, that dual band Huawei model for some reason would not support a connection with my Express VPN service on my ASUS router.  3BB techs tried and tried to get it working, but couldn't.  But as soon as I switched off VPN on my ASUS router, then it would send data via the ASUS router just fine.  Which obviously would have defeated the purpose of me using the ASUS router as a VPN wifi source.

'

We have used ScotHosts (now LibertyShield) for literally years; both here and in the Eastern Caribbean.  

We can use the VPN directly from laptops, phones, iPad and so on, but we also have a little router that just plugs into our router, and broadcasts another SSID, which you can define if you want to.  The router itself, including postage, within the UK, was under £20, but of course there is a VPN subscrition on top of that.  The main website would display the options.

https://libertyshield.kayako.com/article/19-quick-start-guide-for-vpn-routers

https://www.libertyshield.com/

With this, we have watched the Six Nations rugby seemlessly (on BBC and ITV) and various other UK tv live and catch up services, as well as using it for banking and so on.

Just for context, our wifi, in our apartment is only 10mb, so not the fasted by a long way, so the little added router isn't taking too much of it.  If it does, the guys on the support desk can alter the settings their end for optimisation.  (I did that bit before leaving UK.)

We have always been very happy with this bunch.  There are cheaper, but Scothosts/LibertyShield support is superb, and nothing is too much trouble.

(Looks like they also do a 48 hour free trial.)

On 3/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been using Express VPN with 3BB's Huawei HG8245H fiber modem router and my own ASUS RT-AC58U, and had no problems whatsoever with OVPN, L2TP and PPTP.

But as I mentioned above, when 3BB recently and temporarily swapped out that Huawei model for a different Huawei one with dual band AC wifi, that dual band Huawei model for some reason would not support a connection with my Express VPN service on my ASUS router.  3BB techs tried and tried to get it working, but couldn't.  But as soon as I switched off VPN on my ASUS router, then it would send data via the ASUS router just fine.  Which obviously would have defeated the purpose of me using the ASUS router as a VPN wifi source.

'

BTW, I didn't have it with me at the time of my prior post above, but the dual band AC wifi router that 3BB tried to give me recently that would NOT work with my ASUS VPN-enabled router using Express VPN was the Huawei HG8145 V5.

https://carrier.huawei.com/en/products/fixed-network/access/cpe/h-series-products/hg8145v5

I don't know why it wouldn't work, lack of VPN pass thru settings or some other issue. And of course, the Huawei techs had no idea either.

So in the end, they gave me a new version of the Huawei HG8245H, the same N, single band Huawei router that I'd had before, and it worked immediately and just fine with my ASUS VPN router, just as the prior unit of the same router that they'd issued to me had worked for several years until it began to malfunction.

http://www.3bb.co.th/uploads/20171020155401EchoLife%20HG8245H.pdf

Archived