Drunk and mangled big biker: I wanna go home - I've got no money

webfact

19 hours ago, Just Weird said:

Your quote said, "...foreigners especially to do with road accidents rarely get fair treatment.."

There's a bit of a difference between foreigners rarely getting fair treatment as a generality and the "number of incidents" that you claim to have heard of.  Which incidents are you referring to that would justify your claim? 

I responded to the question 

On 3/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, Just Weird said:

Why do some people continue to promulgate such inaccurate nonsense?

With the statement 'because it happens'! And it does.

Incidents that spring to mind of one farang neighbour being hit by an underage Thai riding a motorcycle the wrong way on a dual carriageway. The farang could not get a police report unless he/she paid the kid's hospital bill and was responsible for own damage expenses. Another a car ran into the back of a farang friend, Thai driver and police talked, police embezzled  5000 baht from the scared guy, which the two of them split. Another  I just read on another forum, similar. Rammed from behind and having to pay up. 

Unfair treatment, it happens, probably a little more than rarely, although I agree 'rarely getting fair treatment' is an exaggeration. 

Edited by jacko45k

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I responded to the question 

With the statement 'because it happens'! And it does.

Incidents that spring to mind of one farang neighbour being hit by an underage Thai riding a motorcycle the wrong way on a dual carriageway. The farang could not get a police report unless he/she paid the kid's hospital bill and was responsible for own damage expenses. Another a car ran into the back of a farang friend, Thai driver and police talked, police embezzled  5000 baht from the scared guy, which the two of them split. Another  I just read on another forum, similar. Rammed from behind and having to pay up. 

Unfair treatment, it happens, probably a little more than rarely, although I agree 'rarely getting fair treatment' is an exaggeration. 

Just for a bit of empirical balance, and no hearsay, my car with my family in it was hit from behind at speed on the Bangkok/Chonburi motorway some years ago by a Thai driver in an old Crown with no brakes and no insurance.  The police were involved, I was not stitched-up, neither was I blamed or extorted.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 6:41 PM, smedly said:

I have suggested many times that expats should be able to buy into Thai National Healthcare or just charge everyone (millions) coming into Thailand a minimum fee of say 500baht that will cover all those that need it

It is also worth noting that many of the serious accidents foreigners get involved in are not necessarily their fault - many instances they are victims but still end up with hospital bills

he was drunk, so it was his fault. He's not a victim, he is the cause. 

On 3/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, brokenbone said:

he dont have, so the only remaining options is:

dont be honest and dont pay the bill,

or be honest you cant afford the hospital,

which of the two do you prefer ?

who cares?  I am agog with indifference to what happens to this idiot. 

On 3/13/2019 at 5:23 AM, smedly said:

not sure the nationality of the rider of the bike but unless I am reading this all wrong the driver of the pickup was stopped at the lights (Indian) and was rear ended by the bike rider who was drunk. I have absolutely no sympathy for the drunk driver - it is just luck that only he was injured, it could have been anyone

I was out last night and was walking home in the small hours (I have a motorbike that stays at home when I go out), I constantly fear being hit by a drunk driver and I am very careful during my journey to have a clear view of all vehicles both behind and in front of me as I walk because quite a number of them will be drunk - 2am onwards right to 6am it is very dangerous on these roads as drunks drive home  

constantly fear   hmmmm   and if your bike stays at home when you go out,   it never gets ridden,  why you have ????

On 3/13/2019 at 5:40 AM, robblok said:

No sympathy too for the drunk driver, i hope that besides the hospital bill they will give him a high fine. People who drink and drive deserve all that they get.

You were 100% right the Indian was sitting in the car it was the Thai who hit him.

Lucky that this guy did not injure someone else.. only sad part is that the Indian his car is damaged. Would have been better if the drunk hit a concrete post or something. Selfish pricks drinking and driving (same goes for other drugs)

so it was a Thai on the motorbike thanks for the update

4 hours ago, cookieqw said:

constantly fear   hmmmm   and if your bike stays at home when you go out,   it never gets ridden,  why you have ????

I am going to assume you are Thai for obvious reasons 

what a stupid comment and difficult to understand why you bothered, yes I will clock up my mileage going to the bar and getting pissed - right ?

what exact point are you trying to make because it is way over my head and I would assume everybody else's 

I have covered 90,000km in SEA - yes it never gets ridden