Prawit orders review of speeds on intercity and rural roads

webfact

3 minutes ago, mikebell said:
18 hours ago, webfact said:

Prawit, who is in charge of police affairs,

And another thing, isn't it rather ironic he, of all people, should be in charge of law enforcement!

He's obviously enjoying the fringe benefits.

Is he in charge of the autopsy department too, to ensure 'dead friends' reveal nothing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Sukhumvit in Pattaya is flooded with red-light runners doing well over 100kph.  These lights are just outside deserted police stations; deserted because the cops are further up the road harassing/milking foreigners.

Don't kid yourselves people Pattaya traffic is more dangerous than Bangkok due to the reasons above as well as the open areas where the drivers can "let er rip".  Additionally, there are actually some drivers in Bangkok who seem to understand and adhere to some rules.

18 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its actually a good initiative  set maximum speeds limits  indicate these limits on each roads then fine all those ignoring those limits and do something useful with the proceedings.

Reducing speed will reducing accidents..u just install speeding cameras very simple to enforce.

Not in Thailand it won't.  Nobody here gives a toss for speed limits, including the cops.  They have installed lots of speed cameras around the place, most of them are reported to be none operational. This report actually made me laugh.   

He’s failing at his job because the police do nothing.  Start with police working first.  Penalties don’t work, when you can drive with o license and brake failure is a valid excuse to kill a whole family, when it’s not at all the truth-land of no accountability-missing police force 

Edited by Redline

Most of my daily travel is on rural roads along with fish trucks pickups and motorbikes saleangs with no lights combined with mostly drunk or just downright stupid drivers.

E.g last week i watched in horror as a saleang with 2 old ladies and baby pulled out directly in front of a truck, too his credit driver braked safely ... the brain dead ladies DID not even notice 

That said whatever speed limit they choose on a rural road ....... who on earth is going to enforce it

19 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its actually a good initiative  set maximum speeds limits  indicate these limits on each roads then fine all those ignoring those limits and do something useful with the proceedings.

Reducing speed will reducing accidents..u just install speeding cameras very simple to enforce.

Who said anything about reducing speeds. As far as I understand, discussions over the past few years have been to increase the speeds on some roads, and at certain times of the day/night.

The general population has been pushing for this for a long time, and in the ongoing efforts to take away revenue from the police, increasing speed limits fits right in.

In general, many of the current speed limits are too low, considering the improved road systems, and modern vehicles now on the roads.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

They have installed lots of speed cameras around the place, most of them are reported to be none operational.

Wish they were mostly non operational, I got four tickets on my last trip to CM, times are changing - ever so slowly..................

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Sukhumvit in Pattaya is flooded with red-light runners doing well over 100kph.  These lights are just outside deserted police stations; deserted because the cops are further up the road harassing/milking foreigners.

The intersection near ambassador is a real slaughterhouse. Buses, trucks, you name it barrel through without a second thought.

5 hours ago, koosdeboer said:

Maximum weight 12 ton

Thanks that >I< did not have to play killjoy :smile:

About the topic: it's unbelievable that 80 km/h is allowed in innercity/tourist areas.

80 km/h on Pattaya roads.

Criminal negligence.

But as said a 1000 times: not worth doing changes without enforcement, a police force that earns it's name.

2 hours ago, CGW said:

Wish they were mostly non operational, I got four tickets on my last trip to CM, times are changing - ever so slowly..................

Haha, shame that you hit the ones that are working.  Tough luck mate. 

2 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Who said anything about reducing speeds. As far as I understand, discussions over the past few years have been to increase the speeds on some roads, and at certain times of the day/night.

The general population has been pushing for this for a long time, and in the ongoing efforts to take away revenue from the police, increasing speed limits fits right in.

In general, many of the current speed limits are too low, considering the improved road systems, and modern vehicles now on the roads.

speed limits in Thailand are purely academic and must be intended to keep the road sign manufacturers in employment. 

Its actually a good initiative  set maximum speeds limits  indicate these limits on each roads then fine all those ignoring those limits and do something useful with the proceedings. Reducing speed will reducing accidents..u just install speeding cameras very simple to enforce. 

I think you are very wrong - in Germany you have a proper road network with no speed limit at all on certain parts of the Autobahn - if speed would be the cause of accidents Germany would be far ahead of Thailand when it comes to fatalities. While sometimes speed is surely the cause of accidents in Thailand the outdated road network that has always been substandard because of the enormous corruption involved is mostly to blame.

Driver training is more or less non existent in Thailand.

Very often vehicles driving / turning into oncoming traffic and vehicles who drive to slow not even aware of the danger they are putting others in cause accidents.

I have been put into danger countless times on the roads here either by idiots who constantly drive in the right hand lane at low speed or others who crawl along on the left or both combined blocking lanes for the traffic behind them.

But of course the biggest problem here is the people who should never be allowed to drive a vehicle because they are just not able to think ahead even for a minute in their life and who are not intelligent enough to carry out several tasks at the same time required when driving a vehicle and still have an eye on the traffic around them.

Also the Thai trait to ignore rules and regulations does not bode well when one commandeer a vehicle that can kill as the statistics show.

I mean you would not let any idiot fly an airplane without a proper training and a license - so why are people allowed to drive without it - how many people have died in traffic accidents here and how many in planet crashes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

40 minutes ago, boonrawdcnx said:

I think you are very wrong - in Germany you have a proper road network with no speed limit at all on certain parts of the Autobahn - if speed would be the cause of accidents Germany would be far ahead of Thailand when it comes to fatalities. While sometimes speed is surely the cause of accidents in Thailand the outdated road network that has always been substandard because of the enormous corruption involved is mostly to blame.

Driver training is more or less non existent in Thailand.

Very often vehicles driving / turning into oncoming traffic and vehicles who drive to slow not even aware of the danger they are putting others in cause accidents.

I have been put into danger countless times on the roads here either by idiots who constantly drive in the right hand lane at low speed or others who crawl along on the left or both combined blocking lanes for the traffic behind them.

But of course the biggest problem here is the people who should never be allowed to drive a vehicle because they are just not able to think ahead even for a minute in their life and who are not intelligent enough to carry out several tasks at the same time required when driving a vehicle and still have an eye on the traffic around them.

Also the Thai trait to ignore rules and regulations does not bode well when one commandeer a vehicle that can kill as the statistics show.

I mean you would not let any idiot fly an airplane without a proper training and a license - so why are people allowed to drive without it - how many people have died in traffic accidents here and how many in planet crashes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A friend told me that his Thai Father In Law continues to drive a pick up, despite being in the early stages of dementia, partially blind, and on  high dose of psychiatric medication.  Apparently he has no problem renewing his licence? 

I remember when I first started driving in Thailand,as I was unsure of the speed limit on the road I was on,I asked the Thai with me what the speed limit was on that road.His reply  :

200Baht !!!!!!!!

Sounds like ground preparation for the allocation of a large budget for the purchase of electronic signs and more speed cameras.

As well as the commission on the purchase of equipment, there will be a continuing revenue stream from the mountains of tickets issued electronically without any need for sharing or effort by the police. 

The money will will definitely come in as renewal of car registration will be conditional on paying all the tickets.

On 3/13/2019 at 5:37 PM, from the home of CC said:

unless there is pain in the pocket of people (enforced fines)  behavior will not change..

Sadly, the only pocket that will be pained belongs to a farang!  Everyone knows that Thais can't afford fines.  

20 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The intersection near ambassador is a real slaughterhouse. Buses, trucks, you name it barrel through without a second thought.

That was one of the red-lights I was thinking of; just past the Ambassador (where every day the highway robbers are at work) opposite the Thai Courts of Justice (that well known oxymoron) next to an empty police station.