The week that was in Thailand news: Putting the "F.U." into frugality

rooster59

As I sit here in Oz waiting for my knees to heal I'm impressed by Roosters patience with the swarks of the key punches in Thailand. They're either moaning or groaning! Hang in there sir!

As always light on news, but this week particularly high on entertainment. My must read of the week and good to see my home changwat Loei get yet another mention. 

Talking about financials and visas, I assume followers of Thai Visa are aware that should they marry their tilatch that the monthly income requirement for a retirement visa reduces from 65,000฿ to 40,000฿. My Oi and tied the knot 2 weeks ago after 4 years together for precisely that reason. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MamaSan said:

Wonderful writing, excellently humourous observations, refreshing post.  Thanks - we needed that!

Cheers. It's encouraging to get positive comments - unlike Kev-In-Thailand we don't remove the negative posts here! 

Rooster

Rooster please, please, please begin a weekly podcast.

I am sitting here in the dismal surroundings of the UK awaiting my return to Thailand and you have made my past week almost tolerable. You have insight coupled with honesty and humour.

Thank you for your column on behalf of all readers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

As always light on news, but this week particularly high on entertainment. My must read of the week and good to see my home changwat Loei get yet another mention. 

Talking about financials and visas, I assume followers of Thai Visa are aware that should they marry their tilatch that the monthly income requirement for a retirement visa reduces from 65,000฿ to 40,000฿. My Oi and tied the knot 2 weeks ago after 4 years together for precisely that reason. 

Congratulations on the hitching. 

Loei is Mrs Rooster's home province so it will often get a mention. I had an inkling she was the right one for me when we climbed up to the top of Phu Kradung 19 years ago and she didn't complain once!

Rooster

2 minutes ago, NoComment said:

Rooster please, please, please begin a weekly podcast.

I am sitting here in the dismal surroundings of the UK awaiting my return to Thailand and you have made my past week almost tolerable. You have insight coupled with honesty and humour.

Thank you for your column on behalf of all readers.

I used to record the column for Thaivisa Radio 2 until it shut down.  I shall consider your request. 

I am glad that you enjoy the column. For me keeping a sense of humor is vitally important no matter where one lives but especially if one is a foreigner living in a place like Thailand. 

Someone a few weeks ago accused me of dishonesty in a story about going to Brazil. I thought about replying - even dug out an ancient passport with the Rio stamps in it - then thought...why bother. Mostly in my life I have just ignored anyone who is negative or who thinks I am being economical with the khwaam jing. 

Remember to look out for "Roosterisms" in the translating of the news on a daily basis. I do about ten a day and many contain a worthwhile snippet designed to add some honest flavor, comment and perhaps amusement. 

Goodness knows with some of the grim subject matter we need a good laugh!

Regards and keep reading and enjoying Thaivisa. 

Rooster

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Verbiage at it's finest. You have excelled yourself Rooster.

Many years ago we had an heir to the Cadbury empire come to Harrow in Bangkok as a gap student. He talked a good game but lasted less time than it takes me to polish off a Creme Egg. 

Rooster

55 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

I did that almost 2 years ago after being together for nine - does that mean that I will get special dispensations from Immigration for my next visa extension application -  like not having to provide a Google map of our abode -  and a hand drawn map of the same?

Always one of my Sunday pleasures - Thankyou Rooster. Apropos of the Jordanian child killer, Jesus Christ (why do Americans call him Jesus H?) was in favour of the death penalty for child abusers with the fairly definitive measure of putting a millstone round their necks and throwing them into the sea.

• Haha 1

Very enjoyable read.  The topic transitions would have made my 9 th grade english teacher swoon.

Frugal, the roster has nothing on me.    

Edited by Elkski

Took me back to my childhood. Threw a stone at my brother but the idiot moved so I ended up hitting my dad's new Austin Allegro, slightly damaging the paintwork. As a result, my pocket money was stopped for a year to pay for the damage and I was told to get a part time job to earn my own money. I was 12 at the time. But when I went back to my dad after a year to get my pocket money reinstated, was told in no uncertain terms that it would not happen as I was already earning my own money so dad had no need to give me anything on top of that. Sounds harsh but it imbued me with a great work ethic. As a kid I delivered newspapers, picked spuds, washed cars, was a petrol pump attendant, managed a gift shop, washed dishes, etc. All before I reached 18. 

With money I saved up from my last summer job, I moved to Thailand.     

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

Took me back to my childhood. Threw a stone at my brother but the idiot moved so I ended up hitting my dad's new Austin Allegro, slightly damaging the paintwork. As a result, my pocket money was stopped for a year to pay for the damage and I was told to get a part time job to earn my own money. I was 12 at the time. But when I went back to my dad after a year to get my pocket money reinstated, was told in no uncertain terms that it would not happen as I was already earning my own money so dad had no need to give me anything on top of that. Sounds harsh but it imbued me with a great work ethic. As a kid I delivered newspapers, picked spuds, washed cars, was a petrol pump attendant, managed a gift shop, washed dishes, etc. All before I reached 18. 

With money I saved up from my last summer job, I moved to Thailand.     

I made wine and beer for my dad with his money. Kept him sweet.

Rooster

• Like 1

7 hours ago, randy723 said:

when I was a kid we were so poor my mother cut holes in my pocket so I would have something to play with.

We were so poor, my friends used to eat salt sandwiches, and all we could do was watch. ????

Edit: In the snow.  Uphill.  Both ways. 

Edited by 55Jay

Same same: Grew up in '40s (1941), scrabbled for money (paperboy, grocery clerk, school janitor - 35 cents per hour of which 25 cents went to tuition - car hop, lifeguard, carnival worker, gas pipeline walker, postman, taxi driver, photographer, and painted college football stadium, before life in journalism, beginning in radio and ending with print). But different: NEVER saved a dime. Why? Because the power brokers, including ex-wives, will find a way to take it from you, from jacked up housing costs to medical bills (even with insurance), to banking and industry collapse. Spend it enjoying life.

In America, when they put you in a rest home, you do not get any aid until your savings are drained and all assets sold. So spend it and collect aid, that you paid for through taxes, from day one.

Medical emergency in Thailand with no money in the bank? That's what credit cards are for. Any insurance company would find some way to avoid paying up. Just make sure your card allows for a big cash advance for the government hospital, which operates - so to speak - on 'cash only' basis. 

But what about passing on money to your kids when you are gone? Seriously? We live so long your 'kids' are retired in Florida! Help them out when they are young!

And that, dear reader, is why I am in Thailand but don't have 800,000b to put in a Thai bank - along with the decades-long cost, and joy, of raising four kids in California. 

Edited by Mac98
Add clarification.

On 3/17/2019 at 5:31 PM, GarryP said:

Took me back to my childhood. Threw a stone at my brother but the idiot moved so I ended up hitting my dad's new Austin Allegro, slightly damaging the paintwork. As a result, my pocket money was stopped for a year to pay for the damage and I was told to get a part time job to earn my own money. I was 12 at the time.

Very harsh, when it could have been taken merely as a critical evaluation of the car itself. We had it's predecessor, the more respected Austin 1300, in a fetching shade of dark green. Always amused me that the most popular colours of the Allegro and the Maxi matched the popular colours of toilet furniture of the same era, hence brown, beige and the weirdly named "harvest gold" which was more like tan or butterscotch. If they'd introduced avocado, it would have been a best seller. 

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Very harsh, when it could have been taken merely as a critical evaluation of the car itself. We had it's predecessor, the more respected Austin 1300, in a fetching shade of dark green. Always amused me that the most popular colours of the Allegro and the Maxi matched the popular colours of toilet furniture of the same era, hence brown, beige and the weirdly named "harvest gold" which was more like tan or butterscotch. If they'd introduced avocado, it would have been a best seller. 

The Allegro was mallard green. Within one month of bringing it home, it had its engine replaced.  

• Haha 1