A new visa paperwork problem for some expats?

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not go to the local amphur where you’re trying to get her added to your extension and get married, again?
Just seems like an easy solution although I’m no expert. Just a possible simple solution. Pay a visa company that also does marriages and they drive you around, provide the witnesses, get you through the cues and be done in a few hours.

Really do not know what you guys are on about, they only want to know if you really have the money as opposed to the people who lied to get their little letter or use money from an agent. Prove to me it is yours leave it in the bank 3 months and can only spend half. Really what is so hard about that. O forgot some people are special but but my money is different.

Anyone with a brain could have seen a crack down coming to retirees, everyone else had been hit, cheaters on education visas actually had to goto school O the mean old immigration people making me go to school.

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Yes Mr DPKANKAN, it is sad, but, what do you propose to do about it?

Besides reacting with negative emojis to posts that "state the obvious"?

Here's a thought. How about stating what you think is wrong in my posts?

......and that goes for the rest of you whiners and moaners.

First time ever visa application for Australia and had to not only get thai birth certificate translation but also a certificate of non marriage. 

Basically says that even though she was spliced with a thai loser in the village and had two kids  before he took off for younger pastures, she is considered not married. 

Took several visits to the local seat of power, plus taking her 84 year old mother, eldest brother and head women.

Plus two days, plus the translation afterwards. 

So does that make the two kids bastards?

I know her son is a deadbeat, lazy shit already. 

This is Thailand. 

1 hour ago, vukovar77 said:

Not true.It is very easy to obtain retirement Visa in Thailand.Easiest here than  in any Asian country from my point of view!

Not quite true.

Some countries like Vietnam openly greet tourists and retirement stayers with minimum hassle and costs. 

Thailand always has an easier way. 

Desk 8 Jomtien immigration is a classic example. $$

1 hour ago, edwinchester said:

Friend of mine is having to do similar for his THAI wife. He has to fly to the UK though as she was previously married to an English guy and Thai Immigration want proof they are legally married to proceed his extension of stay.

Something getting lost in the translation here?

If he has already married his Thai wife and has the wedding certificate and/or the kor ror 2 'update' document, I don't see why he needs to get anything from the UK.

AFAIK, only the foreigner has to get notarized proof from his embassy for any local amphur to permit his marriage to a local woman. It's broadly called an affirmation of freedom to marry.

I haven't heard of an amphur needing the Thai female partner to furnish any written evidence that she is similarly unencumbered. Even if your friend's wife's previous marriage and divorce was done solely in the UK, I haven't heard of any amphur or immigration being overly concerned about the female partners previous marriage.

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Immigration requirements for all retirees have got tougher to meet.

You either have to meet them, or leave.

Whether they make sense, or not, is beside the point. Thailand has the absolute right to set, modify, or change the requirements.

Nothing any foreigner can do about it except comply, or leave.

Joe is 100% accurate.  An American married to his Thai wife had to prove the marriage was not fixed, they are legit. 2nd example a Canadian retired living in Thailand decided immigration was too much and left. The heat is on and no letting up by IO.  I see NO end in sight.  The same thing happened in the USA before 9/11.  It was much easier and quicker to immigrate, gradually it became very difficult because of terrorism.  For Thailand it's corruption.  It comes down to how bad do you want to stay in Thailand?  Is it worth the fight?  No doubt, It will be far more costly and time consuming to stay now.  The solution: only one, play the game or leave Thailand.  

7 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Not quite true.

Some countries like Vietnam openly greet tourists and retirement stayers with minimum hassle and costs. 

Thailand always has an easier way. 

Desk 8 Jomtien immigration is a classic example. $$

I need more details about Vietnam's easy path for foreigners long-stay visa entitlement and the fees for this.

Should I check back with you tomorrow?

Next week?

2 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Judging by the hundreds and hundreds of posts in the numerous threads about these changed circumstances, it's pretty obvious that most people are missing the "obvious".

Apart from complaining about these rule changes, what do you suggest foreigners should do?

Yeah.....I thought so.

March to Suvarnbhumi airport and close it down by blockading it.

Those of you on the high horse being the smartasses all the time going to find yourself in similar difficult situatios for whatever new reason BJ and alikes figure out for you too soon enough.

I wonder what witty remarks you have in your pockets for those occurances that you can share for the delight of these boards.

15 minutes ago, sixlegs said:

Those of you on the high horse being the smartasses all the time going to find yourself in similar difficult situatios for whatever new reason BJ and alikes figure out for you too soon enough.

I wonder what witty remarks you have in your pockets for those occurances that you can share for the delight of these boards.

I have no problem because I have choices. Presently on an extension for retirement. I could go down the marriage route, or, get an Elite visa.

So.....don't worry about me, or, anyone else for that matter. Just worry about yourself. Do you have something to be worried about?

The only people I feel sorry for, are the people that are going to walk into immigration not aware of the changes that have been made. They will be totally blind-sided.

47 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I went through this procedure after marrying in Taiwan many years ago. No problem at all if you just follow the reasonable instructions of Thai authorities. Big problem if you start ccomplaining/whining.

The problem is that not everyone agrees with the OP's definition of "reasonable."

7 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I have no problem because I have choices. Presently on an extension for retirement. I could go down the marriage route, or, get an Elite visa.

So.....don't worry about me, or, anyone else for that matter. Just worry about yourself. Do you have something to be worried about?

The only people I feel sorry for, are the people that are going to walk into immigration not aware of the changes that have been made. They will be totally blind-sided.

I don't believe I have heard anyone here asking for sympathy.  Neither have I heard anyone asking for mocking and derision. Being smug is unbecoming. Basking in it is ugly.

2 minutes ago, rexall said:

I don't believe I have heard anyone here asking for sympathy.  Neither have I heard anyone asking for mocking and derision. Being smug is unbecoming. Basking in it is ugly.

Only if you insist on staring at it, no?

5 minutes ago, rexall said:

Read the thread in sequence. My first post stated a fact. Many people took exception to it in not very polite terms.

You may have just rolled over. I'm not built that way.

I stand by every post I've made. Don't like them? Use the scroll bar.

44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

If he has already married his Thai wife and has the wedding certificate and/or the kor ror 2 'update' document, I don't see why he needs to get anything from the UK.

AFAIK, only the foreigner has to get notarized proof from his embassy for any local amphur to permit his marriage to a local woman. It's broadly called an affirmation of freedom to marry.

I haven't heard of an amphur needing the Thai female partner to furnish any written evidence that she is similarly unencumbered. Even if your friend's wife's previous marriage and divorce was done solely in the UK, I haven't heard of any amphur or immigration being overly concerned about the female partners previous marriage.

They were married in the UK. Immigration want the UK marriage certificate notarized in the UK and stamped by the Thai Embassy in London.

Every country requires foreign language documents to be officially translated.  The additional runaround of having to go back to China would seem more a requirement from China than Thailand, otherwise the Chinese embassy in Bangkok could translate and certify the wedding certificate.  It seems they don't want to run the risk of certifying a document issued by a provincial department, only to find out later that it is fake.  When I worked in Singapore, with my wife applying for a dependent's visa, we had to get ours done at the Thai embassy there, who accept the amphur issued certificate as being official.  We moved from Singapore to KL after three years, and the Malaysian government wouldn't accept the Singapore embassy translation, so we had to get the Thai embassy in KL to do it again.  If either embassy had asked for proof of authenticity, then I guess we too would have been forced to travel back to the amphur we were married in.

15 minutes ago, rexall said:

Neither have I heard anyone asking for mocking and derision. Being smug is unbecoming. Basking in it is ugly.

Posting on TV is asking for mocking and derision!

It's the unfortunate state of the intelligence level of the gene pool here.

I am American, my wife is Thai.

we were married in Egypt.

All in Arabic.

Had it translated and Certfied in Cairo.

then stamped in Cairo by U S Embassy and Thai Embassy.

When back in Thailand, registered it in our local Ampur.

When in USA, also did a Marriage at Town Hall.

If I die first, don’t want my wife to have problems getting funds, policies, bank accounts and investments.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Unless she is the widow of, for instance, a Brit as some Amphurs will not accept an English Death Certificate on the basis it states "Copy" and insist they must see the original! However, others will without question.

Archived