A new visa paperwork problem for some expats?

webfact

A new visa paperwork problem for some expats?

By The Thaiger

thai-visa-exemption.jpg

We get occasional emails from expats relating their various problems with Immigration as they apply for new visas or renewals. The common thread is that applying for, and renewing visas, is becoming unnecessarily complicated.

This one seems complex. Names have been withheld for privacy.

“I am a British citizen and my baby’s visas were renewed without an issue, but the Thai immigration has caused problems for my wife and wants me to prove that I am married to my Chinese wife so that I can renew her dependent visa for a third year.

The man’s wife and baby are on Dependent visas tied to his ‘Retirement’ visa.

Our marriage certificate is in Chinese so in order to get Immigration to acknowledge our marriage, she now has to go back to China to have our marriage certificate notarised and translated, first in her local home area, then sent to China’s foreign affairs office in Beijing for their stamp, THEN to the Thai embassy in Shanghai for their stamp, THEN to Bangkok for the Chinese embassy’s stamp.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/a-new-visa-paperwork-problem-for-some-expats

thtthaiger.png

-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-03-18

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is in the interest of Thai national security to insure this British man and Chinese woman are confirmed legally married by at least 6 different government agencies in two countries least there be a big international incident were Thailand will be accused of aiding and abetting co-habitation...????

Immigration requirements for all retirees have got tougher to meet.

You either have to meet them, or leave.

Whether they make sense, or not, is beside the point. Thailand has the absolute right to set, modify, or change the requirements.

Nothing any foreigner can do about it except comply, or leave.

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

It is in the interest of Thai national security to insure this British man and Chinese woman are confirmed legally married by at least 6 different government agencies in two countries least there be a big international incident were Thailand will be accused of aiding and abetting co-habitation...????

Standard Thai denial process !   Get as many people to sign and then, should it all go wrong, everyone has the defence in court of "Wasn't me guv !   They all said it's fine so who am I to reject it ?"

Back in the early 2000s a senior USA State Department official stated after a visit that Thailand had world class bureaucracy.   Glad to see the country is not lowering its standards.

We have the same issue, First to the legal department in Holland to certify it`s a legal document than to the Thai embassy in Holland to certify the stamps are from the legal department and than to Jomtien to get this dependent extension.

We used 10 years only the International marriage document but that`s not possible anymore.    

4 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Whether they make sense, or not, is beside the point. Thailand has the absolute right to set, modify, or change the requirements.

You obviously have a degree in "stating the obvious". You'll also be a big hit with BJ, it's just the sort of rubbish he wants to hear from farang.

3 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I fully appreciate, and endorse, your comment.   However, I feel confident that many will still find a compromise solution is still be achievable despite Big Jokes efforts.   

Let me add that BJ's efforts do have my support.

Just now, jesimps said:

You obviously have a degree in "stating the obvious". You'll also be a big hit with BJ, it's just the sort of rubbish he wants to hear from farang.

Judging by the hundreds and hundreds of posts in the numerous threads about these changed circumstances, it's pretty obvious that most people are missing the "obvious".

Apart from complaining about these rule changes, what do you suggest foreigners should do?

Yeah.....I thought so.

I believe that many legitimate people are now suffering, due to more strenuous immigration laws brought about by many years of abuse of the system by those who lied and faked their way into staying in Thailand.   

56 minutes ago, DavoTheGun said:

I pretty isolated case by the sound of it.

Friend of mine is having to do similar for his THAI wife. He has to fly to the UK though as she was previously married to an English guy and Thai Immigration want proof they are legally married to proceed his extension of stay.

7 minutes ago, rickb said:

I believe that many legitimate people are now suffering, due to more strenuous immigration laws brought about by many years of abuse of the system by those who lied and faked their way into staying in Thailand.   

Those who lied and faked their way into staying in Thailand?  Those are not the route of the problem; it's the corrupt system that allowed it to happen that's responsible for "legitimate people" suffering.

The "more strenuous immigration laws" will only breed more corruption, so if you think it's going to get better, don't hold your breath.

49 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

What is actually being said here??? There must be some point the OP is trying to make by pointing out the obvious in this way.

20 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Yes Mr DPKANKAN, it is sad, but, what do you propose to do about it?

Besides reacting with negative emojis to posts that "state the obvious"?

Here's a thought. How about stating what you think is wrong in my posts?

The OP has nothing to do with getting a retirement visa/extension of stay, it is to do with getting his wife permission to stay as a dependant.

25 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Yes Mr DPKANKAN, it is sad, but, what do you propose to do about it?

Besides reacting with negative emojis to posts that "state the obvious"?

Here's a thought. How about stating what you think is wrong in my posts?

I am not  Mr. DPKANKAN, but I am happy to answer your question. Stating the obvious in they way you have is passive aggressive; saying something obliquely that you will not or cannot say directly.  What exactly is it that you are saying?  You don't like to hear people complain, or what? 

54 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Judging by the hundreds and hundreds of posts in the numerous threads about these changed circumstances, it's pretty obvious that most people are missing the "obvious".

Apart from complaining about these rule changes, what do you suggest foreigners should do?

Yeah.....I thought so.

What you should do is ... ask an agent, IO preffered method!

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Not true.It is very easy to obtain retirement Visa in Thailand.Easiest here than  in any Asian country from my point of view!

17 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Seems I'm hurting a few people's feelings just "stating the obvious". :cheesy:

there seems to be a few losers,on TV,  who like to feel sorrow for themselves,due to their inability to save for their retirement years.

they like to knock any body who doesnt feel sorry for them...

its simple--dont move to anay other country, if you cant fully support yourself, also in sickness or accident...

4 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

Not true.It is very easy to obtain retirement Visa in Thailand.Easiest here than  in any Asian country from my point of view!

Maybe you should read my post again. I didn't say they weren't easy, I said that they have got tougher. There's a difference. If you have read any of these related threads you would know that the changes have made it difficult for a lot of people.

And just in case anyone here is wondering, the new requirements are no problem for me. That's what a life-time of saving is for.

1 hour ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Blablablabla.......

The same thing happened to me

I got married in the UK . Told by the consulate that all I needed was a marriage certificate to get my marriage visa . Wrong .

In Thailand when I was applying for my marriage visa , I was told I needed it certified real .

I found the only place this could be done was in Milton Keynes , by post, and was unable to do it from Thailand as they only post to a UK address . (Cost £50)

Then the same , legalised marriage certificate then had to be legalised again my the Thai Embassy in London , and ONLY there , not Thailand (. £25) again only post to a UK address

Then once I got that done , I had to get my marriage certificate translated into Thai. Then register our marriage at the local Amphur . They will keep the marriage certificate

A bonus in this , you can get a yellow book as well as a pink ID card

You don’t need the certificate again as each year after that they will give you a certificate to prove you are married . You use this in your marriage Visa application.

This happened a few years ago , so it’s not a change but always been there , I suspect more ex pats are changing their Retired visa to a marriage visa .

In hindsight, if you have a choice , get married in Thailand .

The annoying thing of it all, the Visa company I asked for help , Gave me a bad photocopy of a form the UK government site, giving me the directions to certificate my marriage certificate, and ignored my protests explaining the directions all stated you had to have a UK address .

So I did the process myself , fortunately I was going back to the UK that year .

If you have a friend or relative in the UK , they could do it for you . But this will take time .

I hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

How can you take out insurance as you suggest?     

Many years ago I  got married to my Thai wife in the UK, and later we moved to LA.  I went to the consulate, and had then put their stand my marriage certificate to say that it was a true copy of an original.  When I came to Thailand I was trying to do the married to a Thai  when I was told I could not do it as the stamp from the consulate and the signature of the consulate was to old.  Woooooooo I could not believe what I was hearing.  I then had to go to the Embassy here and get a new stamp etc. put on the marriage certificate.  I sometimes think why doesn't the UK or the US do the same things that Thailand does.  If you are not an English or American citizen you cant own property.  It seems that they keep coming up with different rules for different things.  I think they go home at night and dream up things just to mess with people. Just me thinking out loud ha ha

Archived