Alcoholic vs. just drinking too much

roroeow7

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep doing what you are doing and perhaps your drinking will spiral out of control. Keep drinking and perhaps you will become powerless over alcohol and your life will become unmanageable. Keeping drinking and perhaps your health will fail, your relationships with others will be damaged and you will loose everything.

Then again, perhaps none of these things will happen. You may continue to ignore the warning signs and die before you are 60, and others left behind will say, "You know he drank a lot, it's a miracle he lived this long". Up to you.

4 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

image.png.5268043f28f7308139dea370241f554d.png

I agree, this test on nonsense. A real alcoholic will answer over 15.  

I answered yes to all. There are much better questions somewhere.

What, pray tell is your definition of "a real alcoholic".

59 minutes ago, Benmart said:

What, pray tell is your definition of "a real alcoholic".

It is someone who suffers from the disease of alcoholism. Someone who has an allergic reaction after taking one drink, which means they can't stop, no matter how hard they try, no matter how much will-power they have.

it's someone who gets Delerium Tremens(shakes, hallucinations, etc) when they stop drinking after a binge. 

These days, there are many who go to societies like AA and call themselves alcoholics, but in fact are not, they are just heavy drinkers that want to cut down or stop. 

10 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Obviously. But surely better to self-regulate and avoid the need for treatment.

Not for all. I used to volunteer at a rehab center. This one young woman wanted the monkey off her back in the worst way - you could see it in her eyes! But self regulation was not an option for her.

29 minutes ago, quandow said:

Not for all. I used to volunteer at a rehab center. This one young woman wanted the monkey off her back in the worst way - you could see it in her eyes! But self regulation was not an option for her.

Obviously, I meant self regulate before reaching the stage of addiction, which fortunately was not the predicament facing the poster in question.

9 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Obviously, I meant self regulate before reaching the stage of addiction, which fortunately was not the predicament facing the poster in question.

You're not an addict, are you. "normal" people can just not understand addiction, even "normal" doctors in the field of addiction.

10 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You're not an addict, are you. "normal" people can just not understand addiction, even "normal" doctors in the field of addiction.

No, mercifully I'm not. Nor, as is pretty obvious, I am no expert on the subject, though I have known many people with drinking problems and an ex-wife died of a liver disease caused by alcoholism.

I suspect, from all I have read and observed, that people are addicts by nature and that individuals who have one particular addiction could just as easily have another. I used to drink like a fish but after years of over-indulgence was able to reduce my consumption to safer levels without much difficulty to ameliorate some consequential medical problems.

I understand not everybody can do this (and that doctors, psychologists and scientists are not sure why), but as the poster had obviously recognised his vulnerability, suggesting prevention (in the form of moderating his intake) rather than an attempted "cure" might a way forward for him. 

the major alcoholics i've known in my life actually hide their drinking.  you never see them with a drink in their hand.  they've got bottles hidden in the house, the car, the garage, the garden shed, etc...  when they visit someone else's house they'll have a bottle in a backpack and often they'll sneak their way to where the booze is kept at that house and steal a bottle and down it in the toilet. 

for the OP, keep on rolling.  i don't think one beer per hour of drinking session is all that bad (maybe 1.5 per hour given your size).  you need to take a break once a week for a day or two to let the body cleanse a bit.  beer is great on the golf course !!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
No, but I often lose time from drinking due to work

2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
My home life is fine. What it would be like if I stopped drinking hardly bears thinking about.

3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
Maybe so, petal. How about you?

4. Is drinking alcohol affecting your reputation?
My reputation as a drinker is secure, thank you very much

5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
Only when I finished off someone else's beer by mistake and he socked me

6. Have you gotten into financial difficulties because of drinking?
No, but I sometimes have drinking difficulties because of finance.

7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
That's the whole point of drinking, isn't it?

8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family's welfare?
No, but my family is careless of my drinking welfare

9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
What ambitions does a guy have at the age of 10?

10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily?
No, just whenever I wake up

11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
How would I know? We're still in today.

12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty sleeping?
Are you kidding? I can sleep in taxis and trains, on park benches or under bushes

13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
I'll thank you to leave my sex life alone.

14. Is drinking jeopardising your job or business?
Drinking is my business, and not yours

15. Do you drink to escape from worries or troubles?
No. I drink to escape from worries and troubles

16. Do you drink alone?
People are sometimes late to the bar. What would you have me do? Sit there like a ventriloquist's dummy?

17. Have you ever had a  complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
I'm sorry, what was the question?

18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
You should see him on a Monday morning

19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
You asked that before and I answered something or other which I've forgotten.

20. Have you ever been to hospital or institution on account of drinking?
Yes. There is a very nice institution just round the corner called The Lamb and Flag, and I'm off there now, so no more questions

I started to realize that every evening I drink something like beer, cider or aperol with my friend after a work day. I don't believe I am alcoholic but when should I worry about it? How should I understand that it's time?

Cheers

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:49 PM, Mary Spence said:

I started to realize that every evening I drink something like beer, cider or aperol with my friend after a work day. I don't believe I am alcoholic but when should I worry about it? How should I understand that it's time?

Cheers

When you're having a couple of drinks before heading in to work in the morning, then it's an issue.

• 2 months later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:49 PM, Mary Spence said:

Cheers

When you lose the power of choice in taking a drink. When you start to get withdrawals, delerium tremens when stopping drinking.

An alcoholic can't  function when withdrawing. I needed a couple of drinks to pass my driving test, for example. A heavy drinker won't understand this but an alcoholic will.

Archived