Restaurant in ChIang Mai for Birthday meal

Jip99

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

One of the hotel buffets, e.g. Siripanna, Holiday Inn, Grandview Hotel, Shangri-La. Possibly cheaper, and they would probably be able to organise a private room for you.

Thank you.

There are only 4 us so something a bit more ‘intimate’ would be preferable. Don’t know why but I have never been a great fan of buffets.

Would have been interested in David’s Kitchen but they don’t open on Sundays; if we go somewhere on Saturday we have the problem (not a deal breaker) of not being able to celebrate with a bottle of wine because of the election rules on not selling alcohol.

I would choose L'Elephant hands down over the other places mentioned, and I have tried them all. They currently have an excellent three course set menu for 888 Baht (+ service), or other choices. The intimate atmosphere is unrivalled. It is open on Sunday.

I am not sure when the alcohol ban finishes on Sunday. 6pm? Or later?

24 minutes ago, neilrob said:

I would choose L'Elephant hands down over the other places mentioned, and I have tried them all. They currently have an excellent three course set menu for 888 Baht (+ service), or other choices. The intimate atmosphere is unrivalled. It is open on Sunday.

Thank you..... yes 6pm on Saturday to 6pm on Sunday.......................... but I am not voting....

1 hour ago, neilrob said:

clearly you have never been to France nor have you ever eaten in an authentic Fresh restaurant, however you did get one thing right the atmosphere is first class

2 hours ago, cmtg1 said:

clearly you have never been to France nor have you ever eaten in an authentic Fresh restaurant, however you did get one thing right the atmosphere is first class

You are completely wrong. I have been to France many times and eaten in some fine French restaurants there and around the world. I judge the food at L'Elephant by its quality and interest, not by whether it conforms to some stereotype of French food, and certainly not yours.

1 hour ago, neilrob said:

You are completely wrong. I have been to France many times and eaten in some fine French restaurants there and around the world. I judge the food at L'Elephant by its quality and interest, not by whether it conforms to some stereotype of French food, and certainly not yours.

I would agree with you if they didn't brand themselves as a French restaurant. Then there would be no guidelines. But there are definitely guideline for French cuisine. I'm sure that if something is swimming in wine, garlic and cream that you would be drooling thinking it was the best French meals that you've ever had. That's the thinking of an untrained palate. But is some ways you've made your point. You liked the food, therefore you recommend it. For me after a couple of decades living in France before I surfaced here they are far from an authentic French restaurant  and will never see a Michelin star

11 minutes ago, cmtg1 said:

I would agree with you if they didn't brand themselves as a French restaurant. Then there would be no guidelines. But there are definitely guideline for French cuisine. I'm sure that if something is swimming in wine, garlic and cream that you would be drooling thinking it was the best French meals that you've ever had. That's the thinking of an untrained palate. But is some ways you've made your point. You liked the food, therefore you recommend it. For me after a couple of decades living in France before I surfaced here they are far from an authentic French restaurant  and will never see a Michelin star

My goodness, you certainly rate a Michelin star, in fact several, in arrogance! No, I do not like food "swimming in wine, garlic and cream", whether or not you are "sure" of this. You do have a truly remarkable ability to assemble completely unjustified assumptions from thin air. At least the rubbish you spout is amusing!

Since so many in CM have celebrated their (70th) birthdays at John's, you should go there.  OTOH, the reviews keep getting worse, so maybe go to one of the other establishments whose TA stars outnumber its customers.

I would go to Khun Suntaree's (the 'Joan Baez' of Lanna) 'Huan Suntaree' on the east side of the river north of the first ring road, for a remarkable evening of listening to her sing the gentle songs of old Lanna and Shan Myanmar, and great Thai food.

(link) TA review Huan Suntaree

Her restaurant can be very crowded weekend nights, I would definitely try to book in advance. She usually starts singing around 8pm.

Unless you order gods-know-how-much of gods-know-what: much less than 2k baht per.

~o:37;

On 3/23/2019 at 10:13 PM, Peasandmash said:

where ever you do decide to go. please write a review or just some details. i would like to try fine dining in CM .

Thanks.

I chose to go to L’Elephant on the strength of the recommendation from Neilrob and my own research on TripAdvisor.

What a great decision it was.

I don’t recall ever having a better birthday meal and, seriously, it got a 9.75/10 from me........

8 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Thanks.

I chose to go to L’Elephant on the strength of the recommendation from Neilrob and my own research on TripAdvisor.

What a great decision it was.

I don’t recall ever having a better birthday meal and, seriously, it got a 9.75/10 from me........

Diet !!! bloody joke that is, diet gone outa the window, food, food, food, to hell with diet, :cheesy:thats:cheesy:tomorrow.

On 3/22/2019 at 11:02 AM, cmtg1 said:

That's a slightly unpleasant and tediously snobbish 2 centimes worth, old boy, it might improve your rep by actually nominating an alternative French restaurant in CM. There are a handful, after all. Over to you, M. Gastronome...

On 3/23/2019 at 1:23 PM, orang37 said:

I would go to Khun Suntaree's (the 'Joan Baez' of Lanna) 'Huan Suntaree' on the east side of the river north of the first ring road, for a remarkable evening of listening to her sing the gentle songs of old Lanna and Shan Myanmar, and great Thai food.

(link) TA review Huan Suntaree

Her restaurant can be very crowded weekend nights, I would definitely try to book in advance. She usually starts singing around 8pm.

Unless you order gods-know-how-much of gods-know-what: much less than 2k baht per.

~o:37;

One of the better Thai options, agreed. I love the sprawling patio grandeur, off street parking, and 'hidden gem ' feel of it. The food is competent, nothing mind blowing (fortunately, my missus is no slouch in our home kitchen). So it's the wonderful old world 'Thainess' that makes this a winner. 

On 3/22/2019 at 8:33 AM, Mahseer said:

Enoteca for wine and Italian food.

I'm not sure when this ever was a great restaurant, maybe before serious competition arrived, since they claim to have been pioneers in CM?

I found it soulless, unfriendly, and extremely overpriced. That was three years ago. Too poor value to give them a second chance, even though it's in the neighborhood.

While TA can have some really weird rankings, Enoteca does not even make the top ten in its' league (local upmarket Italian).

An inflammatory abusive post has been removed as well as the replies. 

A post in violation of the following has been removed:

2) You will not use ThaiVisa.com to post any material which is knowingly or can be reasonably construed as false, inaccurate, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Small Joke said:

I'm not sure when this ever was a great restaurant, maybe before serious competition arrived, since they claim to have been pioneers in CM?

Won't don't you take a slice of your own ideas and recommend another? 

As for TA, which personally I don't follow, I did make an exception and see what they had to say about Enoteca and of the 32 reviews 25 were excellent, 4 were very good and 3 average.

As for the pioneer comment there used to br an excellent restaurant here, my opinion of course, called Buonissimo and maybe there is a connection there?

50 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

As for the pioneer comment there used to br an excellent restaurant here, my opinion of course, called Buonissimo and maybe there is a connection there?

Sergio, who owns and runs Enoteca, indeed founded Buonissimo and before that Pum Pui and others. So he was indeed a pioneer in bringing Italian food to Chiang Mai

15 hours ago, Small Joke said:

I found it soulless, unfriendly, and extremely overpriced. That was three years ago. Too poor value to give them a second chance, even though it's in the neighborhood.

While TA can have some really weird rankings, Enoteca does not even make the top ten in its' league (local upmarket Italian).

The place across the street called Pizzeria Giotto is infinitely better than this over-rated establishment. They do have a stellar wine collection if you are in the market, but the food is nothing special and is way over-priced.

I'm not the biggest pizza fan but Giotto do a decent steak for around 650baht and to this bloke the Australian is far tastier than the New Zealand but to each their own eh. This place has to be doing something right as it's one of the very few that is able to retain the same staff which has its benefits.

The only issue with Enoteca I have, which doesn't happen above, is they screw up orders and I'm not talking the once. It does get corrected of course but much prefer right first time around. The wine selection indeed is stellar and needs to be seen to be believed but whether you eat there or not is an individual choice. For me I have no problem revisiting.

Archived