Retirement Visa

I know this has been discussed many times but I want to be safe than sorry after hearing some of the stories. I have a US passport with a retirement visa, multiple entry, due to renew March 13. I plan on going this Tuesday for renewal in Jomtien. I want to make sure I have everything. Here is my list of what I think I will need after reading posts

1. Bank book with 1 copy of name/account number page and all pages with entries. [many]. I have substantial deposits and withdraws for a house I am already committed to buying. If asked where that money went is it ok to state I am buying a house ?

2. Letter from bank stating I have a minimum800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 3 months [i’m good]. I will go to Bangkok bank manager Tuesday morning for the letter

3. Passport original plus 1 copy each of my detail page and all pages which contain Thai entry/exit stamps and visas

4. Form “Application for extension of temporary stay in the kingdom” filled out > TM7

5. Personal Data Form - saw this in posts but cant find the form

5. 1 - current passport size photograph 4 x 6 cm

6. Enough cash to pay the fees, 1,900 hundred baht + to include multiple entry

I believe I do not need a medical certificate or police report since this is a renewal and I am renewing in Thailand

It was suggested on one post that I have these questions and answers written in English in case the immigration officer does not speak good English

How much you paid for your house,

Your fathers name:

Your mothers name:

Your level of education:

Your occupation before retirement

Is this pretty much it or am I missing something

thanks in advance

Jimmy

I would not mention buying anything but a condo myself.

The multi re-entry permit will cost 3,800 baht and at least one more photo.

I was provided a one page form to fill last year while they entered the TM.7 information into computer so that is probably what was called the data form. Don't recall exact questions but nothing major.

You do understand that if your visa is multi entry and is still valid (obtained less than a year ago) you could just cross a border and return to obtain another one year stay before having to visit Immigration?

Although that trip might cost more than Immigration extension if you have everything ready anyhow.

Guest RealEstateBroker

Everyone might not agree with me, but what I do when I have to go to any goverment

office is find a sweet looking thai gal who speaks GOOD english and offer to take her

shopping for very non-BG clothes and give her 1000 baht or so in exchange for her

going with me and helping out with the questions.

Always did this for my work permit issues and now for my retirement visa stuff.

It was not usually necessary but a couple of times she really helped me sort stuff out.

You do understand that if your visa is multi entry and is still valid (obtained less than a year ago) you could just cross a border and return to obtain another one year stay before having to visit Immigration?

Although that trip might cost more than Immigration extension if you have everything ready anyhow.

How do u get another 1 year stay if your multie entry is less than 1 year

How do u get another 1 year stay if your multie entry is less than 1 year

I thought I covered that - you exit Thailand and return. If you have a multi entry visa you receive the allowed period of entry on each and every entry. For a retirement O-A visa that is one year.

Same principle as using a normal multi entry non immigrant for up to 15 months - you enter just before it expires to receive the normal 90 day stay.

The only thing you have to remember is that any further exits will require the use of a re-entry permit to keep your one year permitted to stay stamp alive.

Yep, you explained in a previous post. i am going to US to excape sonkran in april so that wont work. aside from that, i have had my 800k in the thai bank for three months now and want to start using it. Not that i dont trust thai banks :o

thanks for your help..... and i will bring more money and an extra picture and maybe a good looking girl as broker suggests, dressed properly I might add

Lopburi 3. Is the normal 1 yr retirement Visa I got last year in Thailand classed as an O-A Visa or is an O-A the Visa you get outside Thailand.??

My original stamp from Bris says O Visa multi entry but last years stamp just says permitted to stay one year + a seperate multi-entry stamp?? I am still confused..

O-A visas are only issued by Consulates (one year permitted to stay stamp on entry) so what you got in Thailand would have been a one year extension of stay which was originally based on your non immigrant O visa entry of 90 days.

O-A visas are only issued by Consulates (one year permitted to stay stamp on entry) so what you got in Thailand would have been a one year extension of stay which was originally based on your non immigrant O visa entry of 90 days.

Gotcha,Thanks for that mate

I got a type O multi-entry visa from a Thai consulate in the States in April 2006. I had planned to exit and return to Thailand before it's final expiry date; April 21 in order to get an additional 90 days. From the posts by Lopburi3, it appears as though I could get an additional YEAR by doing the same dance (going and returning before the final expiry date) - rather than just 90 days - is that so?

But wouldn't this effectively exempt him from showing that he met the '800k in bank' requirement ?

I got a type O multi-entry visa from a Thai consulate in the States in April 2006. I had planned to exit and return to Thailand before it's final expiry date; April 21 in order to get an additional 90 days. From the posts by Lopburi3, it appears as though I could get an additional YEAR by doing the same dance (going and returning before the final expiry date) - rather than just 90 days - is that so?

The thread is about "retirement" visa which is not a non immigrant O; but is a non immigrant O-A type, and that specific visa provides a one year permitted to stay on entry - and if the visa is marked multi entry then it can be used for up to almost 2 years stay in Thailand - as I said. Your visa only allows a 90 day stay - same principle but you will only get 90 days more on your last entry.

LE:

He does not need to show anything to immigration - he already did this when you obtained the O-A visa - any entry of that visa provides a one year stay. So one show of money (when visa applied for) is good for almost two years stay if he decides to exit/return just prior to expiration of the multi entry O-A visa.

LE:

He does not need to show anything to immigration - he already did this when you obtained the O-A visa - any entry of that visa provides a one year stay. So one show of money (when visa applied for) is good for almost two years stay if he decides to exit/return just prior to expiration of the multi entry O-A visa.

Is there any upper time limit to the stay outside Thailand?

For instance, if a person went to "see the sights in, say India/Sri Lanka/Maldives And it took him 4 weeks before re-entering Thailand, would that invalidate his ability to do this?

Penkoprod

A multi entry visa allows you to enter at any time during the one year validity for a permitted stay of 90 days in the case of most non immigrant visa or one year in the special case of O-A type. You can enter day one and every week thereafter or you could not enter until the day before you visa expired. It makes no difference as far as how your stay is handled. You receive the permitted time that the visa allows.

In the case of the multi entry O-A (retirement) visa you do have to remember that even though you have a one year permitted to stay stamp if you depart Thailand and return after your one year original visa validity expires you will not receive a new one year stamp or be able to continue your previous one year stay unless you obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving. IE during validity of your O-A visa multi entry visa you do not need a re-entry permit as you receive a new one year on each entry. But after your visa expires you will need a re-entry permit to keep your additional permitted to stay time alive.

I would not mention buying anything but a condo myself.

I want to make sure i do not get on the slippery slope. I am buying a house and if they should ask and I say condo will they want addresses etc. and then if they decide i am telling stories........... Maybe i am being too cautious but I dont want to say the wrong thing. Saying buying a 30year lease ok? your thoughts.............

thanks

In the case of the multi entry O-A (retirement) visa you do have to remember that even though you have a one year permitted to stay stamp if you depart Thailand and return after your one year original visa validity expires you will not receive a new one year stamp or be able to continue your previous one year stay unless you obtain a re-entry permit prior to leaving. IE during validity of your O-A visa multi entry visa you do not need a re-entry permit as you receive a new one year on each entry. But after your visa expires you will need a re-entry permit to keep your additional permitted to stay time alive.

Lopburi,

This is the first time I hear this.

I knew that you could make 15 months with a non immigrant multi entry o visa,

but never hear that you could make 2 years with a non immigrant multi entry o-a visa.

1) what is the cost price for this re-entry permit for a non immigrant o-a visa?

2) do you still have to report every 90 days after the first year? (I mean after the re-entry)

3) Can I do this perhaps every year? Or you get only one time an additional permitted stay?

1. While you have the non immigrant O-A visa you do not need a re-entry period - only after it expires (one year from issue) would you need the normal re-entry permit which is 1,000 baht each trip or 3,800 baht multi trips.

2. You have to report from day of entry - any stay of over 90 days requires address reporting.

3. A non immigrant O-A is a one year extension of stay initially approved overseas - once you are in Thailand and want to extend your stay you do it just as anyone else using the retirement option - you visit immigration with the required financial criteria and receive another year and do this each year.

No the requirement for money has not been done away with; but we do not know what you received in "December". A retirement O-A visa is obtained from a Consulate with proof of financial means, police check and medical.

A non immigrant O visa to check on retirement options is obtained from a Consulate, is normally without any financial proof and can be single or multi entry and when you decide to extend you do so at an Immigration office in Thailand using 800k bank deposit or 65k pension income letter from Embassy or a combination of the two.

Went to Bangkok bank today. I asked the manager for a letter showing my current balance matching my passbook. she said OK. I then asked to include that I have a minimum of 800k in the bank for the last three months. She said I have more than that. I said 800k or more for the last three months and she kept insisting I had more than 800k and she couldn’t write I had 800k since my balance was more. she said all I need is the verification letter of my balance today.

It appears to me that I am reading on this site I need a letter from the bank showing my balance for the last 3 months to prove my 800k but maybe I am misinterpreting the posts. I know I need my bank book and a copy of all my transactions, will this be enough to show my 800k along with bank verification of my current funds?

thanks

Another question that has problably been asked many times, but I cannot find the exact answer - and so apologies in advance.

I have a multi-entry non-Immigrant Type O-A visa issued in Hong Kong almost a year ago. When issued, the consulate advised me that this is the first step for retirement here and after 2 extensions I can apply for residency. Today I went to Suan Phlu to get the relevant form to complete for the one year extension. I saw three separate people, all of whom seemed to have no idea what I needed! My last arrival was just last week and the first man said I did not even need any form as I could stay till March 2008! Since I travel every month, that's not much use. Even though I showed him the expiry date on the O-A Visa, he still said I didn't need anything!

A lady then handed me a form that was all in Thai. She also said I did not need to do anything. Finally, a second lady went to consult a superior, returned and gave me the extension of stay TM7 form to fill in. She also showed me that, as I expected, I needed the usual bank statement, passport copy etc. However, she also said I need a new medical certificate, even though I was informed last year that this would not be necessary for renewals.

My worry is that if the TM7 form is not the correct one, I will be back at square one in the residency process. I have owned an apartment here for several years and do plan to retire here. Can anyone advise if the final advice I received is correct? Is the TM7 form the correct one?

Many thanks.

Another question that has problably been asked many times, but I cannot find the exact answer - and so apologies in advance.

I have a multi-entry non-Immigrant Type O-A visa issued in Hong Kong almost a year ago. When issued, the consulate advised me that this is the first step for retirement here and after 2 extensions I can apply for residency. Today I went to Suan Phlu to get the relevant form to complete for the one year extension. I saw three separate people, all of whom seemed to have no idea what I needed! My last arrival was just last week and the first man said I did not even need any form as I could stay till March 2008! Since I travel every month, that's not much use. Even though I showed him the expiry date on the O-A Visa, he still said I didn't need anything!

A lady then handed me a form that was all in Thai. She also said I did not need to do anything. Finally, a second lady went to consult a superior, returned and gave me the extension of stay TM7 form to fill in. She also showed me that, as I expected, I needed the usual bank statement, passport copy etc. However, she also said I need a new medical certificate, even though I was informed last year that this would not be necessary for renewals.

My worry is that if the TM7 form is not the correct one, I will be back at square one in the residency process. I have owned an apartment here for several years and do plan to retire here. Can anyone advise if the final advice I received is correct? Is the TM7 form the correct one?

Many thanks.

You need to check 2 dates:

1. The expiry date of your visa you seem to say it is March 2007

2. he expiry date of your period of stay (you seem to say it is March 2008.

If this is the case, to protect your period of stay (March 2008) you need a re-entry permit (if you travel every month you need a multi re-entry permit)

if not your pweiod of stay will be void when next you leave and when you come back as your visa validity would have expired you would only get 30 days (if your nationality permits a 30 days stamp on arrival)

1. You are not going to obtain PR on a retirement extension of stay so that factor is a non-starter. Unless things change.

2. You do not need to apply for an extension of stay until next year in February. No TM.7 required now.

3. You need to obtain and use re-entry permits for any travel after your return date is beyond the expiration date of your original O-A visa.