Alternatives to Thailand because Denied Entry in Chiangmai

3 hours ago, pr9spk said:

I disagree - there are some really tasty foods in the Philippines, if you've ever gone to a wedding party and eaten lechon you would know what I'm talking about.

Lechon is a delicacy and is very nice, but is not part of the daily fare - disgusting cold stodge. 

15 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Lechon is a delicacy and is very nice, but is not part of the daily fare - disgusting cold stodge. 

I thought Lechon is roast pig street food and delicious?

Edited by Thailand
  • Like 2

Thai cuisine is one of the best in the world, a taste-bud explosion. I agree that food in the Philippines doesn't have the same draw, but it is very cheap, and a damn sight better than the crap I used to eat in the UK when I was growing up. Go drinking with some Filipino guys and try a balut - it looks and tastes disgusting, but it's 99% protein and cures your hangover before it even started!

The elephant in the room when it comes to the Philippines is this guy Duterte, and the Catholicism of the country. The Philippines is undoubtedly a beautiful country, great weather, friendly people and the beaches are absolutely amazing, some of the best in the world.

But the grass is NOT always greener - do your own research.

Edited by pr9spk

7 hours ago, AndrewChinagmai said:

I'm done with Thailand. Want to move to a new country where they'll value the dollars I spend in their economy. I can't afford elite visa. So, please don't suggest elite. I am single with a unsteady Thai GF. I know she will find a person when I leave her. 

I am living in Thailand, mostly in Chiangmai, for the last seven years using tourist visas, extensions, and visa exempt. My online business generate around 1200USD

You're most likely being being treated much better than what your meager contribution to the economy entitles you to. I've read absurd posts just like this so many times here. "I pay taxes here, I should be able to vote here" or "I spend a whopping $30-40 thousand baht a month here and I should receive special treatment". One word comes to mind when I read posts like this>>> Delusional.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AndrewChinagmai said:

.... I Want to move to a new place. ....

Do you mind telling how old you are?

There may be different visa requirement in terms of age.

Edited by post

How relaxed of a life can it be on $1200 a month when you have to constantly do Visa runs? I don't judge any Westerner who wants to live like a local, but the fact is locals on 10,000 baht a month live better. They have access to cheap healthcare, cheap (likely free) accommodation, eat cheap food and don't have to do expensive border runs.....not to mention all the community and family support.

$1200 isn't enough for a monthly n2.5 mask budget in Chiang Mai.

My top-two favorite alternative destinations would be:

Angeles City (Philippines):

The good: safe to walk around, lots of good nightlife options (many bars and a few night clubs), lots of western food options (I don't eat local food anyway so Thai vs Filipino food is irrelevant), everything is cheaper than Thailand, good exchange rate (currently).

The bad: slow cell service and internet as a whole, lots of husslers on the street trying to sell you shit, everything you'd expect from a "party town".

Neither: loads and loads of hookers and ladyboys (this is good for some, bad for others). The city's main trade is sex, pretty much.

Phnom Penh (Cambodia):

The good: safe, some nightlife (but not as much as AC), food options, cheaper than Thailand (but not as cheap as AC), they mostly use USD as currency so (I) don't have to worry about exchange rates.

The bad: slow internet (but better than Philippines), a bit small - might get boring if staying for a long time.

I don't want to leave Thailand (Bangkok), but will probably spend more time (and money...) in both those places to avoid immigration headaches in the future.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BritTim said:

Add the Philippines to your shortlist. Visas are pretty easy, and living costs low, especially if you like to spend some of your time in bars. The main drawback is that the food scene is pretty dismal.

Thanks, added. Any recommended city for your personal experience. Please don't post second hand information. 

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Not in SE Asia...but, checkout Panama...many perks and easy visas make this a place to consider...

Interesting idea. May be I should explore that and forget about SE Asia.

2 hours ago, pr9spk said:

If you arrive in a country and show nothing but disdain for the culture, it's peoples, and it's food, then it's only a matter of time before someone walking around with a year's average earnings in their wallet gets robbed. So many Thais earn under 500 baht a day, flashing 50k at your local Pattaya hangout is not smart.

Not sure what're you talking about. I never did such thing. Invested time, money, and efforts to learn the language at basic level. On the contrary, if you open any thread in TV forum, you will find the kind of reaction people post that says all about their attitude towards Thailand and Thais. 

Edited by theoldgit
Responses to removed posts removed.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

After reading all of your post about flashing 50k, Pattaya etc, I get the impression that you've posted in the wrong thread...

It seems that you didn't read any of my posts then, obviously.

I was advising people to NOT flash cash around, and I hate Pattaya. If you had read my posts then you would have known this. Maybe there were too many words for you, though. Next time I will make it simpler.

Maybe think before you post.

Edited by pr9spk

Another thing to keep in mind, is where you are going to "boomboom" when you get a bit bored with you wife. In an Issan village, every smile you dispense to the local "hotties" will get reported to you MIL. I get all my medical done at Bumrungrad which is a stone throw from Nana.  And then it remains a small world...????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1