How To See Village Life In 48 Hours

kaphi

With a long weekend coming up I thought I'd visit a major tourist attraction in Thailand, the Isaan, home of the rural uneducated voters.

Ok, seriously - I would like to spend the weekend getting to see the countryside a little. I've been a year in Thailand and never been to the North East. I thought about grabbing a bus from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani and then just head countryside from there.

Any suggestions or ideas on good ways to see life in the countryside? I am looking for alternatives to my "go to ubon, take the bus to somewhere and get off at whereeveraburi" or possibly suggestions to the exact buri :o

If you want a chilled out way, instead of a cramped coach, the train (first class) is a nice way to do it. Then it's just a matter of how long you want to travel.

I don't mind cramped couches. Done my share of backpacking and enjoy that way of travelling the most.

I am looking for a few good destinations (small towns, typical - not special - scenery... anything with personal recommendations) to visit this way.

The Phra That Yasothon festival is held this month.

If you went to Yasothon, it might be a good idea to visit Roi Et - which is one of the nicer small cities and is close.

Good idea,

Roi Et is a great place.

Cant wait to get back there.

post-18138-1172982753_thumb.jpg

post-18138-1172982790_thumb.jpg

post-18138-1172982820_thumb.jpg

Roi et is probably one of the most beautiful places in Thailand.

If you decide another route.

Loei, (เลย) , west of Udon Thani, is to my mind THE most stunning mountainous region. But I've travelled there on a motorbike, not sure about using public transport.

Shame that you can only manage a long weekend, a week or more would be much better.

You could do

Ubon - Yasothon/Roi et - Udon Thani/Nong Kai - Loei/Lom Sac - Phitsanulok - Ayyuthaya - Home

Phitsanulok and Ayyuthaya are not in Isaan, but well worth a visit.

Have a good time

If you are looking to see small village life get on a bus from Bangkok to Mukdahan and get off at Ban Kham Phok it is a small village about 65 kms. west of Mukdahan. You can stay at Thai House Resort, a small resort run by a transplanted Ausie and his lovely Thai wife. David will look after you, here is there web site: http://www.thaihouseresort.com/index.html Issangeorge

I've actually done this twice before with my now Thai wife, I hired a mini van with a driver that came from my wifes home town, he drove from Korat and picked us up in Bangkok. I hired him for four days at 1,300 baht per day plus fuel, i also paid for his hotel room as well but it was very cheap. All we did was drive around Issan and we saw something that looked cool we'd stop. It was a blast...driving around and taking in all the sites and culture was so cool. Brought along a disposable ice chest full of beer chang and water, me terak brought the snacks and it was great! by the time our trip was over we had made some very good friends and saw some amazing sites!

If you do try this just make sure you start looking for a hotel room by about 4pm or might get stuck in a dump.

I've been thinking about doing my next Visa Run into Laos at Savannakhet including spending some time in Isaan along the way. One of my wife's best friends lives in Karasin and we're planning to spend a few days there. Can recommend sites to see and places to stay in Karasin and around Mukdahan, Khon Kaen, or Roi Et?

Roi et is probably one of the most beautiful places in Thailand.

If you decide another route.

Loei, (???) , west of Udon Thani, is to my mind THE most stunning mountainous region. But I've travelled there on a motorbike, not sure about using public transport.

Shame that you can only manage a long weekend, a week or more would be much better.

You could do

Ubon - Yasothon/Roi et - Udon Thani/Nong Kai - Loei/Lom Sac - Phitsanulok - Ayyuthaya - Home

Phitsanulok and Ayyuthaya are not in Isaan, but well worth a visit.

Have a good time

The journey from Phitsanulok to Khon Kaen is fantastic by Honda Wave :o . Lom Sak is breathtaking and so is the road through Nam Nao National Park.

I live in a beautiful village called Chat Trakan with its famous waterfall but it is not in Issan although many locals speak passa Issan.

Edited by garro

Thank you all for the interesting tips - I'll be sure to bookmark the thread for my next trip.

What I ended up doing:

- Took a bus to Ubon Ratchathani, arrived around 6pm

- Looked around the town (interesting - rather up to date entertainment / cinemas / bars at roughly 1/3 of the prices in BKK, hotels all seem to have been built in the 1970s - gives it an Eastern European look. Paid 250 THB per night - basic, clean fan room)

- Next day a trip to Baan Pa Ao (TukTuk 300 THB, return incl. waiting time), from where a friend of the TukTuk driver took me on a Motorcy-Tour to a small village, showed me around there for an hour (free!)

- Took some time to get to know the nightlife (surprisingly young - they all seem to be around 20 or uni students, in BKK it's mostly a few years older)

- Next day rented a taxi for a day (8 to 6, 1500 THB incl. fuel / probably could have paid only around 1000-1200 if I bargained) and went to see two national parks on the Laos border (Pa Tem has a stunning view - that's where you have the painted cliffs), two colored river (didn't see two colors, nevertheless nice), Chong Mek border (nothign special), Sirinthorn Dam (much smaller than I thought, still interesting to get to see a countryside palace and if you have a slight interest in the economy/industry if Thailand).

- Went home in the overnight bus

Less village life, more sights (though those were usually deserted except for a handful of Thai tourists)

Aside from the view at Pa Tem there is nothing really "wow/amazing". But if you don't need a beach to relax and are interested in seeing something different in a country you've been living in for a while I can recommend it.

Thank you all for the interesting tips - I'll be sure to bookmark the thread for my next trip...........................................

Happy to hear that you enjoyed yourself and have done something different to the norm.

Allow yourself more time for your next trip as there's a lot to see

I've been thinking about doing my next Visa Run into Laos at Savannakhet including spending some time in Isaan along the way. One of my wife's best friends lives in Karasin and we're planning to spend a few days there. Can recommend sites to see and places to stay in Karasin and around Mukdahan, Khon Kaen, or Roi Et?

In Roi Et, Poon Petch sport club ( the name is not what it is all about ) is a good place to stay.

Serviced apartments with A/C, real toilet, hot shower, TV, balcony and fridge if you want.

It is almost new and they were building a pool there when we were there this time last year.

Has great resturant and is close to most things of interest.

I will be there this time this year as well, maybe 1 week.