London Embassy E Visa Applications Start Date Changed From April 1st to May 2019.

11 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

While I appreciate you have to go to Bangkok for a UK VISA the difference in transportation costs in Thailand is considerably less than the costs in the UK.I can get a cheap train ticket from my town in the UK if I book 3 months in advance but to book within a couple of weeks it costs in excess off £150 and I might even have to have an over night stop in London.

Surely they will realise that or maybe allow places like Hull to issue the Visa after you submitted your application online like they do with the 90 Day Visa ?

Indeed but as there was an EXCELLENT postal application option before, it would be so good if that was available. More convenient for the applicants AND the Embassy, I would have thought. For applicants the benefits are obvious, for the Embassy, they never need to be bothered with the public going in to see them!

Just issue the already screened and paid-for applications by email - job done!

Bottom line, is that this is NOT an eVisa - it's presently just a screening and appointment system.  To see how an eVisa system works, check out the Cambodia methodology, and, I believe, others in the region too. My Cambodia eVisa took about 20 minutes to read the instructions, apply, pay and await an email with an attachment.

Edited by VBF

3 minutes ago, VBF said:

Indeed but as there was an EXCELLENT postal application option before, it would be so good if that was available. More convenient for the applicants AND the Embassy, I would have thought.

I can’t see the logic in making it online as I assume they would need more staff and for me it would more time consuming having to do face too face applications.

Then again do Thais ever do anything logical ?

7 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I can’t see the logic in making it online as I assume they would need more staff and for me it would more time consuming having to do face too face applications.

Then again do Thais ever do anything logical ?

I can. The applicants apply online, get approval online, pay online and submit it.

Then all the Embassy staff need to do is check it and email out the visa sticker or document to be carried with the passport. No forms, cash / postal orders, or actual passports for them to handle and post back - no actual paper at all in fact!

That needs fewer staff than they need now. That is, if it's done properly of course! ????  See my comment about Cambodia above.

Edited by VBF

1 minute ago, VBF said:

I can. The applicants apply online, get approval online, pay online and submit it.

Then all the Embassy staff need to do is check it and email out the visa sticker or document to be carried with the passport. No forms, cash, or actual passports for them to handle and post back

That needs fewer staff than they need now. THAT is if it's done properly of course! ????  See my comment about Cambodia above.

I couldn’t see them sending out a Visa sticker without having the original Passport in their hands first ?

20 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I couldn’t see them sending out a Visa sticker without having the original Passport in their hands first ?

Why? Cambodia does exactly that!

THAT is the point of the online approval. The sticker or issued document number would match the online submitted approval documents - both would include the passport number. When you get to Thailand, both the passport and emailed sticker / document are scanned - as the passport is already.

Edited by VBF

On the website on the Thaï Embassy at Paris they say they want to apply this system to all embassies of Thailand around the world. But, when (if of course) it will happen, what will happen for people who want make a visa and who lives in Thailand?

We will have a choice or we must imperatively make our visa in a Thai Embassy of our country?

3 minutes ago, beeyonder said:

On the website on the Thaï Embassy at Paris they say they want to apply this system to all embassies of Thailand around the world. But, when (if of course) it will happen, what will happen for people who want make a visa and who lives in Thailand?

We will have a choice or we must imperatively make our visa in a Thai Embassy of our country?

Interesting point, I apply for a multi entry non o Immigrant Visa based on me being in receipt of my UK State Pension in London by post, will I be able to apply at any Thai Embassy or will I still need too apply in London.

i have all the relevant documentation, Pension Statement so why can’t I apply in Thailand ?

7 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Interesting point, I apply for a multi entry non o Immigrant Visa based on me being in receipt of my UK State Pension in London by post, will I be able to apply at any Thai Embassy or will I still need too apply in London.

i have all the relevant documentation, Pension Statement so why can’t I apply in Thailand ?

That's the same non-O ME based on state pension that Dad gets. It's probably at least as complicated getting to Queen's gate in London, as it is flying to BKK and getting a taxi to destination, from where we are, just a longer duration and slightly more expensive...

To Airport, -Flight 1, -Train, (possible overnight hotel), -Tube train.???? 

Vs

To Airport, -Flight1, -Flight2-Taxi to Pattaya???? 

Edited by johnwf1963

14 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

In theory, it is possible for you to apply to get a 30-day visa-exempt permission to stay which you will be granted upon your arrival in Thailand converted to a single-entry non-O visa at your local immigration office here. But, in practice, this could be fraught with difficulties which might well make a trip to the Royal Thai Embassy in London look like a walk in the park for you by comparison.

In particular, your office might require you to get your supporting documentation endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok. You should be aware, in this connection, that the MFA’s offices are located a fair way out from the centre of Bangkok – which could therefore add to the overall length and general awkwardness of the physical trip you would need to make from wherever you chose to settle in Thailand. But, should you still be interested in considering this possible option, I suggest that you google “Non-O Visa Conversion” for further info from both this forum and other sources.

20 hours ago, VBF said:

Are you referring to https://thaievisa.go.th/Files/UserManual_EN.pdf  ?

I'm led to believe that this is NOT part of the official embassy site - so is it valid?

But if i'm correct do you mean this on Page 21?

image.png.42e1db8bf32a17ff1d2a0916303c3d1f.png

If so I THINK the word "Post" refers to posting the application online, rather than through the Postal Service, but how you can do that with an Original Passport beats me!

And in fact AFTER that on Page 22 it says:

"The system will show the available date and time for you to make an appointment."

So still not a postal application.

A 59 year old friend just applied by post and received a 12 month multiple entry Non-Imm 'O' based on retirement.

Paul Visa.jpg

Edited by Jip99

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

A 59 year old friend just applied by post and received a 12 month multiple entry Non-Imm 'O' based on retirement.

Of course he did - the new so-called "e-visa" to which this thread applies hasn't started yet!

I might as well say that I got my SETV through the post last December!

That's the point...in the past and NOW the Embassy offered / offer a postal application option - they appear to be removing that with this "appointment system" starting in June.

Edited by VBF

10 minutes ago, VBF said:

Of course he did - the new so-called "e-visa" to which this thread applies hasn't started yet!

I might as well say that I got my SETV through the post last December!

That's the point...in the past and NOW the Embassy offered / offer a postal application option - they appear to be removing that with this "appointment system" starting in June.

"Of course he did"...................................... strange when the website and all references here state single entry only for retirement.

21 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

"Of course he did"...................................... strange when the website and all references here state single entry only for retirement.

That's not the point of the thread - the point is regarding the "e-visa" and the upcoming changes.

3 hours ago, VBF said:

That's not the point of the thread - the point is regarding the "e-visa" and the upcoming changes.

You might have designs on being moderator but it is very much the point......if they are issuing ME visas based on retirement now, will they be included in the online application system (if it actually happens).

29 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

You might have designs on being moderator but it is very much the point......if they are issuing ME visas based on retirement now, will they be included in the online application system (if it actually happens).

No such ambitions thank you.

Read the manual as was linked to above and on Page 27 it shows (highlighting is mine):

image.png.822040cae3919fda37e6e81a0bd64701.png

So one can INFER that this new scheme (if, as you say, it actually happens) will encompass more than one type of visa.

However, as I commented above I do not know if this manual is either official or final being as it's not actually on the Embassy's website.

The manual is at https://thaievisa.go.th/Files/UserManual_EN.pdf with the embassy announcement being at

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/news/7512/98499-**e-visa-application-will-start-from-15-June-2019*.html

There is a link from the Embassy site to https://thaievisa.go.th but I wonder if this is a 3rd party organisation tasked with processing Visas on behalf of the Embassy??? This may or may not be relevant - I repeat....I do not know

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

A small but possibly significant (?) change about which I became aware today:

The London Embassy website has changed but is still confusing - the "How to apply by post" page is largely unchanged except for the addition of the first part:

"From 15 June 2019, visa applicants in the UK and Ireland have to apply online. "

However I notice that P21 of the Guideline PDF http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/contents/filemanager/document/Guide to Thailand evisa v0.2.pdf 

now CLEARLY shows a "submit application by post" option,

image.png.7650c918409892c7926ffc43414cb379.png

I'm sure this is new on the Embassy site but appears to be a more readable version of this  https://thaievisa.go.th/Files/UserManual_EN.pdf

The only problem with it is that the instructions following Page 21 give NO further information about the Post option - just the Submit Application in Person option and there are no instructions as to what to do other than making an appointment.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2

^ Will not be a postal option unless gets added in by future request by london embassy .

Without option of getting visa at main border entry points for the basic visa options it long way from improvement/benefit for the average person applying .

In time this online appointment could be the norm for all westerners even at local region consulates .

Just now, BuckBee said:

^ Will not be a postal option unless gets added in by future request by london embassy .

Without option of getting visa at main border entry points for the basic visa options it long way from improvement/benefit for the average person applying .

In time this online appointment could be the norm for all westerners even at local region consulates .

You cannot say that with any certainty! If you were correct, why would there be the "Submit application by post" option in my post above (#46)?

IMO...this is still a "work in progress" and likely to change again in the coming days/weeks.

9 hours ago, BuckBee said:

I was told by London embassy postal option no longer going be offered once new system running, I hope they changed plans as backward step if not .

It would be interesting to know when the London Embassy told you that. If it was a while ago (when this new system was first announced), things seem to be changing, as I implied in #48.  We live in hope.

4 hours ago, VBF said:

It would be interesting to know when the London Embassy told you that. If it was a while ago (when this new system was first announced), things seem to be changing, as I implied in #48.  We live in hope.

25th of April, was told new rules and online system does not support postal option .

Hopefully they been able influence it in already, would seem backwards move if can't and I can see transition period being a mess with usual thai different information pending on who you speak with and the day of the week .

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend emailed the Embassy today as follows:

On 09 May 2019 at 09:42 <name> wrote:

Hello,

When you introduce the new e-visa system, is it compulsory for me to attend the Thai Embassy in London?

I would prefer to use the postal service or attend the consulate in Liverpool. This is very much easier than having to travel 250 miles to London and staying overnight in a hotel.

Thank you

He received the following reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Before you submit the application on that time, please ask us again as we have not known about the process yet.

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer
Royal Thai Embassy
29-30 Queen's Gate,
London,
SW7 5JB
www.thaiembassy.org/london

So I repeat what I said above - this is still a "work in progress" and also things seem to be changing.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 4:10 AM, BuckBee said:

I was told by London embassy postal option no longer going be offered once new system running, I hope they changed plans as backward step if not .

I was in there end of April and asked the girl about the new online system, she rolled her eyes as if in exasperation and said "next month, maybe..."

For the time being, applications do seem to be extremely straightforward, and minimal queues to deal with.

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

<snip>

For the time being, applications do seem to be extremely straightforward, and minimal queues to deal with.

Well it hasn't started yet so not sure what you mean. At present one can apply by post because the "old" system is still operating.

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Well it hasn't started yet so not sure what you mean. At present one can apply by post because the "old" system is still operating.

I chose to go in person as it's faster, issued next day and any issues with documentation can be clarified on the spot. Postal applications take 3-5 working days.

The new e-visa system looks to be a retrograde step where neither postal or walk-in applications will be possible. I got the sense that the embassy staff were not at all enthusiastic about it. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I chose to go in person as it's faster, issued next day and any issues with documentation can be clarified on the spot. Postal applications take 3-5 working days.

The new e-visa system looks to be a retrograde step where neither postal or walk-in applications will be possible. I got the sense that the embassy staff were not at all enthusiastic about it. 

Obviously the staff won’t be too enthusiastic instead of dealing with postal applications they will have to be dealing face too face with applicants instead of sitting on a back office.

For me it could be very expensive, a return journey from the N.E. of England and a possible overnight stay in a hotel.

• Like 1

^

the plus side is you choose location of appointment so may have a closer consulate option .

One can only hope they get to retain postal application even if just for most basic visa applications .

It will be a mess during transition period and is a shame as London embassy pretty efficient with current setup .

8 hours ago, BuckBee said:

^

the plus side is you choose location of appointment so may have a closer consulate option .

One can only hope they get to retain postal application even if just for most basic visa applications .

It will be a mess during transition period and is a shame as London embassy pretty efficient with current setup .

I can’t see where it says you can choose the location of your appointment, for me it reads it can only be collected in London ?

4 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

he plus side is you choose location of appointment so may have a closer consulate option

The consulates in the UK are honorary consulates which not be an option show on the website for a applications.

5 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I can’t see where it says you can choose the location of your appointment, for me it reads it can only be collected in London ?

Only official Thai consulates would be shown and there are none in the UK.

• Thanks 1