Popular Thailand Writer Goes To Prison

toptuan

Some of you have read blogs or travel books by Carl Parkes, popular travel writer for SE Asia, primarily Thailand. Noticing that he hadn't updated his blogs since July of 2006, I started an internet search. Here's the disappointing results:

DECEMBER 7, 2006

SAN FRANCISCO - A San Francisco man was convicted Wednesday on several felony counts stemming from a July incident in which he beat an 81-year-old woman with a motorcycle helmet, the District Attorney’s Office announced.

The incident occurred on July 23, when 54-year-old Carl Parkes grew angry with the woman for taking a section of a newspaper from the steps of his Gough Street residence to complete the crossword puzzle inside.

As the woman continued to make her way down the street with the help of a cane, Parkes called for her to come back. As she turned around, he came up from behind, hitting her repeatedly in the head with the motorcycle helmet and yelling at her to not come back to the street.

A couple driving by witnessed the incident and called for help as Parkes began to walk back toward the residence. An ambulance arrived and transported the woman to the hospital, where she received staples in her head for lacerations caused by the beating. She has since recovered from her injuries.

Parkes was arrested and taken into custody in lieu of $400,000 bail. He was unable to make bail and was in jail until his trial began last week.

After a seven-day trial, a jury found Parkes guilty of misdemeanor battery, felony elder abuse and assault with a deadly weapon.

“This verdict sends a message that if people are going to take advantage of a vulnerable victim like an elderly lady by assaulting them, we are going to prosecute them to the fullest extent of law,” said Alan Kennedy, prosecutor for the elder abuse unit of the District Attorney’s Office.

“This was a great overreaction by the defendant and he showed tremendous anger. We don’t tolerate this kind of behavior or misconduct against elders in our community.”

Because of his crimes, Parkes is eligible for a maximum sentence of five years in state prison. He is scheduled for sentencing on Jan. 19.

[email protected]

Update from another popular Thailand blogger, Mango Sauce:
JANUARY 8, 2007

Travel writer and blogger Carl Parkes (a.k.a. Friskodude) is on extended hiatus in a California prison after beating up an old lady who stole his crossword puzzle.

On July 23rd, Parkes, 54, was returning to his San Francisco home when he spotted an old woman removing the puzzles section from his Sunday newspaper. As she hobbled away with the aid of a cane, the furious blogger gave chase.

According to eyewitnesses, Parkes repeatedly bludgeoned the 81-year-old about the head with his motorcycle helmet. Ironically, just the previous day, he'd posted a blog entry about the plight of abused maids in Singapore.

His elderly victim was rushed to hospital by ambulance where she received treatment for multiple lacerations. Parkes was arrested and remanded in custody pending trial.

Last month, he was found guilty of misdemeanour battery, felony elder abuse and assault with a deadly weapon and now faces a possible five-year jail term. He'll be sentenced on January 19th.

I'm told that prisoners often discuss Thailand (and Pattaya in particular) so Carl's cellmates will probably appreciate his knowledge and experience. However, they'd be well advised to ask before borrowing his bongo mags.

Friskodude is expected to be on hiatus until July 2011.

Edited by toptuan

I saw it on the 'net in July when the offence occurred.

I like the puzzles section myself but I wonder whether if it had been a 200lb, jail weights bulked, crack head he'd have enjoined the pursuit so enthusiastically.