Mysterious Vehicle Registration

I'm a little confused and have a couple of questions regarding my wife and a vehicle registration. I'll try to keep this short, but here's a little background information (*provided to me by the wife.)

Several years prior to meeting my wife she and her then boyfriend bought a car together and it was registered in her name.  Fast forward 13 years, my wife has spent the majority of this time living outside Thailand and has returned to start a business, she buys a new car and learns there's another car registered in her name.  She finds out the ex-boyfriend has acquired this car and her name is on the registration, apparently he forged her signature.  She talks to me and say's she's going to take the car...I tell her that's probably not the right thing to do as it's not the same car you helped pay for some 15 years ago, but to get your name off the vehicle registration.  She contacts the ex and for some reason he doesn't want to put the vehicle in his name, so after his only wanting to "sit down and talk about it" she goes to the local police and they tell her "if under her name it's her car."  Finally after no resolution she takes the local police to his residence where he is persuaded to produce the car keys and she drives away with the car.  Now my questions are :

1. Does this sound right to anyone with an understanding of Thai legal workings?

2. Why wouldn't/couldn't he just change the registration?

3. Is this the end of the drama?

Blue book is proof of ownership.

When car is sold, the DLT change the name in the blue book - actually add the new owner to the list of owners.

If book in her name, it is hers.

Edited by canthai55

2 hours ago, chuck6660 said:

1. Does this sound right to anyone with an understanding of Thai legal workings?

2. Why wouldn't/couldn't he just change the registration? 

3. Is this the end of the drama?

1. Yes

2. Maybe he was worried about debt collectors taking it? Or maybe he has been using it for illegal purposes?

3. Does it ever end if you are involved with Thai people?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

1. Yes

2. Maybe he was worried about debt collectors taking it? Or maybe he has been using it for illegal purposes?

3. Does it ever end if you are involved with Thai people?

Spot on with 1 and 2. With Q3 , he will be annoyed about loosing the car , so i wouldnt sell it just yet. Maybe he will buy it back , providing any outstanding tax and fines are paid. Registered in his name . of course.  There will be no financial loss to yourselves if this proves the case.

He could of course sue her in court because actually he bought and paid for the car, so in theory it's his. But this would involve admitting that he forged her signature, so he will probably not do this.

Edited by jackdd

Thanks for the response, I’m sure he’s pissed about losing his car; however he’s a farang living in Thailand and I believe he doesn’t want the scrutiny of someone like “big joke” as he obviously has done some questionable activities.