Married to Thai - changing her last name

skylane

I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I posted it here with most of the other marriage related questions.

Does anyone know if a Thai person, after getting married (to a westerner), can change her last name on her Thai ID to use both last names with a hyphen?

e.g. last name: kiradech-smith

p.s. I was told this could be done, but now i'm told some new law prohibits this now.

Thanks

I dont know if it can be done, but I can tell you it will cause all sorts of problems. My wife changed her last name to mine a simple process at the Amphur. Having a different last name to you will cause problems with visa's etc and will cause complications you dont need. Get her to use your name is my advice.

4 minutes ago, jimn said:

I dont know if it can be done, but I can tell you it will cause all sorts of problems. My wife changed her last name to mine a simple process at the Amphur. Having a different last name to you will cause problems with visa's etc and will cause complications you dont need. Get her to use your name is my advice.

Why keeping her name can cause problems?

In my case the complete opposite, been married nearly 8 years, my wife kept her name at my insistence.

If you are marrying a government employee, let her keep her own name, then there are no problems.

Married here twice, both government employees, first wife changed her name, no end of problems, second wife kept her name, no problems what so ever.

Archived