No Motorcycle Taxi Stands On Footpaths From June

george

It is supposed to be illegal to ride motorbikes on the pavement

Actually, last time I read the Thai "Highway Code" it's legal to ride motorcycles on the pavement, as long as the road is congested.

Haha. Not sure if that's a joke, but it would not surprise me at all :o

Is there really such a thing as the Thai "Highway Code" ? Is there an english language version ?

Is it legal to ride a motorcycle in the wrong direction down a main road ? I'm very curious.

It's not a joke - but it's only in Thai (though people doing a driving test do get a brief glance at an English translation).

It's not legal to ride a motorcycle in the wrong direction.

And I'm sure you're very curious, too.

Where can I get a copy (thai language) ? I must show it to my wife :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about them driving on the footpaths (sidewalks) thats still OK :o if you are a thai person then there really is no fine... are they planning any places for them to move or is just a law which they can choose to follow or look the other way?

No mention of insurance in the report. Is there a requirement for this? I personally do not use motorcycle taxis having witnessed two crash into each other going in the same direction on the same street. Fortunately no serious injuries, but the drivers didn't stay arround long enough to find out.

Actually, last time I read the Thai "Highway Code" it's legal to ride motorcycles on the pavement, as long as the road is congested.

Are you sure the Code doesn't say it's okay for *bicycles* to ride on the sidewalk/footpath? Can you imagine Harley-Davidson choppers legally clearing the path of pesky pedestrians? Vrrrooom, vrrroooom, vrrrooom. :o

What about them driving on the footpaths (sidewalks) thats still OK :o if you are a thai person then there really is no fine... are they planning any places for them to move or is just a law which they can choose to follow or look the other way?

maybe they can inforce it and it may spread to phuket and samui,,,,,,,,,,

This sounds like great news for the motorcycle riders. Presumably the government will be building suitable shelters for them off the pavement so they aren't exposed to the sun and rain day in, day out - somewhere they won't have to breath in exhaust fumes all day. And it will undoubtedly provide toilets for them, too.

Too right - great news! How sad that it only applies in Bangkok, while the rest of us have to walk on the streets, and the poor, provincial m/c taxi drivers won't have all those 'big city' luxuries...

This is ridiculous, the pavements are blocked with all sorts of crap in Bangkok, motorbikes are a tiny percentage of that, but one of the most useful. Not sure if the people who are saying that it's a good thing as the pavements will be clear are being sarcastic or not, and someone says motorbike taxi riders go home for the "low season"? :o Tourist areas must make up well under 1% of Bangkok, and it's not really a tourist destination anyway, just a stop off for a day or two.

Actually, the right term is "sidewalk" (US English) or "pavement" (British English). A footpath is what goes through a park, a garden, a campus, and so on.

Okay, okay, yes, "footpath" is Thaiglish for the above, we are in Thailand, etc, etc. Yet the last thing a Thai "footpath" is for is feet.

And if all the motorcycle taxis get cleared off them, I'll eat my shoes, all of them.

Australian english....its is also called a footpath

This sounds like great news for the motorcycle riders. Presumably the government will be building suitable shelters for them off the pavement so they aren't exposed to the sun and rain day in, day out - somewhere they won't have to breath in exhaust fumes all day. And it will undoubtedly provide toilets for them, too.

These guys provide an essential service, yet currently have awful working conditions, and work for a pittance. I'm glad to see that the authorities are giving them their full support.

Oswulf, couldn't agree with you more!

What is it with all you guys??? whinge, whinge, whinge &^%$ whinge! This site is very informative and helps most of us keep up to date with the daily happenings and all the interesting gossip that's going on. But it also unfortunately brings out all the idiots who quite frankly don't deserve to be living here. Get a life! or leave! if you have got nothing better to do than to try and belittle the wonderful people of this country (motorbike taxis included) pack your bags and get the $%^& out of here (we don't want or need you). I have been here long enough to know when blow-ins like you lot (you know who you are) will come and go and be replaced by even bigger idiots. No wonder some of these low lifes end up "supporting" some new apartment block or bridge somewhere, i won't definately miss them!

Why June, why not start enforcing this law now?

This reminds me of my mate who is always going to stop smoking next month.

Because they are too busy right now enforcing bar closing times in Patong. Must be the same over worked cops.

Motorcycles driving down sidewalks running pedestrians off the pathway. I see it all the time.

Would be comforting to know a jerk on a motorbike won't be running me off the sidewalks, but most likely, this will be another excuse for the police to fleece the drivers even more.

"QUOTE(Oswulf @ 2007-03-02 21:02:42) *

QUOTE(RHCP @ 2007-03-02 20:47:05) *

Are you sure the Code doesn't say it's okay for *bicycles* to ride on the sidewalk/footpath? Can you imagine Harley-Davidson choppers legally clearing the path of pesky pedestrians? Vrrrooom, vrrroooom, vrrrooom."

YES very legal for big bikes too, i take my 1000cc Honda CBR up to the footpath every now and then when the road is packed. Havent gotten a ticket yet. Another thing that becomes legas is driving on the main road under the elevated expressway when it rains. Perfectly legal, i spoke with a cop. I love it, when car drivers thinks u gone mad driving among them. My titanium exhaust says " for track use only" but it scares the shit out of the john's in the cars haha....

Actually, the right term is "sidewalk" (US English) or "pavement" (British English). A footpath is what goes through a park, a garden, a campus, and so on.

Okay, okay, yes, "footpath" is Thaiglish for the above, we are in Thailand, etc, etc. Yet the last thing a Thai "footpath" is for is feet.

And if all the motorcycle taxis get cleared off them, I'll eat my shoes, all of them.

Nonesense, Australians usually call them footpaths. Although sidewalk and pavement would be just as easily understood.

Absolutely.......British call them footpaths too......at least where I come from they do!

This government really has got to grips with improving things.

Now`lets see........Take all the guys who sit on the footpath at Sukhumvit Soi 33 and stick them on the roadside.........Block half the road and cause a massive traffic Jam back to Asoke.....Everyone starts leaving their cars at home.......Fuel sales fall.........staff get paid off...need a new job........I know they can all become m/cycle taxi drivers.

These guys provide an essential service, yet currently have awful working conditions, and work for a pittance. I'm glad to see that the authorities are giving them their full support.

You're perfectly right. Only, I cannot believe City Hall proclamations before they are really turned into facts.

A reduction of the number of Motorcycle taxis in CBD is an awful joke. How do you go to work in time sitting in a car and waiting for movement on the road ?

posttenebraslux

I'm still waiting for these guys to clear the pavements and footpaths off of food stalls, junk clothing and all kinds of annoying touts, but I have a pretty wild guess I'm in for a lot of waiting.

"

Are you sure the Code doesn't say it's okay for *bicycles* to ride on the sidewalk/footpath? Can you imagine Harley-Davidson choppers legally clearing the path of pesky pedestrians? Vrrrooom, vrrroooom, vrrrooom."

YES very legal for big bikes too, i take my 1000cc Honda CBR up to the footpath every now and then when the road is packed. Havent gotten a ticket yet. Another thing that becomes legas is driving on the main road under the elevated expressway when it rains. Perfectly legal, i spoke with a cop. I love it, when car drivers thinks u gone mad driving among them. My titanium exhaust says " for track use only" but it scares the shit out of the john's in the cars haha....

So, because you "Havent gotten a ticket yet." is proof absolute that it's legal. :o

This is a Crock! It'll never happen. Apart from getting rid of them all together the only direction to go is up. Are they going to build stilted platforms for them? I doubt it.

What the authorities should do, at least, is define a speed limit on the sidewalks (footpaths) and give pedestrians the right of way.

So, because you "Havent gotten a ticket yet." is proof absolute that it's legal. :o

Yes, it is legal and it really is written in the highway code and I really can read Thai.

...(footpaths) and give pedestrians the right of way.

Absolutely. You have your right of way as long as your up to a fight against 220 kg of bike plus my 90 kg of rider. :D

Edited by dwwin

You're perfectly right. Only, I cannot believe City Hall proclamations before they are really turned into facts.

A reduction of the number of Motorcycle taxis in CBD is an awful joke. How do you go to work in time sitting in a car and waiting for movement on the road ?

posttenebraslux

I agree with both of you! They are even half-gods! - Hold on, did you say motercycle driver? Sorry, I thought motorcycle racer ...

:D:o

Bangkok's motorcycle trails.

Few cities in the world have taken care to ensure the safety and well being of motorcycles as Bangkok. Virtually every named road in Bangkok has a motorcycle trail. They are easy to find. They are located between the road and the buildings. They can vary in width from several meters to perhaps just one meter. Taking care to ensure the safety of motorcycles is obviously a high priority for the city.

After all, having to deal with buses, taxies, trucks, tuktuks, and cars when driving on the main road can easily put the motorcycle in harm's way. The city has even provided a separate convenient invisible lane near the curb that motorcycles can travel the opposite direction on one way streets. The invisible lane is only visible from the seat of a motorcycle. Because of that, buses may accidentally drop off pedestrians directly in front of motorcycles on the invisible lane causing a collision that could injure the motorcycle operator.

The only remaining problem the motorcycles have is the pedestrians that walk on the motorcycle trails. This happens very frequently because the motorcycle trails are very similar in appearance to sidewalks. It’s easy for the pedestrian to get confused and accidentally walk onto the trail. That poses a risk that the motorcycle may become damaged when colliding with a pedestrian. Fortunately for the city, few if any legal cases have been brought to court by motorcycle operators. Certainly they could successfully seek in court financial restitution from the city for allowing pedestrians on the motorcycle trails. I am sure judges can clearly see and would rule for the motorcycle.

The judge could easily rule that the city is negligent in ensuring the safety of motorcycles on the trails by repeatedly allowing pedestrians on them. So for the sake of the motorcycles and the bank account of the city, Bangkok probably should make a more direct effort to keep the pedestrians off the trails. I am sure they could easily divert manpower from the police that are actively putting pressure on some adult venues that attract tourists by early closings.

I understand the logic behind this indirect approach. Because tourists visit several types of venues, restaurants and stores, by eliminating one the others would also feel the same pressure by reduced numbers of tourists wanting to come to Bangkok. This is similar to clipping a few feathers on a bird wing. Just clip a few and the bird can’t fly, you don’t need to clip them all. Personally I feel that is the wrong approach. Simply because not all the pedestrians in Bangkok are tourists, and would only reduce the number of pedestrians on the motorcycle trails and not eliminate them.

Bangkok's motorcycle trails.

Few cities in the world have taken care to ensure the safety and well being of motorcycles as Bangkok. Virtually every named road in Bangkok has a motorcycle trail. They are easy to find. They are located between the road and the buildings. They can vary in width from several meters to perhaps just one meter. Taking care to ensure the safety of motorcycles is obviously a high priority for the city.

After all, having to deal with buses, taxies, trucks, tuktuks, and cars when driving on the main road can easily put the motorcycle in harm's way. The city has even provided a separate convenient invisible lane near the curb that motorcycles can travel the opposite direction on one way streets. The invisible lane is only visible from the seat of a motorcycle. Because of that, buses may accidentally drop off pedestrians directly in front of motorcycles on the invisible lane causing a collision that could injure the motorcycle operator.

The only remaining problem the motorcycles have is the pedestrians that walk on the motorcycle trails. This happens very frequently because the motorcycle trails are very similar in appearance to sidewalks. It’s easy for the pedestrian to get confused and accidentally walk onto the trail. That poses a risk that the motorcycle may become damaged when colliding with a pedestrian. Fortunately for the city, few if any legal cases have been brought to court by motorcycle operators. Certainly they could successfully seek in court financial restitution from the city for allowing pedestrians on the motorcycle trails. I am sure judges can clearly see and would rule for the motorcycle.

The judge could easily rule that the city is negligent in ensuring the safety of motorcycles on the trails by repeatedly allowing pedestrians on them. So for the sake of the motorcycles and the bank account of the city, Bangkok probably should make a more direct effort to keep the pedestrians off the trails. I am sure they could easily divert manpower from the police that are actively putting pressure on some adult venues that attract tourists by early closings.

I understand the logic behind this indirect approach. Because tourists visit several types of venues, restaurants and stores, by eliminating one the others would also feel the same pressure by reduced numbers of tourists wanting to come to Bangkok. This is similar to clipping a few feathers on a bird wing. Just clip a few and the bird can’t fly, you don’t need to clip them all. Personally I feel that is the wrong approach. Simply because not all the pedestrians in Bangkok are tourists, and would only reduce the number of pedestrians on the motorcycle trails and not eliminate them.

Surprisingly well written John- a nice evening smile.

Why June, why not start enforcing this law now?

Maybe because then it will be low season, and a lot of moto-cy drivers will have gone back to the moo baan. Announcing it in advance also gives them a chance to think of something else to do... cut-grass, rummage through rubbish bins, sell brooms from a barrow, hand out "sexy lady" leaflets, etc, etc. :o

dont recall every seeing a farang tourist on the back of a biketaxi - Especially in BKk - so dont see low season happening - as OP said these guys provide a great service and I for one use them on a regular basis as it saves me driving my car to places I cant park in my neighbourhood - and yes cheap -- and they are always so helpful and willing to help out if they can = i am happy to tip where necessary - even the other farang living here in my building use them everyday -teachers of course -- going to the BTS etc -- so i hope to see their working conditions get better if that is possible -- they do endure all sorts of lousy weather - long days - and survival income - but I will wait to see how long they take to enforce these new rules and how long they will be enforced for --

LOL - you are kidding, right?

There are lots of A to B routes that can only be negotiated on a Bike at certain times of day, unless you like 3 hour taxi rides.

While the "tourist" falang may be less willing to use the motorbike taxi, the regulars/locals have no problems.

"QUOTE(Oswulf @:02:42) *

QUOTE(RHCP @:47:05) *

... Another thing that becomes legas is driving on the main road under the elevated expressway when it rains ...

Er, I do not understand that. What is the "main road" and why would it not be a normal thoroughfare in the normal case ??