Thaksin Party Urges Pm Not To Bow Out

george

Thaksin party urges PM not to bow out

BANGKOK: -- Acting Thai Rak Thai Party leader Chaturon Chaisaeng on Friday advised Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to remain undaunted by criticisms and never call it quits, and that any cabinet reshuffle should only be done on a small scale.

The acting TRT leader said he feared democratic rule would not return to the Thai people soon enough, should the prime minister decide to resign.

Mr. Chaturon said the prime minister should stabilise his government and publicise the government policy which is not seeking to steer Thailand off the course of economic globalisation so that investors' confidence in this country would be restored.

The fact that the party of the deposed and discredited former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is functional in a public manner--despite the ban of political activity on the part of politicians and parties by the coup makers proclamations last September--is in itself a commentary on the Thai political scene. The advice is coming from a strange quarter.

Such economic policies as the government has should even be declared (and clarified) to the world before a new finance minister is named, Mr. Chaturon said, apparently seeking for the political community a better idea of just what the current government's policy actually might be.

Other than the post of finance minister currently left vacant by the resignation of Pridiyathorn Devakula, the acting TRT leader said, the prime minister need not reshuffle any other members of his cabinet.

Inexperienced persons should not be named ministers because they would need some months to learn their jobs, and a general election is being patiently awaited in foreseeable future, Mr. Chaturon

commented.

The naming of a new minister by Gen. Surayud should not be made under pressure while the working attitudes of current ministers, including those attached to the Prime Minister's Office, should be adjusted to the extent that they become less hostile to politicians and more constructive to others, the acting TRT leader said.

Mr. Chaturon added the Surayud government should stop exaggerating its performances to the public, encourage the people to participate in during the rewriting the Constitution and no longer work under the influences of the military which staged the September 19 coup.

He said the Surayud government had failed considerably in those areas so far.

--TNA 2007-03-02

White man speaks with forked tongue

No.

The man speaks with a justified fear, knowing that Surayud is the far lesser of the available evils, who most possibly does want to bring back some sort of democracy.

If Surayud is forced out now without a direct return of the '97 constitution and immediate elections, then there is an opening for the hardliners in the military, and then things will indeed turn from bad to ugly, not just for TRT members.

No.

The man speaks with a justified fear, knowing that Surayud is the far lesser of the available evils, who most possibly does want to bring back some sort of democracy.

If Surayud is forced out now without a direct return of the '97 constitution and immediate elections, then there is an opening for the hardliners in the military, and then things will indeed turn from bad to ugly, not just for TRT members.

Been reading to many Clancy books my friend. Need someone with more balls to nail Toxin and his left-overs for good.

No.

Been reading to many Clancy books my friend. Need someone with more balls to nail Toxin and his left-overs for good.

Are you suggesting the current regime lacks balls? They are doing everything they can to neutralize Taksin's legacy without totally plunging the country into civil chaos. What would you see a hardline military government doing that isn't currently being done? Simply seize all Taksins assets? Or how about all assets of all former TRT cabinet ministers- wait- lets go one farther- here's balls: how about concentration camps for suspected TRT sympathizers?

And why stop at Thailand? Every country has it's share of domestic grief- maybe most countries would benefit from some real men with real balls taking the helm. Just like in the good old days in Europe. Or more recently, USSR or- Burma. There's 'balls'.

I tend to agree with colpyat on this one. The TRT would not do anything that was not self serving. If you recall many government project were put on hold until they figured out how to make money on them.

No.

Actually, Clancy is not in my library, though relevant here several books on recent Thai history. They are rather enlightening about issues such as what happens when hardliners in the military come to power. May i direct you you to read up on especially the incident of the 6th October 1976, and the regime that came to power afterwards.

Sounds like

No.

Actually, Clancy is not in my library, though relevant here several books on recent Thai history. They are rather enlightening about issues such as what happens when hardliners in the military come to power. May i direct you you to read up on especially the incident of the 6th October 1976, and the regime that came to power afterwards.

I do not think history will repeat itself, however that was a similar scenario that Toxin and his corrupt cohorts were trying to instigate before he was kicked out. Given his other agenda it is fortunate I think for Thailand that he was relieved of his duties sooner rather than later. However like a virul infection, a course of penicillan has to be taken completely, not just stopped after the symptom subsides, as it will surely return, most often in a more virulent form.

No.

Taxin or as you said toxin is not all that bad

No.

Taxin or as you said toxin is not all that bad

Always amazes me that some are quite willing to turn a blind eye to the several thousand killings so that Thaksin can be labelled as not that bad. Pinochet and the Argentine genrals did not achieve as many deaths in longer rules so I would guess by this standard they must be really good guys.