Anti-junta camp says it has numbers to form govt

webfact

2 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Let's just say, that with a true proportional system, PTP would have had north of 10 million votes, if not 11 million. They did only contest in 250 constituenties instead of all 350. courtesy of the EC and constitutional court disbanding PTP sister party. 

So the discussion Clinton versus Trump isn't even relevant on that level, in the US elections are not being tilted towards the ruling party by disbanding competitors.

Thailand doesn't have a proportional representation system. Neither do most countries in the world. PTP got just over 7 million votes. Period.

PTP's sister party fell foul of trying to be too clever! Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Thailand allocates seats based on party list as well as constituency winning. There comparing the total number of voters for a party as opposed to number of seats won is an interesting but worthless exercise. Just like it was in the US. But numerous posters on here kept repeating the "Hilary won the popular vote" - so what? That isn't how the US system works. But if those same posters only say that because they like Hilary but don't like Prayut so try and avoid it, then that's hypocrisy.

The reality is in Thailand it isn't contest judged on who receives the most total votes. End of. 

9 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

I think it is very very clear that FFP would join PTP, other than you, many people in Thailand want their country back. The country that Prayuth stole from them.

By the way, she cannot become a PM. As she apparently was on the party list, and PTP gained 0 Party list votes. (courtesy of yet another Junta machination) in any case, according to the Bangkok Post PTP offered Thanatorn the PM seat. 

With this election result, I believe Prayuth will be gone within a few months, whatever route he will choose. 

I think FFP, like others, made it clear they were against the Junta, Junta supporting parties, and would not enter into alliances with the Junta. I don't think they ever said they would put themselves under PTP rule.

Be interesting if in the final seat allocation, when the final results are made known and all the squabbling finally settles (if ever!) to see what happens if PTP get no party list seats and therefore none of their "chosen" ones become MP's. Really interesting if FFP's founder becomes PM to see if he's really independent given his family's close connections. 

I think you might be right regarding uncle too. For some reason I get the idea he's actually not that bothered if it ain't gonna be a smooth ride!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Thailand doesn't have a proportional representation system. Neither do most countries in the world. PTP got just over 7 million votes. Period.

PTP's sister party fell foul of trying to be too clever! Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Thailand allocates seats based on party list as well as constituency winning. There comparing the total number of voters for a party as opposed to number of seats won is an interesting but worthless exercise. Just like it was in the US. But numerous posters on here kept repeating the "Hilary won the popular vote" - so what? That isn . 't how the US system works. But if those same posters only say that because they like Hilary but don't like Prayut so try and avoid it, then that's hypocrisy.

The reality is in Thailand it isn't contest judged on who receives the most total votes. End of. 

Nope, and I never claimed such a thing. Please read my remark in the context it was posted in. As to PTP reaching almost 8 million votes, yes you are quite correct. That you seem to believe that abolishing parties with no ground whatsoever is just, simply illustrates you have no idea about how true democracy should function.

In any case, as you rightly pointed out, Thailand doesn't have a proportional representation system, and in that light, PTP is by far the most succesful party in this election, of the 250 constituenties it fielded candidates in, it won 137 of them, making them the biggest party in parliament, even if it was denied the right to field candidates in 100 more constituenties due to the sister party being disbanded on dubious grounds. 

And with this election result, the PTP coalition can count on 253 seats in the lower house. So Prayuth might go the senator route, but that will not work in the long run. 

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

I think FFP, like others, made it clear they were against the Junta, Junta supporting parties, and would not enter into alliances with the Junta. I don't think they ever said they would put themselves under PTP rule.

Be interesting if in the final seat allocation, when the final results are made known and all the squabbling finally settles (if ever!) to see what happens if PTP get no party list seats and therefore none of their "chosen" ones become MP's. Really interesting if FFP's founder becomes PM to see if he's really independent given his family's close connections. 

I think you might be right regarding uncle too. For some reason I get the idea he's actually not that bothered if it ain't gonna be a smooth ride!

I don't think they will be putting themselves under PTP rule, that's not how coalitions work. As to Prayuth, sure, he still has ample control even if he doesn't become PM, if he howerver chooses to become PM going the senator route, I believe the majority in the lower house can now simply sent him packing, and a new round starts, but now without several machinations, maybe then we can actually get a free and fair election. 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2019 at 3:27 PM, webfact said:

The anti-junta bloc consists of Future Forward, Puea Chart, Prachachat, Seri Ruam Thai, Phalang Puang Chon and New Economics parties.

Which is why the Future Forward party, which gathered so many votes that they have become a long term threat, is facing charges. Once he is convicted, despite of being guilty of nothing but love for country, the party will be dissolved and their MPs no longer counted.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, chama said:

Which is why the Future Forward party, which gathered so many votes that they have become a long term threat, is facing charges. Once he is convicted, despite of being guilty of nothing but love for country, the party will be dissolved and their MPs no longer counted.

Sadly, I voted thank you. 

Because it is simply the truth.

The junta cannot afford to lose the election.

Thailand cannot afford Apirat to have another coup.