Britain's May offers to quit to get her Brexit deal over the line

webfact

8 minutes ago, vogie said:

She won't have any involvement with phase 2.

Vogie, you’ve gone all ‘soft and wobbly on us’.

Where’s all your ‘Out means out’ ‘March 29th’ ‘Hard Brexit now! gone?

As I have pointed out, Brexiteers have consistently argued the EU is not negotiating, now you’re talking about ‘Phase 2’.

What nonsense is this?!

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Like there are as a full member state.

But if Brexiteers argue, and they have, that the EU isn’t listening then your explanation is welcome but doesn’t cut the mustard on why TM’s deal suddenly becomes acceptable if she resigns.

Try watching the news and reading about whats going on .

I have to go and watch the news and read about whats going on , then I have to come on here and try to explain to you whats going on .

You can watch the proceeding live on television , do some research yourself to find the answers to your questions .

Ask the M.P's those questions , I cannot tell you everything that you want to know 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

She won't have any involvement with phase 2.

Because she says so? 

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

She would not be leading the negotiations for future relations with the EU and the opportunity for a more pro-Brexit PM to lead the second stage.

It would be really interesting to see how a new PM is being picked; whether they pick a strong PM with a clear and compelling agenda or someone that merely lobbies for Brexit. If I was a citizen, I would be pretty sick that politicians keep dancing around Brexit while no one is dealing with actual issues. 

10 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

She would not be leading the negotiations for future relations with the EU and the opportunity for a more pro-Brexit PM to lead the second stage.

That sounds about right .

Could you stay here and explain things to Chomper , he doesnt really understand whats going on 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

It would be really interesting to see how a new PM is being picked; whether they pick a strong PM with a clear and compelling agenda or someone that merely lobbies for Brexit. If I was a citizen, I would be pretty sick that politicians keep dancing around Brexit while no one is dealing with actual issues. 

Not going to happen until a Withdrawal deal is passed, so no need to worry about it for now. Elected by Conservative Party MPs. If you were a citizen you would be making a cup of tea.

Edited by SheungWan

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

That sounds about right .

Could you stay here and explain things to Chomper , he doesnt really understand whats going on 

Ok. After I have finished sorting you lot out will get on to it toute suite.

1 minute ago, dick dasterdly said:

It would be too late by then, particularly as a result of the 'backstop'.

Pretty much everyone (?) agrees that the eu/may deal is worse than remaining - so I agree with the remainers' posts on this issue.

Exactly.

But the pure truth of this is being avoided.

A truth avoided is not a truth negated.

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

Nobody has gone soft and wobbly on anything, you asked a question, I answered it, I did not indicate that would be my choice, but as usual you ask a question and when answered, turn it into the Spanish Inquisition.

If I can put on record stating my prefered choice would be to leave The Hotel California without a deal, but self serving MPs keep putting even more obsticles in the way, that may not happen, but on the other hand it still may happen.

It would seem that the outcome of Brexit is only known to remainers, is it wishfull thinking or do you really have inside information.

I know what your preferred option is and I know that TM’s deal was roundly criticised as worse than remain.

The reason this turns into ‘a Spanish Inquisition’ is the gaping holes in Brexiteer logic.

As for the outcome of Brexit, I like to remind myself.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its a mystery , no one here on Thai visa knows .

Why will TM be resigning and her deal gets passed ?

Could someone go and read the news and find out and report back to us ?

I am busy reading the 76 page UKIP manifesto 

Why on earth are you reading the UKIP manifesto??

Edit - I ask, as suspect they are a 'done force' now that Farage has disowned them and started a new party.

Edited by dick dasterdly

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I know what your preferred option is and I know that TM’s deal was roundly criticised as worse than remain.

The reason this turns into ‘a Spanish Inquisition’ is the gaping holes in Brexiteer logic.

"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

Precisely which 'bird in the hand'??

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I know what your preferred option is and I know that TM’s deal was roundly criticised as worse than remain

If you know what my prefered option was, why say I am going wobbly.

Maybe some leavers inc JR Mogg think that Mrs deal is better than a slap in the belly with a wet fish.

Unless there is EU intervention on May's deal, I can't see how it could be amended and supported by a house majority - and unless parliament vote to accept an unchanged deal, Bercrow wouldn't allow a third reading. Even if he did, it is likely to be defeated again.

And if May tries to rundown to a no-deal exit it is assured parliament would pass legislation to prevent it, which could lead to a general election - which could mean the EU would extend Article 50.

And then there is the referendum choice, which I suspect would be a cop-out by the government and parliament - but it could happen.

• Thanks 1

To comment on the indicative voting held last night. MPs were requested to support as many choices as they wanted. While there was no consensus, statistically that would be not unusual with so many options to choose from.

What it does do, is to open Monday's round of voting, when MPs know the results of the last vote, and that could lead to MPs voting for the more popular choices, when a clearer path could be agreed.

Or, at least, that is the purpose.  

And as May's deal has been criticised as worse than remaining in the EU, it has to change.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The Remainers have as much idea as the man in the moon. Of their favourite options, none of them made it past the commons last night. It seems that Remainers cannot decide amongst themselves. Even with a delayed exit, they are still running out of time.
The HOC backed secondary legislation to delay the exit to match the EU council dates. The statutory instrument changes the European Union Withdrawal Act, alters the Brexit date to either May 22, if May’s deal is passed this week, or April 12 if it is not. What is going to happen in the next two weeks?
Even with May’s promise to resign, without DUP support her surrender document is unlikely to pass, and according to Bercow will not be brought before the house again anyway.

No ‘agreement’, no options, no plan, no more extensions, defaults to No Deal.

"What is going to happen in the next two weeks?"

No idea, but I'm sure it will be both entertaining and extremely annoying at the same time! ????

"No ‘agreement’, no options, no plan, no more extensions, defaults to No Deal."

I doubt MPs will allow this to happen, as the vast majority are remain supporters (and my doubts about some of the more prominent brexit MPs are increasing too).....  Edit - I also wouldn't rely on 'no more extensions' ????.

Edited by dick dasterdly

10 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Parliament takes control and then votes No to every option. You couldn't make this sheeit up. Looks to me like it's down to the following.

1.  May's deal

2.  No Deal

3.  Revoke article 50

If Bercow is as good as his word (I don't believe he is, his decisions are based on his desire to Remain) then option 1 cannot be voted on again. So we're down to No Deal or revoke article 50. I don't believe they can revoke article 50 at this stage so we're out on April 12? Maybe, but I believe if we got close enough to No Deal then the EU would blink and do something about the backstop to get May's deal through. Anything to get their grubby little paws on the 39 Billion, the little scrotes that they are.

The UK can revoke Article unilaterally without any EU agreement right up to 11pm 29 March. I doubt that would happen, though.

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Parliament takes control and then votes No to every option. You couldn't make this sheeit up. Looks to me like it's down to the following.

1.  May's deal

2.  No Deal

3.  Revoke article 50

If Bercow is as good as his word (I don't believe he is, his decisions are based on his desire to Remain) then option 1 cannot be voted on again. So we're down to No Deal or revoke article 50. I don't believe they can revoke article 50 at this stage so we're out on April 12? Maybe, but I believe if we got close enough to No Deal then the EU would blink and do something about the backstop to get May's deal through. Anything to get their grubby little paws on the 39 Billion, the little scrotes that they are.

I doubt MPs are brave enough to vote to revoke article 50, so another referendum is also possible?

6 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

The UK can revoke Article unilaterally without any EU agreement right up to 11pm 29 March. I doubt that would happen, though.

I think revocation of art 50 is carried on with the extensions that the EU give. Makes a mockery of the law IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

I think revocation of art 50 is carried on with the extensions that the EU give. Makes a mockery of the law IMO.

Yes, quite correct now that the EU have agreed to extend the date at least to 12 April. That's the legal position. However, to extend past 29 March, the UK has to have EU agreement on any extension date. That is worrying, because it's outside UK's control. 

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I doubt MPs are brave enough to vote to revoke article 50, so another referendum is also possible?

No point in having another referendum , why would people vote Brexit again , when the last vote wasnt carried out ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

They can’t do it to get an extension though. It has to be intended to actually remain. 

If the UK revokes Article 50 before 11pm 29 March they don't have to have any EU agreement, and it must be crystal that it means remain.

However, if in the future the UK decides to exit the EU, after revoking article 50 once, that could be a whole new can of worms. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vogie said:

It does prove one thing though, anything is better than remaining in the EU. And Mrs Mays deal is so bad you have to fire yourself to get it through.

Here are the indicative votes from last night for those who have yet to see them.

Screenshot_2019-03-28-05-43-50-442.jpeg

This is Boris's better deal out than in . Where is the vote for 350m for the NHS ????