Which passport to use

Hi my Thai wife has dual nationality, Thai and British. We are planning a trip to Switzerland and it would be easier for her to use her UK passport. Can she use the Uk passport to leave and return to Thailand without any problems? Does anyone have any experience of this? Would it be best for her to carry both passports in case of problems on her return to Thailand? We did something like this 20 years ago and remember it wasn't straightforward. thanks

She should leave Thailand using her Thai passport then enter and depart Switzerland using her UK passport and then use her Thai passport to enter Thailand. No problem to do it that way. People do it all the time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

She should leave Thailand using her Thai passport then enter and depart Switzerland using her UK passport and then use her Thai passport to enter Thailand. No problem to do it that way. People do it all the time. 

If she leave Thailand with Thai passport without Swiss visa, the airlines could refuse to board her, best to show both passport at the check in desk, but only use Thai passport at the Immigration desk or use automatic machine to leave Thailand

4 hours ago, humdrumdays said:

Hi my Thai wife has dual nationality, Thai and British. We are planning a trip to Switzerland and it would be easier for her to use her UK passport. Can she use the Uk passport to leave and return to Thailand without any problems?

The airline wants to see the passport she will be using at her destination when she's leaving Thailand. Immigration want to see the passport she will be using to show her entitlement to stay/live in Thailand.  Presumably her UK passport does not have a Thai residence stamp in it, so they won't want to see that one

13 hours ago, humdrumdays said:

Many thanks Ubonjoe I understand using the 2 passports in that way. But when we book the flight which passport number do we use? 

I have never had to give a passport number when booking an international flight.

Some countries do require airlines to collect advance passenger information, which includes passport numbers, but this is usually done at check in.

If unsure, ask the airline when you book if they want one and if so, which. I imagine that as the first trip will be to Switzerland that if they do want one, it will be her British one.

You need to separate immigration and the airline.

The airline needs to ensure that you have a passport and/or visa to enter to country you are flying to, or they are subject to fines.

Then immigration cares about how you entered and how exciting, so use the same same passport that you entered on.

So in your wifes case, she will to show her UK passport at check in (I'm assuming there are no visa requirement for UK nationals to Switzerland) then she exits Thailand on her Thai passport at immigration.

On the way back, so long as she enters Thailand on her Thai passport all is fine

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

I have never had to give a passport number when booking an international flight.

Some countries do require airlines to collect advance passenger information, which includes passport numbers, but this is usually done at check in.

If unsure, ask the airline when you book if they want one and if so, which. I imagine that as the first trip will be to Switzerland that if they do want one, it will be her British one.

It's when you check in online that you have to input a passport number,easyJet require online check in and I think AirAsia does as well 

6 minutes ago, adammike said:

It's when you check in online that you have to input a passport number,easyJet require online check in and I think AirAsia does as well 

Most airlines allow, if not require, online check in up to 24 hours before the flight. As we both said, it is at check in, online or otherwise, that you need your passport and should use the one which allows entry to your destination.

You do not need your passport number when booking the flight.