Replace iMac with Windows-based Desktop

jeffandgop

22 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Where is Microsoft based?

And so are Dell, there's just something weird about Apple. As someone said of Apple ~ "i just want to buy a phone, not join a cult".

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, kekalot said:

not relevant as Microsoft doesn't premake or sell computers or laptops, Apple do.

Neither do Apple.  Apple designs laptops for manufacture by factories in Shenzen.  Microsoft also does that now.  

Both Apple and Microsoft are major US employers.  Both are US based corporations. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

You cannot UPGRADE your CPU, you buy a new one.

And your new one is DUAL core? What year are we talking about?

??

So buying a new one is upgrading isn't it?

As to your second question, why are you joining a thread of conversation that you haven't even bothered to follow?

Do you think people should repeat what they have written before because you could not be bothered to read it in the first place?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, atyclb said:

to be fair windows laptops can and do fail also. i had an asus eepc, one of the first small laptops and it developed all sorts of problems fairly quickly and was not worth fixing.

i think the heat in thailand cause more electronics to fail early imo. have had multiple failures here but not anywhere else but climate was cooler in other places.

i also have a lenovo carbon x1 with 2500 res touch screen and it has problems

No one is suggesting that they don't fail. If that it what you got from this you have missed the point.

The point is that the poster asked if there were any nine year old, still working Windows based laptops. 

• Like 1

I have bought two "Refurbished - Like New"  MS Surfaces on Amazon when I was on trips to the USA.  The 17 inch i7 Surface Book works as well as any desktop I've owned.  It's amazing how they were able to fit the i7 proc, 16 GB of memory and a 1 TB SSD into that tablet.  It streams very well with a cable, but not so well wirelessly.  The real champ is my 10.5 inch Surface Pro.  Its wireless is great and it streams an HD image to my LG bigscreen.   I don't do much else but stream with it because of my big fingers and weak eyes.  I can use the Windows pen to do other work but for streaming I find it preferable to the Android boxes, especially because ExpressVPN runs reliably on it and I can place myself in LA to get all of those US programs that won't stream overseas.  This July, while I am in LA, I will buy some more Surfaces, especially the 13- inch one which will be ideal for working in bed.  I have iPads and Android machines too but just find everything easier to do with the Windows OS.   BTW, the refurbished machines have been like new.  They were a great deal and Amazon got them to my American hotel the afternoon after I ordered them!

Edited by DogNo1
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Stocky said:
15 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Where is Microsoft based?

And so are Dell, there's just something weird about Apple. As someone said of Apple ~ "i just want to buy a phone, not join a cult".

lmao

they line up outside, even camp out the night before, just to be able to give apple money for a new product.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I have bought two "Refurbished - Like New"  MS Surfaces on Amazon when I was on trips to the USA.  The 17 inch i7 Surface Book works as well as any desktop I've owned.  It's amazing how they were able to fit the i7 proc, 16 GB of memory and a 1 TB SSD into that tablet.  It streams very well with a cable, but not so well wirelessly.  The real champ is my 10.5 inch Surface Pro.  Its wireless is great and it streams an HD image to my LG bigscreen.   I don't do much else but stream with it because of my big fingers and weak eyes.  I can use the Windows pen to do other work but for streaming I find it preferable to the Android boxes, especially because ExpressVPN runs reliably on it and I can place myself in LA to get all of those US programs that won't stream overseas.  This July, while I am in LA, I will buy some more Surfaces, especially the 13- inch one which will be ideal for working in bed.  I have iPads and Android machines too but just find everything easier to do with the Windows OS.   BTW, the refurbished machines have been like new.  They were a great deal and Amazon got them to my American hotel the afternoon after I ordered them!

a laptop cpu is quite small regardless of model. ram memory is also small and m.2 ssd's are the size of a stick of gum so far from amazing on how they fit that in a laptop.

not everyone needs it but osx and ipad ios are a lot better for music production and instrument effects for musicians as the latency is very low and theres many programs.

13 hours ago, JamJar said:
15 hours ago, atyclb said:

to be fair windows laptops can and do fail also. i had an asus eepc, one of the first small laptops and it developed all sorts of problems fairly quickly and was not worth fixing.

i think the heat in thailand cause more electronics to fail early imo. have had multiple failures here but not anywhere else but climate was cooler in other places.

i also have a lenovo carbon x1 with 2500 res touch screen and it has problems

No one is suggesting that they don't fail. If that it what you got from this you have missed the point.

The point is that the poster asked if there were any nine year old, still working Windows based laptops. 

intent was to be fair and objective to both apple and windows machines

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

a laptop cpu is quite small regardless of model. ram memory is also small and m.2 ssd's are the size of a stick of gum so far from amazing on how they fit that in a laptop.

not everyone needs it but osx and ipad ios are a lot better for music production and instrument effects for musicians as the latency is very low and theres many programs.

Look at an Intel NUC and then think how they get it all in the box.

For Music Production, Sonar Platinum, or Cakewalk, is now available free from Bandlab. All the instruments and plug-ins you will ever need.

16 hours ago, JamJar said:

What a very poor post.

First of all, I tell the truth about what I paid and even by your figures, I have paid less than half of what you paid.

But in actuality, your post is less than truthful

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2008/02/26Apple-Introduces-New-MacBook-and-MacBook-Pro-Models/

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2009/06/08Apple-Updates-MacBook-Pro-Family-with-New-Models-Innovative-Built-in-Battery-for-Up-to-40-Percent-Longer-Battery-Life/

The cheapest MacBook in 2008 cost US$1100. MacBook Pro US$2000.

Cheapest MacBook Pro in 2009 was US$1100

But here you claim to have paid US$799.

Just as importantly the spec of a budget laptop bought twelve years ago against the spec of a high end laptop purchased ten years ago isn't going to be a fair comparison.

A more fair comparison would be of my Toshiba laptop of 2009, for which I paid £250. and have spent £80 on the Samsung SSD and 8GB of RAM.

http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-a300-21h/

So your laptop cost at least three times, but likely at least four times more than mine.

Especially when, at the time, Apple products cost the same in Pounds in the UK as they did in the USA in US$.

So let's compare like with like.

The fact is that my budget Windows laptops are still performing faultlessly ten to twelve years later and I spent a fraction of what you have paid.

How about checking the price at B&H, one of the largest Apple resellers. They have something called sales.

Be careful who you call a liar AH

Edited by Jeffrey346

16 hours ago, JamJar said:

Remember what you write...

I have described two Windows devices that are as old and older than your MAC and they are working perfectly. Not only that, but they are running the latest Windows operating system, 

Whereas you are limited to OS X 10.11.x "El Capitan"....unless of course your MacBook is not really ten years old at all.... and you are exaggerating.

Understating the price and over estimating it's capability. 

Well.. Dick Tracey is back with all my MAC info..  Did you find my original receipt DICK?

• Like 1

Well, I think we've had quite enough of the Mac/PC wrangling for one thread.

If someone can give me a really (really, really) good reason to re-open I will.

For now at least this thread is closed.

:mfr_closed1: 

• Like 1