Restore Or Copy Old Documents

ilyushin

A few weeks ago, I was going through my old certs and documents because of another topic on TV.Found many to be in seriously bad shape from years in thr tropics. Problems at the folded seams, edges, water marks, faded ink, etc...

Some of these documents, I really would like to restore as much as possible and others make backup copies as they are only gonna get in worse shape.

Can you suggets a method ( not just a scan ) to save these documents for ruins?

Thanks for any input.

:o

A few weeks ago, I was going through my old certs and documents because of another topic on TV.Found many to be in seriously bad shape from years in thr tropics. Problems at the folded seams, edges, water marks, faded ink, etc...

Some of these documents, I really would like to restore as much as possible and others make backup copies as they are only gonna get in worse shape.

Can you suggets a method ( not just a scan ) to save these documents for ruins?

Thanks for any input.

To preserve the originals laminating them in plastic sheaths probably the best answer, I have done this at home quite cheaply with my own Rexel laminator, but whether this is an option in LOS or not I cannot say. Others may have answers to that one.

A walk around the office suppliers or services may come up with a solution.

after you laminate them, scan the documents into your computer using adobe acrobat, and make pdf files ouf of them. Then you will always have them available. Go a step further, and email them to yourself in a yahoo, or hotmail account, then no matter where you are in the world, you have access to the documents, if you need them, or if you have a fire, etc...

:D Thanks for the posts and advice. Yes, I've laminated some documents recently and years ago. Also had some stuck and covered on a frame type backing. Many have changed colors or worse. :D

The docs and certs that I am trying to save can be scanned, but the originals need to be saved too. I've seen old books and documents brought back to life so I will look around for this type of service. :o

Some people have informed me that lamination makes the documents worthless. :D I am sure in some cases, but not all.

I have an original transcript from my Uni ( changed the name since my graduation) that has torn at the folded seams and other important letters that need special attention. Fading, paper and ink color changes, stains, etc...

Thanks again fellow TV members.

:D

Is it not possible to make new Documents? (I don't know what Doc.s are in question) example, if you are talking about a land title deed, is it not an option to get this renewed by the relevent office at a small fee?

Is it not possible to make new Documents? (I don't know what Doc.s are in question) example, if you are talking about a land title deed, is it not an option to get this renewed by the relevent office at a small fee?

I'm guessing the answer is no then

Teesside archives collects and preserves archive material from official and private sources.

[email protected].

I am not advocating you send your document here, but most archive centres across the world restore old documents.

My thinking is that these people are often extremely helpful and you could always send them an e-mail and ask if they can advise you of the best way to preserve and restore your documents.

Edited by duratanium

I'm guessing the answer is no then

Thanks for your advice.