Top lawyer: Sorry, if you get married in Thailand while drunk you're stuck with it

webfact

Top lawyer: Sorry, if you get married in Thailand while drunk you're stuck with it

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News 

A top lawyer has responded to the case of Hollywood actor Nicholas Cage who asked authorities in Las Vegas to annul his marriage on the grounds that he was drunk. 

Cage said that he was so drunk that he "didn't understand" he was marrying his fourth wife Erika Koike and was misled that she had another relationship.

Chief of a lawyers' group Decha Kittiwithayanan said that in Thailand saying you were drunk would be no excuse - you'd be stuck with the marriage under Thai law. 

Drinking is a personal choice, he said, and with both parties having to state their intention to marry before an official there were no grounds to annul the marriage. 

No one was forcing you to drink, he said. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-04-01

At least Cage has a reason to come up with the drunk story as he's very rich person and has plenty to lose, unlike many poor locals who marries others who are equally poor and when things get tough or boredom sets in they take flight never to be seen again...   

I could reason differently, stating your intention when drunk is impossible because your not in full control of your actions. People should just not be allowed to marry when obviously drunk.

The official registering the marriage should not do so if people are under the influence of drugs (alcohol is a drug) and not in full control. But once its done its done.

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

So don't go out and get sloshed at a bar and fall in love with the bar girl and go off to the amphur next morning.  A big no no  !!

Fortunately foreigners need an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry, obtained from their Embassy. It can take a few days to get this, which is a very good thing.

Could you imagine if it wasn't necessary? There would be a little white wedding chapel in Nana Plaza. Maybe an Elvis impersonator too.

18 minutes ago, rjwill01 said:

You can go to jail for driving under the influence, but if you get married under the influence, it's ok? 2+2 doesn't equal 4 in this case. Cage alcoholism has ruined his whole life.

MUI = Married Under the Influence

DUI = Divorced Under the Influence

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

So don't go out and get sloshed at a bar and fall in love with the bar girl and go off to the amphur next morning.  A big no no  !!

Fortunately in Thailand getting divorced is as easy as falling off of a log and less painful!

10 hours ago, robblok said:

I could reason differently, stating your intention when drunk is impossible because your not in full control of your actions. People should just not be allowed to marry when obviously drunk.

The official registering the marriage should not do so if people are under the influence of drugs (alcohol is a drug) and not in full control. But once its done its done.

Breathalyser?

What a load of media rubbish. I know farangs and Thais who have been married and divorced more times than I've had hot dinners.

A Thai lawyer would be lucky to get a job as a janitor in a western law firm. 

Take away his fancy robes and he's nothing but a cheating  Thai punk eating somtam.

In the UK..think they phone the cops to take away yhe boozebag

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 hours ago, rjwill01 said:

Cage alcoholism has ruined his whole life.

Maybe his married life but certainly not his professional one. His role as an alcoholic in Leaving Las Vegas helped launch his career, and he was still in great form in last year's Mandy. 

Archived