Best place to apply for ED Visa

Hi

I Have got all required documents for ED visa (language course) so Im ready to go and apply for one.

I stayed here on ED for some 6 year, all my previous visas were obtained in Vientiane and so I would be willing to go there again.

The problem is that I used to stay here on ED for to many years and Im worried to get rejected. 

Although I do have a new passport since 2 years but obviously there are records in the system...

I have heard of people who were successful beeing approved in similar case as my (changed passports)  but I sense that it could not be so smooth anymore after the online appointment came into life. 

I guess the system has been designed not just to have the que booking to be easier but to allow better check of applicats previous records even before they appear in the consulate...

What is your view on that? 

What other consulates would be a good go except Vientiane?

Thanks for all advices, specially those based on facts rather than  common sense ????

19 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:
19 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

entering Thailand using it is another matter. 

MFA.

?

Are you suggesting I wouldn't get a stamp even with the visa in passport? I guess I'm getting the picture but just to make sure...

2 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

MFA, Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 

Yes, getting a visa is not a guarantee to be allowed entry. 

Understand. So the MFA database will be of access to the immigration officers at all entry points....?

Thanks a bunch.

Just now, kd2000 said:

Understand. So the MFA database will be of access to the immigration officers at all entry points....?

No

It is immigrations database that would still have records of your previous entries to the country after getting a new passport.

It depends where you enter the country as to whether you will have a problem.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, kd2000 said:

Thanks a bunch.

MFA has no database, that's why they will not know your history. 

Immigration on the other hand knows. 

27 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

The consulate has no access to immigration database

What's more... 

Maybe not immigration database but I imagine they would have a record of the applicants applying in their consulate at least 

And read the bottom of the  attachment. That's the regulations of the online appointment system. 

Screenshot_20190401_104728.png

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

It is immigrations database that would still have records of your previous entries to the country after getting a new passport.

It depends where you enter the country as to whether you will have a problem.

What would you suggest going back from Vientiane? 

I'm going back to Chiang Mai afterwards. Usually would cross the bridge over leading  to Udon Thani.. 

13 minutes ago, kd2000 said:

Maybe not immigration database but I imagine they would have a record of the applicants applying in their consulate at least 

And read the bottom of the  attachment. That's the regulations of the online appointment system. 

They do not keep any records other than your previous applications. They do not bother going back looking through their archives whey you apply for a visa. They only look at your passport pages.

Those terms and conditions mean nothing since they do not have access to any database.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kd2000 said:

I'm going back to Chiang Mai afterwards. Usually would cross the bridge over leading  to Udon Thani.. 

That is the crossing at the bridge in Nong Khai. No problem there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the crossing at the bridge in Nong Khai. No problem there.

Yeah Nong Khai...Was at the back of my head. Very likely will follow that advice and thank you so much for helping! 

Out of curiosity what about Yangon?I have seen good references on that too. 

How is it right there. You fly to Yangon but get back through maesot to skip the entry at the airports? 

10 minutes ago, kd2000 said:

Out of curiosity what about Yangon?I have seen good references on that too. 

How is it right there. You fly to Yangon but get back through maesot to skip the entry at the airports? 

Not sure about Yangon. You might want to look at a 8 and 9 on their list of requirements here.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/services/36231-Education-visa.html

It is a long trip by bus to the crossing to Mae Sot from Yangon.

1 hour ago, kd2000 said:

I stayed here on ED for some 6 year, all my previous visas were obtained in Vientiane and so I would be willing to go there again.

What is the issue-date on the last ED Visa in your passport? 

Vientiane has a rule about how often they will issue them.  See here:

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure about Yangon. You might want to look at a 8 and 9 on their list of requirements here.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/services/36231-Education-visa.html

It is a long trip by bus to the crossing to Mae Sot from Yangon.

8 wasn't a problem for my school. 

As for 9 there must be 25k balance. Big question was whether that 25k must be coming out as from incoming overseas transactions. 

And yeah. True, distance and cost are a way higher in comparison to Vientiane  

8 hours ago, JackThompson said:

What is the issue-date on the last ED Visa in your passport? 

Vientiane has a rule about how often they will issue them.  See here:

19 February 2018..

Don't understand exactly that regulations but I hope I'm good to go? 

Is it 1 visa per calendar year? 

Savannakhet would be an easy second option in Laos ? Just make sure you have a skinful of Beer Lao to cope with that monotone town.

No financials needed to support an ed visa there. Just a slab of paperwork. Go in a bit later than the 'tourista train' queue from before 9, so they have all cleared out.

Edited by freedomnow
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Got it with no problems.

Something to mention...

The online appointment system is not such an improvement as one might think.

1. There was no available slots even I was booking it 2 weeks ahead before my visa expiration. So I had to pay 1900 tbh for 7 days extension as the nearest available slot was 5 days after the date of my exit stamp.

2. 2-3 hours waiting to apply even with a que number.

3. Some 2 hours to collect as well.

4. Getting stamp in Nong Khai was smooth and fast. Getting minivan from lao side which moves you over Thai IO right to UT airport seemed to be very fast and hassle free as opposed to the buss which takes you just over friendship bridge to Nong Khai. Minivan cost 200 thb.

Udon Thani --> Chiang Mai, Nok Air at 19.20 is safe to catch after visa collection at the same day and it cost around 1200 thb.

Thanks to all for help.

• Like 1