Uk Freeview In Thailand Using Slingbox

gummy

Started new topic as the other thread was specific about US television so did not want to drift of that topic.

So, as Freeview in the UK, is exactly that free, albeit you have to buy the set-top box. Would I be correct in assuming that an enterprising individual with a decent broadband connection could sell a service to those of us in Thailand who wishes to participate?

I mean by this that for an agreed annual service fee say, would it be possible for this service supplier in the UK to have installed multiple slingboxes so that each subscriber in Thailand would have their own internet acces to their own slingbox back in the UK ? Any IT gurus out there advise as to whether there would be sufficient bandwidth available for multi boxes to transmit concurrently for this idea to work?

Copyright constrictions would prevent any commercial service.

However on a private level someone could probably service a few user and make a profit.........................

But we cannot discuss that here.... :o

Started new topic as the other thread was specific about US television so did not want to drift of that topic.

So, as Freeview in the UK, is exactly that free, albeit you have to buy the set-top box. Would I be correct in assuming that an enterprising individual with a decent broadband connection could sell a service to those of us in Thailand who wishes to participate?

I mean by this that for an agreed annual service fee say, would it be possible for this service supplier in the UK to have installed multiple slingboxes so that each subscriber in Thailand would have their own internet acces to their own slingbox back in the UK ? Any IT gurus out there advise as to whether there would be sufficient bandwidth available for multi boxes to transmit concurrently for this idea to work?

I will gladly pay to join !

I watch TVU and enjoy it immensely even if low definition when dispayed on full screen.....great definition if on the small screen.

It would be truly GREAT if we got UK freeview here. If an American can do it, surely a Brit can.

Copyright constrictions would prevent any commercial service.

However on a private level someone could probably service a few user and make a profit.........................

But we cannot discuss that here.... :o

But could we discuss on how we would do it, if it would be legal?

Just theoretically....

For educational purposes of an not existing business?

Multi slingboxes would work, however you would also need multiple sky boxes as well, ideally one for every user - so that every user has the choice of channel!

Better way would be to offer a single slingboxed channel to multiple users, say "sky movies" and not allow the slingbox to change the channel of the skybox.

Still the bandwidth here is the problem, may look fine on your 21" TV or computer monitor but DVD's take 3-4 megabits per second to achieve their quality, lucky if you get 10-20% of that bandwidth here.

Multi slingboxes would work, however you would also need multiple sky boxes as well, ideally one for every user - so that every user has the choice of channel!

Better way would be to offer a single slingboxed channel to multiple users, say "sky movies" and not allow the slingbox to change the channel of the skybox.

Still the bandwidth here is the problem, may look fine on your 21" TV or computer monitor but DVD's take 3-4 megabits per second to achieve their quality, lucky if you get 10-20% of that bandwidth here.

Hold your horses ! We're talking about FREEVIEW here not Sky. Therefore no hassle with Rupert who certainly would not like the idea of breaching his copyright one bit. Using ones very own freeview box would eliminate /reduce any copyright problem as the channels are free anyway and one is only transfering the viewing from one part of the world to another. No cards and no encryption problems.

Can you think of other problems ? As for low definition tvu is fine to watch. Itrs not films we want as there are enough of these in Thailand ! What we dont have here is local UK programming which is what Freeview is all about i suppose.

A friend has offered to be my Slingbox server from the US to Thailand. He can also play DVDs for me.

Regarding DVDs, Ben, are you saying the quality would be unwatchable (using a computer LCD screen)?

Edited by Jingthing

Actually you do have problems even with Freeview, there is a TV license to pay for and I'm faily sure that you would breach other laws regarding transmission etc... It may be freeview for a single family paying the TV license on their home but I doubt that covers hundreds of viewers over the globe.

Actually you do have problems even with Freeview, there is a TV license to pay for and I'm faily sure that you would breach other laws regarding transmission etc... It may be freeview for a single family paying the TV license on their home but I doubt that covers hundreds of viewers over the globe.

You are one hundred prcent correct ! But at least we wont have Rupert on our back the only person likely to take action to shut down anything that would detrimentally affect his income flow and its unlikely the Beeb would be concerned or want to get involved unless as you say large numbers of people were involved.