Uk Settlement Visa For My Wife's Son

My Thai girlfriend and I are going back to Thailand at Easter to apply for a settlement visa for her 12 year son. We have been together for 5 years and are getting married here in the UK at the end of March. Previously i worked in Thailand as a teacher and i continue to work in education now.

My wife and her ex have been seperated (they were never legally married) for around 8 years. She has always had sole custody of their child and has a paper from her Amphur to say this.

My question is, basically, what documentation should i provide in making this application. I am thinking it is the same as what i've previously provided for my wife's applications, plus the custody document. Am i right in thinking this?

All our other visa applications (2 tourist and one settlement) have gone incredibly smoothly, without as much as an interview needed. For some reason though i'm nervous about this one. Any help, hints, tips or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

'Lucid Lucifer'

Hi LL,

There are quite a few past posts regarding this issue, it might be worth doing a search because you will get an awful lot of peripheral info at the same time.

You are correct the sole custody paper from the Amphur is the most important piece of evidence you require, this negates any obstruction from the Biological father.

It appears you have done all the hard work, if your partner has complied with the visa regs I would suggest it is a formality, but on this point and your requirements I'll will leave it to the guys who know it by rote.

Your partners child has the same immigration status as your partner, so unless there is an over riding reason for refusal I am sure it will be fine.

Please check your childs stamp before you leave, as there are instances of incorrect stamps being issued, trust me Scouse has spent an indeterminate of time trying to knock down the intransigence of the Bangkok Embassy regarding an issue of this kind, regarding my step-daughter.

Good Luck

Moss

As Moss says, provided she has sole custody and you show that you can meet the the maintenance and accommodation requirements then the boy's visa should be a formality.

My Thai girlfriend and I are going back to Thailand at Easter to apply for a settlement visa for her 12 year son. We have been together for 5 years and are getting married here in the UK at the end of March.
When does her fiance visa expire? Will it still be valid when she returns to the UK, or does she need to get her FLR before she leaves for Thailand? The IND website says they are currently working on FLR applications received in January, so you should allow at least 2 months for her FLR to be processed, during which time the IND will have her passport so she will be unable to leave the UK.

Of course, the above assumes she has a fiance visa. As you have been together 5 years she may have an unmarried partners visa, in which case forget the above!

Edited by GU22

Hi and thanks to Moss and GU22 fot your replies,

Her fiance visa runs out on the 1st June so she has plenty of time to get back to the UK before it expires. We fly out on the 1st April and need to do a couple of bits when we get there, we are hoping to put the application in on the 4th.

Moss, can you please tell me what you mean exactly by checking the stamps. Do you mean the visa stamp from the embassy or stamps from the Thai's upon departure?

One other thing, is it the same form i fill out for him as what i did for my gf? It seems to be, as you tick the appropriate box on the first page, but most of the form seems totally unapplicable to him e.g. questions about being married etc.

Thanks again

'LucidLucifer' :o

One other thing, is it the same form i fill out for him as what i did for my gf? It seems to be, as you tick the appropriate box on the first page, but most of the form seems totally unapplicable to him e.g. questions about being married etc.
Yes, use form VAF2, filling in only the parts that are relevant.

Moss, can you please tell me what you mean exactly by checking the stamps. Do you mean the visa stamp from the embassy or stamps from the Thai's upon departure?

I mean the visa stamp, they completely cocked up the visa my step-daughter was supposed to have and consequently have led to an inordinate of time trying to put it right, and I also didn't check it when it was issued, an oversight that I should really kick myself over, but then sometimes you have to have a certain amount of confidence in a professional body.

Good Luck

Moss