Thai attitudes to very poor people

dick dasterdly

12 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Maybe they felt it reflected badly on the OP giving away such a rusty old samlor, and were embarrassed on his behalf.

Maybe now one of them is having to help the old fella get the samlor to the scrap dealer.

Who knows?

Maybe I could ask my wife.  Maybe the OP could do the same.  His wife, not mine.

I reckon Thais must be reasonably generous to very poor people, since there seems to be money to be made from begging and selling stuff at traffic light intersections.

SC

I give up - you're quite welcome to think I'm 'publicity hungry' ????.

Feel free to re-direct the thread to your preferred option.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KennethSmiles said:

They have no interest in helping the have not's, only interested in emulating the greedy and the well off. 

Not another one stating .. the have nots ..Had one western guy here in chiang rai talking about the have nots and the haves . It is sad to see this in any society . People should try to help everyone

1 minute ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Ah that old chestnut. "Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes."

That way, when you do judge them you will be a mile away. And you will have their shoes! ????

You had no comprehension of what I said - or the reasoning behind that song, did you ?

2 hours ago, KennethSmiles said:

They have no interest in helping the have not's, only interested in emulating the greedy and the well off. 

Just like me. Thank god Im not alone

Edited by Nyezhov

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I  have lived in Issan at one point.

Generally poorer area but basic dynamics not different than the rural area I live in now.

One can indeed easily cause offense by providing charity, people do have their pride and it is important to them.  Also, what may look poor to you, may nto be by local standards, and there are gradations of poverty that may be hard for a foreigner to discern/understand.

There is also a sensitivity to the possibility that foreigner might "look down" on locals. Imagine for example that a wealthy Arab fro ma gulf state came to your home country, went into people's homes and started buying basic necessities for the kids. Would that not cause offense?

It is far harder or a foreigner to know when and how to be charitable without giving offense (or wasting their efforts) than it is for a local, and often helpful to seek local advice first accordingly. And to be very tactful and mindful of people's need for self respect....and their need to reciprocate in some fashion (do not turn down any gifts of thanks, regardless ofwhether you need or want them. )

With the exception of outright beggars, no one wants  to feel like an object of charity. We wouldn't like it either. In Thailand with the emphasis on "face", sensitivities are even higher than elsewhere and discretion and tact all the more important. If it looks like you are trying to publicly cast yourself  as a do-gooder at the expense of the "face" of the recipient, people will not think well of you for it nor should they.

But none of this implies any lack of compassion on the part of Thai people.  In fact it is my observation that Thais are extremely tactful and adept in showing kindness.

And yet the guy to whom I gave my samlor was extremely happy to receive the gift.

Having saId this, I give up.   Posters are more than welcome to feel that I did so for selfish reasons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I hope you believe me when I say that I am not trying to stereotype.

I'm only talking about my experience this morning that left me dumbfounded....

you should approach a few more thais see what the result is with a larger sample size

25 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

And yet the guy to whom I gave my samlor was extremely happy to receive the gift.

No doubt. And no doubt your intentions were good.

But he might have been even happier if you had been more discrete about it such that others would not know if he had bought it vs been given it for free.

People's unwillingness to join in the undertaking may among other things have been a desire to distance themselves from something being done in a too public/embarassing manner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But he might have been even happier if you had been more discrete about it such that others would not know if he had bought it vs been given it for free.

People's unwillingness to join in the undertaking may among other things have been a desire to distance themselves from something being done in a too public/embarassing manner.

Face is something I struggled with understanding for over 10 years, until I married my wife.

Her help in shaping my relations with Thai people - how they think, how it is expected to act - made a world of difference.

If you live here, and wish to be happy, best to be a little Thai ... and be a lot Thai in relations with others.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Face is something I struggled with understanding for over 10 years, until I married my wife.

Her help in shaping my relations with Thai people - how they think, how it is expected to act - made a world of difference.

If you live here, and wish to be happy, best to be a little Thai ... and be a lot Thai in relations with others.

Useful to study the meaning of "nam jai" and associated rules. It is a very, very important value  in Thailand.

And also "sam nuek boon".

Not just their meanings but how they are supposed to be displayed. Ostentatious  acts iof charity are not "nam jai".

• Like 2

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You know the wrong people

https://www.ted.com/speakers/mechai_viravaidya

Since 1974, Mr. Mechai has initiated community-based family planning services, innovative poverty reduction and rural education programs, large-scale rural development and environmental programs, as well as groundbreaking HIV/AIDS prevention activities throughout Southeast Asia.

One very rare example.

5 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

You know the wrong people

https://www.ted.com/speakers/mechai_viravaidya

Since 1974, Mr. Mechai has initiated community-based family planning services, innovative poverty reduction and rural education programs, large-scale rural development and environmental programs, as well as groundbreaking HIV/AIDS prevention activities throughout Southeast Asia.

If you are looking for an example of a 'typical' generous Thai, you might want to look further.  Mr. Mechai is probably one of the most admirable people in Thailand, but he is half Scottish and was educated abroad, so could not really be considered to be a typical Thai.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Absolute nonsense as regards Thais as a people.

Both empathy and charity are well understood and I do not find the percent of Thai people who practice them to be much different than people anywhere.

What you say may be true of the particular Thais you are dealing with but it is hardly true of Thais as a people.

They run the full gamut of types and characters. Selfish, selfless. Cruel, compassionate. etc

There may also be other issues at play, e.g. your motives may for some reason be being misconstrued or your actions not make sense to people as cosntituting charitable assistance.

As for the OP's story, I think most likely people either did not understand his plan to have the man make use of his samlor or may have felt it was clearly not going to work (and they could have been right on that score...not at all clear the man had any inclination or ability to make a go of being a samlor driver). Thais understand charity well enough, but development-type schemes less well...and sometimes the ones foreigners hatch aren't realistic to the situation or person for reasons they don't see buy that Thais easily can.

Sorry Sheryl, but I have to side with the OP on this.

I have multiple examples to provide but I will rely on just two.

First, I know a very poor lady and her much older husband (she muslim, he isaan but converted). He was in a bad motorcycle accident and had a good part of his gizzards removed as a result.  I visited them in their shanty and could see that he was not recovering very well.  So I spent the next month, providing them with lots of extra fresh meat and fruit and veges.  I also provided him with some multi vitamins.

He slowly turned around and made a decent recovery.  I stopped supply the extra rations.  His wife came to my house and asked if I could continue because she wanted to sell them at the village market.

This year a 30 something homeless Thai guy set up camp near the beach.  He came from Surat.  The local people were very weary of him, thinking he either murdered someone, or had drug mafia on his tail.  The guy speaks a little English so I do like to chat with him as it also helps me to practice my Thai.  I was at a night market with my girl and bought several shirts and shorts for him.  I gave them to him when no one was looking.  In my opinion the only worthy charity is that which is done anonymously.

Anyway.  A few days later. The guy asks me if I can buy him a gas bottle and stove so that he can cook on the beach.

Empathy and charity is viewed as weakness here.  And in my experience any act of altruism will be followed by a request for more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Us Farangs are world champions when it comes to charity. Just look at all the Farangs making all those charitable contributuons to younger Thai Females in Pattaya. Nowhere else have I seen Farangs displaying so much compassion and emphaty. It must be in the water.

12 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I've only been here 12 years or so, and have had little to do with the genuinely poor.

Which is why it came as such a suprise to see the reaction of Thais to the genuinely poor ☹️.

Stupid generalization based on observing a few people who might have had a perfectly good reason not to want to get involved, e.g., as Sheryl said, they didn't think your plan was workable.

But you are a good guy for trying. Heck, if Steve Jobs had invented something like this before popping off, I would reach into my iPad through the digital wires and give you a hug.

Because I am what you didn't see in your Thais, an empathetic and kind person who likes to make others feel better about themselves.

Edited by Bang Bang
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Thais do not understand empathy or charity

so damn right... most I met are psychopaths, sociopath, narcissists

and that was just describing my in-law family, every single on of them

rich , arrogant, snobbish, spending money like water,  mia nois , and for all their sins, they go give a large brown envelope at the temple to buy KARMA points

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I hope you believe me when I say that I am not trying to stereotype.

I'm only talking about my experience this morning that left me dumbfounded....

maybe they were not mechanically inclined... it is not really a normal request... I would have no idea how to fix a samlor myself... 

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

But in almost every village many are. They go about it quietly and tactfully.

I see this regularly too... I think this topic is just a wind-up... My wife grew up poor, and can be very giving to people with real problems. She would not help with a samlor having difficulty starting... it does not make her un-compassionate either. 

Edited by kenk24
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Sorry Sheryl, but I have to side with the OP on this.

I have multiple examples to provide but I will rely on just two.

First, I know a very poor lady and her much older husband (she muslim, he isaan but converted). He was in a bad motorcycle accident and had a good part of his gizzards removed as a result.  I visited them in their shanty and could see that he was not recovering very well.  So I spent the next month, providing them with lots of extra fresh meat and fruit and veges.  I also provided him with some multi vitamins.

He slowly turned around and made a decent recovery.  I stopped supply the extra rations.  His wife came to my house and asked if I could continue because she wanted to sell them at the village market.

This year a 30 something homeless Thai guy set up camp near the beach.  He came from Surat.  The local people were very weary of him, thinking he either murdered someone, or had drug mafia on his tail.  The guy speaks a little English so I do like to chat with him as it also helps me to practice my Thai.  I was at a night market with my girl and bought several shirts and shorts for him.  I gave them to him when no one was looking.  In my opinion the only worthy charity is that which is done anonymously.

Anyway.  A few days later. The guy asks me if I can buy him a gas bottle and stove so that he can cook on the beach.

Empathy and charity is viewed as weakness here.  And in my experience any act of altruism will be followed by a request for more.

No, they just view you are being a lucky foreigner with one of those magic ATM cards , where you can to to any bank and take all the banks money out and spend it on what you want 

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I was discrete about it!

Initially, I went to the clearly v. poor man and tried to tell him that I had a samlor that I didn't want.  He didn't understand what I was saying, so I walked to 'my' 'bike repair shop and explained to him - as he knew that I had a new samlor and he was more used to my appalling Thai.  He clearly wasn't happy about it, but reluctantly came with me to explain that I had a samlor that I didn't want.  I asked the 'bike repair man to come to my house as it was going to be v. difficult to start (and that obviously I'd pay him) - but he abruptly told me that the man to whom I was giving the samlor would start it.

Getting back to my house, I showed the v. poor guy that I had another samlor and so didn't want (mai au) my old samlor.

When he couldn't start it, I went to my Thai neighbours to ask if they could help start the 'bike (but obviously didn't say that I was giving it away to the guy).  When I'd previously had problems starting it they'd immediately rushed over to help, but this time they didn't want to know.

I'd wondered why the Thai to whom I was giving the samlor hadn't gone to the neighbours for help when he couldn't get it started - but now I think it was because he knew they wouldn't give a damn about him?