Students’ board game tackles teen pregnancy

webfact

Students’ board game tackles teen pregnancy

By The Nation

7c19c697f59b072a320b8dabdea3629c-sld.jpe

Board Game "Fortune Condom "

ALARMED by numerous social-media posts singing the praises of teenagers getting pregnant prematurely, five schoolgirls spent two years developing a board game called Fortune Condom.

“We wanted to deter teen pregnancies by clarifying the difficulties that arise when you get pregnant before you’re really ready,” said Pakawadee Panil, one of the game inventors. 

She and her friends won the HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Cup in the Thammasat-Banpu Innovative Learning Programme, in which secondary students compete at conceiving board games aimed at helping society. 

Pakawadee’s team won the Empathic Communication Award, which comes with a Bt20,000 cash prize.

A student at St Mary’s School in Udon Thani province, Pakawadee said getting pregnant before you’re prepared is unwise. 

“It will have an impact on the young mother, her family and the community,” she said. 

Designed for players ages 12 to 18, Fortune Condom presents situations that young people may encounter if the girl gets pregnant. Playing cards might offer contraception or counselling. Choosing the “right card” boosts life-experience points, but the “wrong card” leaves the player pregnant and facing various challenges. 

“Talking about sex can be difficult, but this game makes it easier to discuss,” Pakawadee said. Many of her fellow students had found the game useful.

Jutti Jantana, a teacher at St Mary’s School and adviser to Pakawadee’s team, said the students started developing the game in August 2017. 

“I must admit it was quite difficult to discuss sex openly with the girls,” he said. 

“In fact there were some words I didn’t want to use at all at first, but I had to because the team needed information to create a game that would be useful.”

Jutti said he now uses Fortune Condom in his sex-ed classes and has noticed that other students are feeling inspired to develop their own games. “I really hope this game reaches a wider audience so that more people get educated about the risks and impacts of teen pregnancy,” he said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30367329

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-04-08
Edited by webfact
  • Haha 1

here use this magic glue that sticks your legs together

thai parents prefer to tell nothing at all about sex to their children, because it might induce them to try...  talking about it might push them to .... kind of stupid mentality

add to this, little boys learn quickly  that when a girl gets pregnant ->  oh no, this is not mine, bye .....

Edited by justin case

Do people still play board games? I used to use them when teaching English in a Bangkok primary school, but got the impression that most of the kids were not really familiar with the concept.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

She and her friends won the HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Cup in the Thammasat-Banpu Innovative Learning Programme, in which secondary students compete at conceiving board games aimed at helping society. 

Conceiving board game?

I thought this was the exact opposite!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

Waiting for a university to claim they've discovered the cause of pregnancy

If they do find the cause, I'm sure there will be the usual committee to look at the matter 'in depth', with no doubt plenty of volunteers - all in the interests of scientific research, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wonder if it has,  a get out of problem free card ? bit like monopoly, get out of jail free card.

You turn it over,  and it says.

Dump new born baby on grandparents.

Get on with life.

Come back and check on pension fund,  when matured. :giggle:

Reckon the whole concept won't work,  as they cant find where to insert the batteries in the board game.  TIT. :coffee1:

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

I must admit it was quite difficult to discuss sex openly with the girls,” he said. 

Just go down Soi/6 .. Judging by what some of the sweeties come out with they are well acquainted with the subject .. Some will even talk dirty .. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Instead of monopoly, perhaps a 'ball game' - snooker perhaps?

Then there could be the choice of whether to go for the pink or the brown. The 'top pocket' might be an interesting option.

But will touching balls require a safety shot .?

• Haha 2