U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Nielsen leaving her position

webfact

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Nielsen leaving her position

2019-04-07T232413Z_2_LYNXNPEF360PL_RTROPTP_4_USA-HOMELAND-NIELSEN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen visits the DHS Election Operations Center and National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center (NCCIC) in Arlington, Virginia, U.S. November 6, 2018. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen is leaving her position, President Donald Trump said in a tweet on Sunday, as the administration pursues an overhaul of the department responsible for immigration policy.

Her departure was first reported by CBS News, which said it was unclear whether Nielsen's departure would be voluntary.

In another tweet, Trump said Kevin McAleenan, the current U.S. Customs and Border Protection commissioner, would become acting DHS secretary.

Nielsen, 46, has held the position since December 2017. As it includes immigration and customs enforcement, her department is responsible for carrying out some of Trump's most contentious policies as he has sought to cut back on the number of Mexicans and Central Americans entering the United States without proper documentation.

Repeatedly subjected to tough questioning by Democrats in Congress, Nielsen has overseen Trump plans such as his effort to build a wall on the border with Mexico and the separation of migrant children from their families.

Trump insists that the arrival of immigrants across the southern U.S. border constitutes a national emergency.

He recently threatened to close the border, or parts of it, if Congress did not change U.S. laws to fix what he called immigration "loopholes."

(Reporting by Diane Bartz and Patricia Zengerle; Editing by Peter Cooney and Sonya Hepinstall)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-08
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Nielsen is reportedly not being very complimentary in her comments towards Trump.

Oh well, there goes her spot in the 2020 campaign

I wonder how much blow back this headline cause over the weekend:

US Wants 2 Years to ID Migrant Kids Separated from Families

The Trump administration wants up to two years to find potentially thousands of children who were separated from their families at the border before a judge halted the practice

source:https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/04/06/us-wants-2-years-to-id-migrant-kids-separated-from-families/

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal.
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

He'll now appoint one of his "friends" to the position and state "he's a good man/woman. He/she is a friend of mine and a real hard worker, real hard".

Donald, who gives a flying frig if a friend of yours? All that means is one more step closer to an autocracy by appointing your friends to positions that they have not earned on merit. They're only a friend until you make an enemy out of them. And you will!

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I'd still like to see some order to the people coming into America.

I agree the laws need to be changed that will require leadership and compermise something Donald is unable to do that’s to hard for him it requires work and thought Donald is much to lazy for that 

Her name will live in infamy. So many young lives ruined.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

He’s a Scumbag, nobody can work with that Klown, his disciples are Pathetic and part of the problem, The Denial is troubling 

Another one bites the dust.

Sorry to Queen.

Just as an aside, has any administration ever fired/removed so many people in such a small time period?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tug said:

I agree the laws need to be changed that will require leadership and compermise something Donald is unable to do that’s to hard for him it requires work and thought Donald is much to lazy for that 

I'm not blaming POTUS, after all none before Donald attempted to seriously fix the border situation, just kicked it down the road for whatever reason.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

I'm not blaming POTUS, after all none before Donald attempted to seriously fix the border situation, just kicked it down the road for whatever reason.

Nonsense.. In 2006 and 2013 the House Republican leadership refused to consider bipartisan immigration bills passed by the Senate.

https://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2018/jan/26/ronald-brownstein/did-senators-pass-immigration-reform-bills-2006-20/

On 4/8/2019 at 12:05 PM, Prissana Pescud said:

has any administration ever fired/removed so many people in such a small time period?

A certain news personality was keeping a board listing the fallen.  They had to give up on it because the growing number of entries made it impractical for television.

I'll always remember her for claiming to not know Norway is a predominantly white country; this is from someone who spells her name Kirstjen.  Either she was dodging or she actually is stupid on par with Sarah Palin.

Or maybe she just confused it with Nigeria, common mistake.

:tongue:

Edited by bendejo

15 hours ago, bendejo said:

A certain news personality was keeping a board listing the fallen.  They had to give up on it because the growing number of entries made it impractical for television.

I'll always remember her for claiming to not know Norway is a predominantly white country; this is from someone who spells her name Kirstjen.  Either she was dodging or she actually is stupid on par with Sarah Palin.

Or maybe she just confused it with Nigeria, common mistake.

:tongue:

Just one thing please. There are just as many male silly news reporters as female ones.

And stupid politicians that happen to be male.

Stupidity and ignorance is not a gender issue.

Most of your posts are intelligent even when I disagree.

this post is a bit female hate oriented and I ask you to moderate please.

On 4/8/2019 at 8:22 AM, Tug said:

How do you "compromise" with a side whose position is that they want no order and they want no limits? It is a complete waste of time. Why Trump hired this Deep State lackey to run DHS in the first place is difficult to comprehend, but this firing was long overdue. Now get somebody in there to secure the border and end this invasion. Kobach is the obvious choice, but also be ok with naming Kobach Immigration Czar and having somebody proven and loyal like Tom Homan appointed to DHS. Glad Trump finally woke up to the problem though. He may just have saved his Presidency.