Credit Card Payments - Passport Also Required

Hi everyone,

I've not had this happen to me personally until this morning, but I wonder whether anyone else has seen this or had it happen to them?

For background information I am a UK expat with WP and two Thai-issued credit cards. This morning I was in Central Rama 3 and noticed that one of the electronics shops had a sign about payments via credit card. It was in English and Thai, and went something along the lines of 'Due to increased credit card fraud it is now a requirement of our bank that all credit card payments must be accompanied by a photocopy of the users passport or ID card'. This wasn't one of the small units - I cannot remember the name but it's one that has a number of branches. In the end I did not decide to purchase from this shop but if I had wanted to they would have insisted on a copy of my passport, even though I have a Thai-issued credit card.

Has anyone else come across this? I've used my cards elsewhere with no problems. I wonder if this will only apply to 'high-risk' transactions or with specific outlets?

Andy.

Well, it's not really surprising.

E-commerce websites started to do that long time ago.

I mean : the good model (european) is the credit card with a chip, linked to a code to type.

The US model, with just a magnetic strip is totally unsecure.

The only way to a have more control, is to ask indeed the ID paper, to compare the names.

I should add : since a few month, department store Central at Lad Prao for instance have new payment terminals, on which you need to type your code (if you have a credit card with a chip).

I've not had this happen to me personally until this morning, but I wonder whether anyone else has seen this or had it happen to them?

For background information I am a UK expat with WP and two Thai-issued credit cards. This morning I was in Central Rama 3 and noticed that one of the electronics shops had a sign about payments via credit card. It was in English and Thai, and went something along the lines of 'Due to increased credit card fraud it is now a requirement of our bank that all credit card payments must be accompanied by a photocopy of the users passport or ID card'. This wasn't one of the small units - I cannot remember the name but it's one that has a number of branches. In the end I did not decide to purchase from this shop but if I had wanted to they would have insisted on a copy of my passport, even though I have a Thai-issued credit card.

Has anyone else come across this? I've used my cards elsewhere with no problems. I wonder if this will only apply to 'high-risk' transactions or with specific outlets?