keto in Chiang Mai

1FinickyOne

57 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

I'll bet he doesn't lack knowledge of the keto diet, rather this is a rather clumsy attempt at

plugging a business....hmmmmm?

BTW, I have it on good authority that Barry and Yingie use this service and recommend it.

BarryAndYingluck.jpg.ccddfe195407dfb97ef5d6d2639847ba.jpg.0a713f217b079a1f04398c9ab1d87ec9.jpg

Actually, I do not know much more than the basics of Keto and have never been to the business mentioned, so, no review... I hope to go there tomorrow and actually am seeking out other sources in addition... so, hopefully I will get some serious responses as I really need to lose some weight and get into a healthier way of eating... and the more choices of places to eat, it will be helpful... so, please mention other places with good food that will help with the diet.

I find it very hard to stick to my diet once I leave home. I'd be interested in where to buy a good selection of well priced grass-fed meats, specially beef, chicken, lamb. Macro has them on occasion, but not always.

The KETOgenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

48 minutes ago, jij said:

I find it very hard to stick to my diet once I leave home.

Yeah, tell me about it... problem is I left "home" 20 years ago... actually this is home now and I cook at home, so, no more excuses... I am doing it for weight loss... 

you might want to check Sarah Hallberg on youtube... 

Just now, kenk24 said:

Yeah, tell me about it... problem is I left "home" 20 years ago... actually this is home now and I cook at home, so, no more excuses... I am doing it for weight loss... 

you might want to check Sarah Hallberg on youtube... 

Good link.

I haven't adopted a keto diet yet, although I do steer towards low-carb.

The motivation has to be there to eat less/better and exercise more. Keto helps many people to achieve that - other methods work for other people. Sticking to whatever plan you choose is the secret to success.

A friend adopted keto 15 months ago and has dropped from 118 kilos to 78 kilos with a target of 70 kilos. He has reversed type-2 diabetes, his cholesterol is good and he no longer needs medication for hypertension.

33 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Good link.

The motivation has to be there to eat less/better and exercise more. Keto helps many people to achieve that - other methods work for other people. Sticking to whatever plan you choose is the secret to success.

A friend adopted keto 15 months ago and has dropped from 118 kilos to 78 kilos with a target of 70 kilos. He has reversed type-2 diabetes, his cholesterol is good and he no longer needs medication for hypertension.

Thanks 99 great post - - Where does he buy his food? If in Thailand? I think I am going to need some baked goods if I am going to make it... 

14 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Thanks 99 great post - - Where does he buy his food? If in Thailand? I think I am going to need some baked goods if I am going to make it... 

49 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Good link.

Been on Keto for 2 years and found the best way in Thailand is to do all your own cooking. I am in the same position as Jipp99's friend and will never go back to being obese.

I get 'supplies' from paleorobbie.com, passiondelivery.com and ideas for recipes from youtube - if you like Indian food check out Headbangers Kitchen youtube channel. Good luck  not sure what you mean by 'baked goods' though.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

Been on Keto for 2 years and found the best way in Thailand is to do all your own cooking. I am in the same position as Jipp99's friend and will never go back to being obese.

I get 'supplies' from paleorobbie.com, passiondelivery.com and ideas for recipes from youtube - if you like Indian food check out Headbangers Kitchen youtube channel. Good luck  not sure what you mean by 'baked goods' though.

Thanks for the encouragement...  I think somewhere I have seen things like using coconut flour or somethings like that which would fit with the diet... I assume all above recommendations are online services... now, I just need to find someone who enjoys cooking!!

54 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Thanks for the encouragement...  I think somewhere I have seen things like using coconut flour or somethings like that which would fit with the diet... I assume all above recommendations are online services... now, I just need to find someone who enjoys cooking!!

Yes online - I live in the sticks near Sangkhlaburi and mail order or a monthly run to BigC or Makro in Kanchanaburi City 3 hours away is the only way I can do real keto. Where I live many basics are just not available such as cheese, olive oil, ghee etc. With meat I have a choice of pork or chicken and no point in looking for bacon either ???? . My main problem was finding someone who could/would deliver up country with the food arriving still frozen or at least chilled.

Actually your last point resonates too as after 5 years eating like a pig in the hundreds of restaurants in Siem Reap, I now really enjoy cooking. Being retired I actually like sourcing ingredients and eventually trying a new keto recipe. If I say so myself, I really enjoy what I make (and it's a great excuse not to eat the wife multi-chilli explosive food.

For me the best thing about keto is once you get going you are not hungry, can eat 2 meals a day, incorporate intermittent fasting, and generally not miss the carbs. Missing sugar however is a bigger challenge for me but fortunately I have still to find decent chocolate in Thailand!

By the way I didn't like using coconut flour its not easy to cook with (very dry and absorbent), but almond flour is a better choice. 

5 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yes online - I live in the sticks near Sangkhlaburi and mail order or a monthly run to BigC or Makro in Kanchanaburi City 3 hours away is the only way I can do real keto. Where I live many basics are just not available such as cheese, olive oil, ghee etc. With meat I have a choice of pork or chicken and no point in looking for bacon either ???? . My main problem was finding someone who could/would deliver up country with the food arriving still frozen or at least chilled.

Actually your last point resonates too as after 5 years eating like a pig in the hundreds of restaurants in Siem Reap, I now really enjoy cooking. Being retired I actually like sourcing ingredients and eventually trying a new keto recipe. If I say so myself, I really enjoy what I make (and it's a great excuse not to eat the wife multi-chilli explosive food.

For me the best thing about keto is once you get going you are not hungry, can eat 2 meals a day, incorporate intermittent fasting, and generally not miss the carbs. Missing sugar however is a bigger challenge for me but fortunately I have still to find decent chocolate in Thailand!

By the way I didn't like using coconut flour its not easy to cook with (very dry and absorbent), but almond flour is a better choice. 

Just remembered www.healthfoodthailand.com is another good one but I can't personally vouch for them as I haven't used them yet.

For food and health tips the best sites are dietdoctor.com and diabetes.co.uk forum

6 hours ago, jij said:

I find it very hard to stick to my diet once I leave home. I'd be interested in where to buy a good selection of well priced grass-fed meats, specially beef, chicken, lamb. Macro has them on occasion, but not always.

The KETOgenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet that in medicine is used primarily to treat difficult-to-control epilepsy in children. The diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

There is current research showing keto may be effective in treating Alzheimer’s. dementia, and other cognitive issues. 
https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/dale-bredesen

5 hours ago, Saltire said:

passiondelivery delivers frozen to outside Bangkok. They did advertise this service. I have no experience as I live in Bkk. Contact them.

16 hours ago, Letseng said:

passiondelivery delivers frozen to outside Bangkok. They did advertise this service. I have no experience as I live in Bkk. Contact them.

As my post says I have used passion delivery many times and yes everything arrives frozen. As does paleo robbie.

Archived