Retirement visa

A visa cannot be changed without getting a new one from a embassy or consulate.

You can change the reason for an extension of stay issued by immigration from marriage to retirement near the end of the existing extension.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

A visa cannot be changed without getting a new one from a embassy or consulate.

You can change the reason for an extension of stay issued by immigration from marriage to retirement near the end of the existing extension.

I tried that today, I have a Non Imm O visa based on marriage from February this year , was stamped in for 3 months.... Went to immigration to extend as retirement, they told me it cannot be changed, thus i have to leave the country again.....

1 minute ago, bootly66 said:

I tried that today, I have a Non Imm O visa based on marriage from February this year , was stamped in for 3 months.... Went to immigration to extend as retirement, they told me it cannot be changed, thus i have to leave the country again.....

How do they know it was issued based upon marriage? Is it stated on the visa?

It should not matter what reason it was issued for since it is a non immigrant visa and that is all that is required to apply for the extension. Many people have done it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bootly66 said:

You are asking about applying for an extension of stay, not changing your entry visa.

As long as you entered with a Non-immigrant ‘O’ visa — and regardless of the reason it was issued — you can apply to extend the 90 day stay by 1 year based on being the spouse of a Thai OR retirement. 

You don’t need to leave and get something (‘O’ visa) you’ve already got.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

You are asking about applying for an extension of stay, not changing your entry visa.

As long as you entered with a Non-immigrant ‘O’ visa — and regardless of the reason it was issued — you can apply to extend the 90 day stay by 1 year based on being the spouse of a Thai OR retirement. 

That's what i thought , but they said cannot....

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

How do they know it was issued based upon marriage? Is it stated on the visa?

It should not matter what reason it was issued for since it is a non immigrant visa and that is all that is required to apply for the extension. Many people have done it.

Yes, it is written in pen above the visa, "marriage" (obviously in Thai..)

16 hours ago, bootly66 said:

Which office?

This is incorrect. You have an Non-Imm O Visa and a permission to stay of 90 days based upon it. I presume you have not done any extension so far. This is the standard 'stepping stone' to obtaining a 1 year extension based on retirement presuming you qualify based on age, seasoned funds in the bank or income. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Which office?

This is incorrect. You have an Non-Imm O Visa and a permission to stay of 90 days based upon it. I presume you have not done any extension so far. This is the standard 'stepping stone' to obtaining a 1 year extension based on retirement presuming you qualify based on age, seasoned funds in the bank or income. 

Nonthaburi, I meet all the requirements but  the o visa i got in Laos has written above the visa for marriage so the immigration officer said it cannot be extended for retirement purpose... I am so confused

30 minutes ago, bootly66 said:

Nonthaburi,

That explains a lot. They can be very difficult to deal with and often come up with their own rules.

Which embassy or consulate wrote marriage about you visa sticker?

Did you go in with all the financial proof for retirement or did you in to just ask them about?

Go back and ask them what their requirements are for marriage and see what they say. They might change their minds if they think you are serious applying based upon marriage.

34 minutes ago, bootly66 said:

the o visa i got in Laos

I suspect he got his non-o in Savannakhet where you can get a non-o based on marriage without financial proof. A non-o based on retirement does require financial proof so its likely 'marriage' is written on the visa to distinguish between the two. 

37 minutes ago, bootly66 said:

Nonthaburi, I meet all the requirements but  the o visa i got in Laos has written above the visa for marriage so the immigration officer said it cannot be extended for retirement purpose... I am so confused

I too suggest you look into the marriage ext option. They either don't want to go through the hassle and you get the retirement option, or you get it and change it next application. 

3 minutes ago, sumrit said:

I suspect he got his non-o in Savannakhet where you can get a non-o based on marriage without financial proof. A non-o based on retirement does require financial proof so its likely 'marriage' is written on the visa to distinguish between the two. 

It was got in Vientienne, but i thought regardless off issue reason, extension could be for other reasons.. eg; the visa was issued for marriage reason but to extend for the year i could me made on retirement grounds

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I too suggest you look into the marriage ext option. They either don't want to go through the hassle and you get the retirement option, or you get it and change it next application. 

problem is i no longer live with my wife, 

8 minutes ago, sumrit said:

It makes no difference as to what it is based upon when issued. It is still a non immigrant visa and that is all that required to apply for the extension.

3 minutes ago, bootly66 said:

problem is i no longer live with my wife, 

Ooops.....

If Nonthaburi, cannot be changed it may well have to be a future border run, and converting a Visa waiver into a Non-Imm-O entry etc. 

Edited by jacko45k

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It makes no difference as to what it is based upon when issued. It is still a non immigrant visa and that is all that required to apply for the extension.

I agree with you. But there is an anomaly over financial proof with the two non-o visas at Savannakhet. I was just suggesting a possible reason as to why the IO in Nonthaburi might (wrongly?) reject the extension.

problem is i no longer live with my wife

Supplying documents to make it easier/more convenient to get a non-o based on marriage might just be one of the things Immigration are tightening up on. No idea, just an observation.

Edited by sumrit

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Just back from immigration again.... point blank refusal, have to leave to get another non imm

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, bootly66 said:

Just back from immigration again.... point blank refusal, have to leave to get another non imm

Clearly the fact the consular staff wrote “marriage” on the visa is the issue. I have heard of this happening, but it’s rare.

They could argue that you’re not using the visa for the purpose it was issued as you’re no longer with your wife. I wouldn’t push it if I were you as your current permit to stay could be revoked.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bootly66 said:

That office is known to be horrible, and has no legal justification for this action. 

You will have to balance the cost-difference between another Non-O Visa run (this time based on "retirement"), or paying an agent to make the problem "go away" - which is clearly what they are after. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 5:40 PM, elviajero said:

This is the confusion that arises when people are encouraged to think of their extension of stay as a visa. I may have mentioned it in the past.