BREAKING: Prime Minister used Article 44 powers to sack and rein in Big Joke

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Jim7777 said:

Uhhm the 400K Baht is one of the options for marriage visa extensions but that wasn’t his rule that’s been a rule for several years before he was ever the Immigration Chief he had absolutely nothing to do with that.  All that happened under his tenure was that they did away with income affidavits and changed the procedures of HOW you actually verify your income or 400K or 800K in a Thai bank account.  The actual rules didn’t really change that much and the monthly income requirement or the 400K or 800K income rules didn’t change at all as far as the minimum monthly income requirement or money in the bank.  

The biggest change was the procedures for verifying the 800K option for retirement visa extensions.  Bottom line the actual financial requirements never actually changed under the previous Immigration Chief and they have always been the same for several years before he took over he didn’t make that rule as you say.  All they did was actually start making us prove our income or money saved in a Thai bank account for real instead of using an Embassy letter.  And “pigs” really, have a little more respect for Law Enforcement then that.  And understand that this isn’t your home country.  

They did not get rid of the income affidavit at all, only 4 embassies chose to stop issuing them.

All other embassies still issue them as usual, after they've seen your pension letters or other proof of income. And IM still accepts them for extension as usual.

Only those from those 4 embassies were left out in the cold to fend for themselves, so TH IM had to give them this monthly transfer option to help expats from these 4 embassies. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 5:58 AM, snoop1130 said:

It is not known exactly what the former head of immigration is under investigation for.

Easy, he is under investigation for whatever they can make up to prevent him from tearing apart the system built on corruption and eventually rocking the trough the current power holders are positioned at.

10 hours ago, car720 said:

my past experience tells me that this is a case of jealousy.  Someone doesn't like the attention he is getting.  Very, very jealous people the Thais.

Or they feel threatened that he may impact their envelope flow.

• Haha 1

A few days ago, I spent 6 hours at immigration in the province, attempting to comply with Thai immigration law.

Then an Immigration lawyer from Bangkok interviewed myself and neighbours for 5 hours at our home. (out in the boonies)

He took photos of our bedroom, kitchen, living room and front of house.

Now Immigration must have at least 5000 pages of basically the same information over about 5 years stored in a really huge folder.

Because every thing needs multiple photo copies.

This man is my friend of mine. I almost respect him

Because he treated every farang from every country with equal contempt.

I will miss him. 

Because every hour of questions and paper work harassment at immigration,

was met with a real apology manner and sympathy from the workers in Immigration.

And unlike this known anti farang man, who will the next monster be?

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

A few days ago, I spent 6 hours at immigration in the province, attempting to comply with Thai immigration law.

Then an Immigration lawyer from Bangkok interviewed myself and neighbours for 5 hours at our home. (out in the boonies)

He took photos of our bedroom, kitchen, living room and front of house.

Now Immigration must have at least 5000 pages of basically the same information over about 5 years stored in a really huge folder.

Because every thing needs multiple photo copies.

This man is my friend of mine. I almost respect him

Because he treated every farang from every country with equal contempt.

I will miss him. 

Because every hour of questions and paper work harassment at immigration,

was met with a real apology manner and sympathy from the workers in Immigration.

Gosh bedroom pics again.

for me it come across as very very nosy and really none of their business.

So now the whole immigration office staff all seen the fitout of ur bedroom.

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Gosh bedroom pics again.

So now the whole immigration office staff all seen the fitout of ur bedroom.

Yes this is what you must do to comply. If you have not had to do it, you do not understand

what it is like to try to comply. It may pay off for me, already some officials suggest that I am cowered enough to get a short time tolerance of me to live here.

I understand what it is like to be Thai. Cowered is a good word

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Perhaps it is 'time' for Prawit to 'watch' over the immigration department

Maybe a better time for Prawit to dial down the new immigration rules rather than watching them unwind second hand and lose face.

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Gosh bedroom pics again.

So now the whole immigration office staff all seen the fitout of our bedroom.

What has all that to do with Big Joke ? Nothing.

It's more than 1 year that some Immigration Offices ask for bedroom pictures,

but only 6 month that Big Joke was head of Immigration...

2 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

How was he "anti-farang" ?

All immigration rules/laws apply the same way to all:

Farang, Russian, Asian, African, etc.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

I have a dossier of the more than 5,000 pages of often repeated photocopies of every detail about my life for immigration.

Imposed by "Big Joke" and his cronies.

I comply with Mr Big Joke law. I respect one thing about him.

He is xenophobic about all races, not just me.

21 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

Some poster complainted about some immegration officer who came 5 hours to his home and even had to make pics of his bedroom.

i agreed that with him and find this a very intruding practice.

It doesn’t relate to BJ it relates to procedures that are unpleasant.

49 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Some poster complainted about some immegration officer who came 5 hours to his home and even had to make pics of his bedroom.

i agreed that with him and find this a very intruding practice.

It doesn’t relate to BJ it relates to procedures that are unpleasant.

I do not want to upset you.

But can you understand how a senior immigration law person, questioned me. Questioned my neighbours. (for 5 hours)

Took photos of my wife and I sitting on our bed in our room. Took photos of me in the family room.

Took photos of me in front of our house.

Opened up a freezer to look in, opened up the fridge. Refused a hand shake when he left. You work it out.

1 hour ago, Prissana Pescud said:

But can you understand how a senior immigration law person, questioned me. Questioned my neighbours. (for 5 hours)

Took photos of my wife and I sitting on our bed in our room. Took photos of me in the family room.

Opened up a freezer to look in, opened up the fridge. Refused a hand shake when he left. You work it out.

Yes everything u telling its bizarre and very rude and annoying and unacceptable if that happens to me.

The only thing I understand is he wasn’t giving a handshake u should have done the Wai????????..

4 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Just so I understand this?

You said that an immigration officer, questioned your neighbours for five hours?

Is that correct?

Do you know what 'poetic license' means?

i dont like the guy but its criminal to sack him like this .

he is a protector of the law and remove him without a lawful reason is criminal .

44 is not legal and does not need information i dont undrstand the thais when it comes to this.

mr 44 can not do much if they just ignore him and dont do as he say

the most do not like him i think

he does not have an army 

only old f..ls around him the young in the army dont come from his friends.

if the majority in the police and army dont follow him he lost .

but maybe the thais fight to much within themselves to stand together and get some justice .

this guy they can remove wthout to much problem if they plan it probably he is not strong.

a strong lawful pm dont need 44, for what is that useful, nothing 

but what we can learn ones again is mr 44 does not care about right or wrong only him whatever it takes

54 minutes ago, martinhp said:

i dont like the guy but its criminal to sack him like this .

he is a protector of the law and remove him without a lawful reason is criminal .

Thailand is a bit special when it comes to law application. That's why it's difficult for some Westerners to understand it, especially when they haven't grown up in a heavily corrupt and elitist environment.

What I do find funny though, are the comments coming from some people, that say they "respect the law", and preach we should do the same, where tomorrow they can become criminals if that's what is decided at top levels.

(particularly (but not limited to) Immigration related things, where it's all quite inconsistent).

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Prissana Pescud said:

Just be thankful he did not want pictures of you and your wife making love on the bed,and then went to the fridge and made himself a sandwich to eat while he took them.????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/9/2019 at 5:01 PM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Surachate is among the state officials who have been moved to other jobs because they are undergoing investigation or have problems regarding personnel.

I have long suspected that his tenure would be short after his no tips policy went into effect.  I sincerely doubt that Thai immigration officials can survive financially without the "tips"

On 4/9/2019 at 5:30 PM, darksidedog said:

My neighbour who works at immigration said that he was widely disliked by the immigration staff for trying to force unworkable policies on them.

As far as the investigation is concerned, there are many many possibilities, and I suspect Big Jokes days may well be numbered.

Just did my 90 day reporting and I've never seen the place so relaxed and laid back.  The official actually smiled at me!  

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2019 at 9:38 AM, mlmcleod said:

I have long suspected that his tenure would be short after his no tips policy went into effect.  I sincerely doubt that Thai immigration officials can survive financially without the "tips"

They get paid a pathetic wage. And must pay for a lot of their everyday work expenses.

A recent trip to a provincial immigration office went smoothly.

The lady even did some photocopies for free.

Then asked for some fruit. I then noticed a small table at the back that had some bags of fruit on it.

And my contribution, 1 kg of oranges went there with a lot of thanks being expressed.

And it does not worry me at all

On 4/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, Individual One said:

Just did my 90 day reporting and I've never seen the place so relaxed and laid back.  The official actually smiled at me!  

Must be the thought of the trough opening up again, always brings up a big smile on their faces.

• Haha 1

On 4/11/2019 at 5:25 AM, faraday said:

Just so I understand this?

You said that an immigration officer, questioned your neighbours for five hours?

Is that correct?

Do you know what 'poetic license' means?

The immigration officer was at my place from 9am until just before 2pm.

In that time 2 neighbours were also at the table. They were not in the bed and living rooms obviously.

So you attempt to ridicule which is a standard response from you.