Newbie question Water

whatevs

Hi all,

I've not arrived or secured accommodation yet but as I understand it I need to buy water.  I've read on here that there are several options -white slimey bottles or blue opaque bottles and they taste differently and vary in price.  My questions are:-

• Do you cook with the water that comes out of the tap or use the purchased water?
  • Will Tesco deliver these big blue bottles? Someone mentioned it here years ago but I can't see them on Tesco Lotus online.
  • Where else can I buy the big blue ones? (I will probably live in the Kathu area)
  • Where do I get some sort of water dispenser system?  i.e something as simple as a wire device that 'tips' the bottle?

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked and dealt with.

I cook with tap water.

Tesco does not deliver the big water bottles, there are delivered door to door by a different company for every area. You'll have to check locally. Also sold by some local shops.

Dispensers (tipping bottles) are sold in many places. Tesco etc. will have cooling and dispenser combined.

Ok i've found S.P.A drinking water company but rather irritatingly they don't have prices on their site.  I'll drop them an email.  I should probably google more effectively before posting.

Thanks Muffy and Stevenl for the tipping bottle info

10 minutes ago, whatevs said:

Ok i've found S.P.A drinking water company but rather irritatingly they don't have prices on their site.  I'll drop them an email.  I should probably google more effectively before posting.

Thanks Muffy and Stevenl for the tipping bottle info

Just arrange the water when you're here, you're talking 10 Baht a bottle or so.

As stevenl suggested above, just make arrangements once you're here.

Each area is serviced by pickup trucks loaded with the large, white bottles every few days. In some areas, you just leave your empty bottle outside with the coins for a new bottle (10-15 baht), and they'll take your empty and leave a full replacement. Note that these pickups are so loaded down, that they can't go up some hills, so they tend to service just the flat areas. In any event, many small mom & pop shops will stock a number of these bottles each day, charging a small premium 1-3 baht. To get started, you'll need to purchase an empty bottle for around 100 baht.

You haven't arrived yet, and your biggest concern is a drink of water!

Worry about visas, money, accommodation, transport and the local women, water isn't a problem. To tide you over until you can organize something long term, buy purified water in plastic bottles at any corner store or supermarket. They come in all shapes and sizes and are very cheap compared to where you come from.

h2o.jpg

If your accommodation has scheme water, well water, or water delivered in bulk to a tank, only use it for toilets, showers and garden, not for consumption. 

When organized in your new home, arrange for the large 19 liter bottles to be delivered to your place. The white ones cost something like 10-12 baht for a refill, we only use it for cooking. Some do drink it.

The clear, blue bottles have safe, purified drinking water and cost 45-50 baht for refills. Different companies will deliver depending on which area you settle in.

water.jpg

We have a cold water dispenser, bought from Homepro, for a couple of thousand baht. You could get other aids to dispense it from the bottle, or, If you can manage it, you could just pour it into a jug for the fridge. They weigh about 21 kg.

On 4/12/2019 at 6:58 PM, Old Croc said:

You haven't arrived yet, and your biggest concern is a drink of water!

Worry about visas, money, accommodation, transport and the local women, water isn't a problem.

Haha, not really.  I have small children and I am the main organizer so I move from country to country with military precision to minimize stress for the family. So small things like knowing where to buy big water bottles with ease  or knowing the exact pronouncation of Tesco Lotus so I can jump in a taxi on the first day and not end up in some random place is part of it.   Visas, money accomodation etc is bigger picture stuff and already clear in my head.  It's the small shit which adds stress during transition.   Were I alone I'd be chill.  With kids it adds an extra layer.

I really appreciate your detailed response, very kind of you

Archived