EU leaders agree Brexit delay until October: diplomats

webfact

EU leaders agree Brexit delay until October: diplomats

2019-04-10T231322Z_1_LYNXNPEF392DI_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-SUMMIT.JPG

French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel talk to the media as they arrive at an extraordinary European Union leaders summit to discuss Brexit, in Brussels, Belgium April 10, 2019. REUTERS/Yves Herman

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - EU leaders agreed on Thursday to delay Brexit until the end of October, with a review in June, diplomatic sources told Reuters.

The 27 EU leaders agreed their joint stance during talks in Brussels and their chairman, Donald Tusk, has now taken it to the British Prime Minister Theresa May for her approval.

(Reporting by Gabriela Baczynska; editing by Philip Blenkinsop)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-11

EU offers PM May Brexit pause to October 31

By Gabriela Baczynska, Elizabeth Piper and Alastair Macdonald

2019-04-10T175601Z_2_LYNXNPEF391L6_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-SUMMIT.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May speaks to the media as she arrives at an extraordinary European Union leaders summit to discuss Brexit, in Brussels, Belgium April 10, 2019. REUTERS/Yves Herman

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European Union leaders agreed to grant British Prime Minister Theresa May a new Brexit deadline of Oct. 31, officials said, after French President Emmanuel Macron opposed efforts to give her another year.

"A Brexit extension until 31 October is sensible since it gives time to UK to finally choose its way," Maltese Prime Minister Joseph Muscat tweeted, adding that a summit in June would let EU leaders "take stock of the situation".

Summit chair Donald Tusk he went to brief May on the outcome and seek her necessary agreement to a final deal.

The late-night agreement means Britain will not crash out of the bloc on Friday and gives May more than the three months she had asked for to build a parliamentary majority behind the withdrawal treaty she negotiated with the EU last year.

But Macron's push for a June Brexit and strong opposition to other leaders' preference for a much longer extension that might increase the chances of Britain changing its mind to stay in the bloc meant the meeting ended up with the October compromise.

Oct. 31 would correspond to the end of the five-year mandate of the present EU executive Commission.

Leaders would meet again in June to assess the situation. Britain could have left by then if May succeeds in building a coalition for her deal with the Labour opposition -- though there is no sign of agreement yet.

In order to continue as an EU member beyond June 1, May has agreed to organise British elections to the European Parliament on May 23, though it is still unclear if that vote will go ahead and how far it might turn into a virtual second referendum on EU membership that some hope could mean Britain cancelling Brexit.

The other 27 had all but ruled out pitching Britain, and parts of the EU economy, into chaos on Friday. But a drive by Macron to keep London on a tight leash saw the emergency summit bogged down in late-night wrangling as German Chancellor Angela Merkel and others argued the merits of granting up to a year.

As at a summit last month which put back Brexit for two weeks, several EU diplomats said May failed to persuade her peers that she could definitely break the paralysis of repeated failures to ratify the treaty within the coming months.

French officials said the EU faced "blackmail" by hardline pro-Brexit potential successors to May, such as Boris Johnson. They might try to sabotage decision-making, they said.

An aide to Macron warned that France could even be ready to let Britain crash out without a treaty to avoid legal limbo and provide a transition to new trading terms: "Not everything is preferable to a no-deal. A no-deal situation is a real option."

LAUGHTER WITH MERKEL

However, Merkel has urged the bloc to do all it can to avoid such disruption. She said before leaving Berlin that she favoured a delay of "several months" for May, who has pledged to quit if hardcore Brexitsupporters in her own Conservative Party drop objections to her "soft Brexit" and help ratify the deal.

Keen to ease tension, Merkel had broken the ice as talks began by showing May a photomontage on a tablet of both wearing similar jackets when addressing their parliaments earlier in the day. It provoked mutual laughter as other leaders joined in.

As talks wore on beyond midnight, with May patiently waiting elsewhere in the building for word on her nation's fate, Macron rallied support for his concerns about a long extension.

May said on arrival that she did not want a long delay: "I want us to be able to leave the European Union in a smooth and orderly way as soon as possible," she told reporters.

Her EU peers, however, are sceptical about her ability to break the deadlock soon and discussed a proposal by Tusk of a "flextension" of up to a year. This, some argued, could increase pressure on May's pro-Brexit critics to back her deal rather than risk Brexit fizzling out.

EU leaders are exasperated with May's handling of a tortuous and costly divorce that is a distraction from ensuring the bloc can hold its own against global economic challenges.

Across from the summit venue, the EU executive celebrated its part in funding a global project that produced the first picture of a black hole, prompting no shortage of ironic comments on social media about the juxtaposition.

Blogger Eliot Higgins tweeted: "We're now more certain about what black holes look like than whatBrexit looks like."

(Reporting by Guy Faulconbridge in London, Thomas Escritt in Berlin and Gabriela Baczynska, Jan Strupczewski, Elizabeth Piper, Bart Meijer, Alissa de Carbonnel, Philip Blenkinsop, Robin Emmott, Alastair Macdonald, Francesco Guarascio, Clare Roth, Peter Maushagen, Jean-Baptiste Vey and Michel Rose in Brussels; Writing by Alastair Macdonald; Editing by James Dalgleish)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-04-11
  • Thanks 1

Oct 31st seems a sensible compromise between continually being on the "Cliff Edge" of No Deal and kicking the Brexit ball into the long grass never to be seen again.

P.S. That's the 1st time I've used or seen "Sensible" & "Brexit" in the same sentence 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

More kicking the can down the road. As I have said all along TM is there for the benefit of the EU and not the UK. I look forward to the EU elections. I am still hoping that there will be a GE and even the EU think so, after listening to Donald Tusk. They must be crapping themselves if a brexiteer gets in power and not a remainer like TM.

I have a feeling that she will get her crappy deal through, at some point. Then the fun would really start.

1 hour ago, Loiner said:

Six and a half months to resolve this situation is not going to cut it.
The Merkel/May surrender treaty will still not be passed, even with another planned sneaky attempt to get it through. Revocation of Article 50 won’t happen either. While May is still around, the EU won’t bend either.
Over the next six months there should be enough time to oust Theresa and replace her with someone who will get the job done. There’s also time for another GE to be forced. Would this be on a single issue and would Liebour run on a Remain manifesto? Both main parties are shown to be totally untrustworthy in this issue.
We could be forced into a second referendum and what happens when Leave No Deal wins again?
At lest we can see a massive result of UKIP and Brexit Party MEPs returned to the EU parliament for a while. That will be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry, but as I see it without a referendum we will still be kicking that same old tin can down the street this time next year   ...and for years after.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Poor Teresa...like her or not, she must be having more then a sleepless night these days.

Anyhow, EU politicians, a bunch of jealous rascals.

UK politicians weather pro or against Brexit, an equal bunch of rascals.

US politicians, equally a bunch of mad men.

Thai politicians, no better, all a bunch of clowns.

Israel politicians, no better, all a bunch of fanatics.

Russian politicians, all a bunch of gangsters.

Chinese politicians, just a bunch of crafty cheats and liars.

Arabs politicians equally never to be trusted.

In fact I don't trust any politician, no matter who or where. All a bunch of lying cheats plainly looking how to screw other nations to serve their own or their contributing lobbys interests.

Supposing you substituted the word "tourist" for "politician" -- would that list still read more or less the same?

Word is that when May retires is removed she will be given Andrew's title of Duke of York. 

She led the country to the brink of Brexit and she led them back again.

And when they were in they were in.

And when they were out they were out.

And when they were only half way in, they were neither in or out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

If we leave no deal we don't pay it,

That is wishful thinking of some. 

Ok, we do not have to pay it, maybe if they make a good case that we owe them some money we may do the honorable thing and pay our debts.

3 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Poor Teresa...like her or not, she must be having more then a sleepless night these days.

Anyhow, EU politicians, a bunch of jealous rascals.

UK politicians weather pro or against Brexit, an equal bunch of rascals.

US politicians, equally a bunch of mad men.

Thai politicians, no better, all a bunch of clowns.

Israel politicians, no better, all a bunch of fanatics.

Russian politicians, all a bunch of gangsters.

Chinese politicians, just a bunch of crafty cheats and liars.

Arabs politicians equally never to be trusted.

In fact I don't trust any politician, no matter who or where. All a bunch of lying cheats plainly looking how to screw other nations to serve their own or their contributing lobbys interests.

In general you are right. But that the mentality of the politicians will change significantly by a Brexit, you do not believe it yourself. Hyenas remain hyenas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

When you say ‘Elites’ are you referring to the tax shy Billionaires, Multimillionaires, hedge fund managers and assorted Old Etonians who bank rolled, funneled unaccounted foreign funds to Brexit and ran the Leave campaign?

Like George Soros?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

When you say ‘Elites’ are you referring to the tax shy Billionaires, Multimillionaires, hedge fund managers and assorted Old Etonians who bank rolled, funneled unaccounted foreign funds to Brexit and ran the Leave campaign?

Kind Regards Jacob, Boris, Aron-Nigel, Michael, Dominic, and Ben the Bus ????  

13 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

1. Legally, the obligation will not vanish when you don’t pay. That would be nice indeed; I could just sign up for gym contracts and subscriptions but wouldn’t have to pay. 

2. In practice, the EU already made clear that not signing the withdrawal agreement will just delay the payment of the 39bn to the next round of negotiations (the future relationships). 

So, at the end of the day, the whole fuss about not paying is theory and wishful thinking. 

I am only quoting what the TVF Brexiteers have been shouting, Yes, probably we would have to buy into a "future relationship" and I agree that if the payment is justified we should honour it.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

More kicking the can down the road. As I have said all along TM is there for the benefit of the EU and not the UK. I look forward to the EU elections. I am still hoping that there will be a GE and even the EU think so, after listening to Donald Tusk. They must be crapping themselves if a brexiteer gets in power and not a remainer like TM.

I have a feeling that she will get her crappy deal through, at some point. Then the fun would really start.

Forgive me for thinking out loud, but the way things are going we might be better if we;

a) Revoke article 50 (bear with me...)

b  ) Sort (route-and-branch) Parliament out (PR, Compulsory voting, Elected HoL)

c ) Trigger A50 as soon as the above has been completed (years!) followed by UDI the following Monday if the result remains the same.

I'm not entirely serious but this is a monumental clusterf... Our system is an utter disgrace ????

safe_image.php?d=AQCPcdCIFLim4VB5&w=540&h=282&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fcontent%2Fdam%2Fnews%2F2019%2F04%2F10%2FBOB110419-xlarge_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq0CjG5m5anLXLD_-K2ceRsM9mRvFpzQFkAchKDBZXKio.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&fallback=news_d_placeholder_publisher&_nc_hash=AQDl-xbEByDfMQee

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2