Acknowledging frustration, Britain's May calls on parliament to deliver Brexit

webfact

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Are you some sort of paid stooge?

What exactly do you get out of this?

Serious question as I have no idea why you should be so interested, not least as you're own country is every bit as screwed up as ours.

I think it is quite clear that I never once supported Brexit, I have also been consistent in my criticism of Brexit and my view that it is an act of self harm that I wish to see cancelled.

I’m sorry if you have a problem with the consistency of my position on Brexit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Is that not a Referendum by another name???

So I stand as a candidate for a new party called "Stuff Brexit" and get elected on a single issue, is that good for the country???

Just pointing out there is a simple solution. 

I really have no problem with people voting. 

39 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The ‘elected representatives’ were elected on Leave manifestos, with promises to respect the referendum result. They all voted for Article 50 and the Withdrawal Act.
They won’t be coming back next GE.

Here lies the Crux, both the Conservatives and Labour , did not campaign on 'No Deal'

This is taken from the Conservative Manifesto

' but we continue to believe that no deal is better than a bad deal for the UK. But we will enter the negotiations in a spirit of sincere cooperation and committed to getting the best deal for Britain.

The Manifesto is littered throughout , with terms such as getting the best deal.

Now whether the T.May deal is the best deal is a matter of opinion, but it does not disrespect what the Conservatives campaigned for 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vogie said:

We have had our 'once in a lifetime referendum' on Brexit, our choice was to leave. If another referendum was put to the citizens of the UK, what makes you think that one would not be ignored also. How can anyone believe what comes out of MPs mouths anymore.

Your choice was to leave, not everyone agreed with you and doubtless few agree the deal on offer is acceptable.

The Brexit problem now is, the referendum did not abolish Parliamentary democracy. 

MPs don’t like the deal and they’ve already put a stop to the ‘No Deal’ nonsense.

You might not like that, but millions of people with families to home and feed and bills to pay think differently.

6 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your choice was to leave, not everyone agreed with you and doubtless few agree the deal on offer is acceptable.

The Brexit problem now is, the referendum did not abolish Parliamentary democracy. 

MPs don’t like the deal and they’ve already put a stop to the ‘No Deal’ nonsense.

You might not like that, but millions of people with families to home and feed and bills to pay think differently.

There are quite a few of them on the other side too.

As for your earlier sneer...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vogie said:

We have had our 'once in a lifetime referendum' on Brexit, our choice was to leave. If another referendum was put to the citizens of the UK, what makes you think that one would not be ignored also. How can anyone believe what comes out of MPs mouths anymore.

To be fair, if another referendum resulted in a remaIn result, MPs would fall over backwards to endorse it!

They're not at all sure at the moment, hence the hesitance whilst still playing games to pretend they support brexit - whilst voting in an entirely different manner....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, evadgib said:

There are quite a few of them on the other side too.

As for your earlier sneer...

Since you have chosen to promote a political party in your choice of avatar and now posting their campaign tweets I’ll take it you don’t mind us discussing that political party.

Perhaps you don’t want to discuss their poor following on social media or be reminded of that Party leader’s comments on a 48/52 result.

The pitiful showing for Farage’s ‘Jarrow March’, anemic crowds at the Pro-Brexit march in London and fringe number support for the Brexit Party Facebook page suggest that despite all the Brexit news and all the ‘your Brexit is being stolen’ angst, that Brexit is yesterday’s news. 

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Obviously it depends on the candidates put forward by the main parties.

I suspect (but obviously don't know) that there is likely to be a huge increase in those voting for brexit parties, and a smaller turnout than usual, as voters become even more disenfranchised.

I suspect that a GE would result in many people (particularly those who had voted in favour of Brexit) voting 'against' a candidate rather than 'for' one.  This could result in a commons full of single member parties such as 'The Boaty Boatface party', the Yorkshire anti-Thatcherite party', 'Free LGBT Whales from Nuclear Destruction party' etc.  Not a good prospect.

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Since you have chosen to promote a political party in your choice of avatar and now posting their campaign tweets I’ll take it you don’t mind us discussing that political party.

Perhaps you don’t want to discuss their poor following on social media or be reminded of that Party leader’s comments on a 48/52 result.

The pitiful showing for Farage’s ‘Jarrow March’, anemic crowds at the Pro-Brexit march in London and fringe number support for the Brexit Party Facebook page suggest that despite all the Brexit news and all the ‘your Brexit is being stolen’ angst, that Brexit is yesterday’s news. 

You'll need to widen the scope to inc all Brexit related parties.

I only have one avatar & do not claim to know who they all are.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

The electorate of the UK voted to leave the EU and by a majority of 498 to 114, the MPs voted to honour that vote, they have since reneged on that pledge. By PM May putting one foot out of Mr Barniers door does not necessitate leaving the EU in any way, however much the remainers think it does.

MPs have in no way put a stop to no deal Brexit, all the Yvette Cooper bill does is delay it.

Your interpretation of having no food on the table because of a no deal is a fine example of over exaggeration and falls into the catagory of project fear.

Project fear you say.

I doubt it comes down to fear, people need only look at the shambles Brexit is, the false Brexit promises, the absence of easy deals and the reality of the weak UK position, then decide:

Carry on with this mess or do nothing and hope it all goes away.

If in doubt...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Brexit is not the problem, the MPs are the problem, remainers of course.????

Brexit is the problem, and has been ever since Cameron decided to hold a referendum. From my understanding  of what happened nearly three years ago, the Tory government set out to provide the best deal for the people in honouring the referendum result.

Well, the 'best deal' is May's deal, which is probably worse than staying in the EU, and certainly wouldn't benefit the population. 

Unfortunately, without any reasonable alternatives, does the current population want to be even more worse off than before the referendum? At the moment, householders are £900 per annum worse off, and I doubt that leaving the EU is suddenly going to change matters for the better. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That’s Politics and Parliament for you.

Theresa May and her government did everything they could do to hide the negotiations and the deal she was making from Parliament.

When dragged before Parliament by ‘enemies of the people’ Parliament finds they don’t like anything about the deal (it’s difficult to find anyone who does).

So Parliament reject the deal.

I do understand your frustration.

I understand the leavers frustration as well.  As I see it they have been let down by everyone. Not only May but more to the point by the likes of Johnson, Gove, Davis and Fox.  In other words the Brexiteers in the house.  Not just for the bulls*it from the start but then by not stepping up and taking responsibility or at least trying to see it through.  Instead Gove caved in early and the others just hide and take sniper shots from the side lines.

If May steps down and a general election is called then the Tories would have an opportunity to re-group.  It would then be up to them to decide who should lead them into that general election.  That would be interesting!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Overriding parliamentary democracy and the democratic process by means of a referendum is pure ‘mob rule’.

The Brexiteer chant, which you have taken part in:  

17.4 million people.

There are a tad more than 17.4 million British Citizens in the UK.

Let’s have less of your ‘mob rule’ accusations.

Just a close to nothing 48,11 % of the votes… Who cares….

7 hours ago, vogie said:

The 17.4 are the people that voted, they were a majority. They were asked a question by the government, they responded by telling the government that they wished to leave the EU. Most of parliament agreed to honour the referendum decision, now some of them have turned turtle and have gone against their initial pledges. Only a remainer would not see the flaw there.

48,11 % of the votes were for "remain". 

• Like 1