Songkran: Throwing water can land you in jail, say top lawyers

webfact

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

If you think about it, in the tourist areas adults will be the majority over children. Other than looking that it's an adult thing in Pattaya and the likes, it is actually no different to a NE village Songkran. Yes Thais do get together as friends and family but that is something not possible for tourists. Hence the difference.

Nothing to do with being changed by them damn foreigners.

Well, I am currently in Isaan and here all i see are kids doing the splashing and everyone tells me the same thing, that it was always only kids who played like that until adult tourists started joining in with the kids, and now its promoted to tourists as being the worlds biggest water fight, so that is what they are expecting, but it wasnt a water fight 30 years ago, it was completely one sided like it still is in Isaan, can you truly not see the difference between kids throwing water at adults passing by and adults coming alonh with water guns to give it back?

18 hours ago, ttrd said:

Hard to optain 0 degree celsius in a bucket or a barrel by add some ice cubes in temperated/lukewarm water when the outside temperature is +40 degree celsius - do the Math … :thumbsup:

They don't use "some ice cubes", they use large chunks of ice which will get the vater very cold.

3 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Another threat by Thais to throw pesky foreigners in jail unless they pay a huge fine.

With any luck there won't be any foreigners coming here for Songkran

Thais can have it all to themselves.

Wishful thinking...

22 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Well, I am currently in Isaan and here all i see are kids doing the splashing and everyone tells me the same thing

How many posters have told you you are wrong, 3-4? And stop exaggerating that 'everyone tells you'. Thais have a reputation for not being honest with the truth.

3 hours ago, Moo 2 said:

For some peoples throwing water at Songkran is becoming a vicious game

Indeed, they use these quite powerful 'pump guns' and they often aim at your face or eyes. Why tge heck are they doing this? What's next, using BB guns?

37 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Well, I am currently in Isaan and here all i see are kids doing the splashing and everyone tells me the same thing, that it was always only kids who played like that until adult tourists started joining in with the kids, and now its promoted to tourists as being the worlds biggest water fight, so that is what they are expecting, but it wasnt a water fight 30 years ago, it was completely one sided like it still is in Isaan, can you truly not see the difference between kids throwing water at adults passing by and adults coming alonh with water guns to give it back?

Thai water wars 60 years ago.....  (Songkran 1960. Thapae road with the Tantraphan Store.)

Note adults in the minivan attacking others including children along the water soaked road. (kill zone)

1960-songkran-cm-tantraphan-store-1.jpg

It's good to know that such laws exsist, but are the public, especially Thais, aware of such laws?

As already stated, this is Thailand, a complaint will probably not be acted upon, especially for a farang. Thai seem to be a society that do what they want, that do not care or respect rules and requlations. Just observe how laws are openly broken, everyday on Thai roads. 

I'm all for people having fun, but I do not like to be covered in water especially when I say no, in a polite manner, but still get soaked. 

Water throwing is dangerous for more than one reason. Thais can celebrate by other methods, but this is over the top Thailand. Lots of noise, mess and exaggerations. 

2 hours ago, Rally123 said:

How many posters have told you you are wrong, 3-4? And stop exaggerating that 'everyone tells you'. Thais have a reputation for not being honest with the truth.

Oh, if 3-4 people all claim something it makes it true, i didnt know.

Personally i will go with the 13 old folk i am currenly surrounded by who can actually remember rather than the pure speculation of 3-4 foreigners, but thanks for the offer.

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Thai water wars 60 years ago.....  (Songkran 1960. Thapae road with the Tantraphan Store.)

Note adults in the minivan attacking others including children along the water soaked road. (kill zone)

1960-songkran-cm-tantraphan-store-1.jpg

I cant see anyone in the vehicle attacking no, can you?  Did you take a look at the other pics on your link, not an adult splashing in sight is there?

Did you consider what the author of your link wrote?  That this was when it began to change in Chiang Mai?  And that was where that change occured?  Right outside the only Western shop in town.  Chiang Mai has had a farang community for well over 100 years, and that is where they hung out, by the way.

It would be interesting to see what was happening around Talad Noi at the same time, or Phuket, considering they also had farang communities in those days.

What i know is what all these old men and women here, most are about 80, are telling me.  They balked at the suggestion that adults took part in water fights, they explained to me how then water was so precious here that no one wasted any, what they did was put flowers in a bowl of water and carried it to the temple to splash Buddha with, then they went home and poured the same water over the childrens and the elders hands, they cleaned the house and they ate a nice meal together and that was it.  None of them seem sure when the splashing began here but one lady, who is 63, says that she did it as a child, but she lived beside a lake so they had water to spare.

3 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Do Thai's have a reputation for not being honest or do TV posters have a reputation for being generalizing Thai bashing dimwits?

On 4/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, darksidedog said:

Yes, but this is Thailand. if you walk into the cop shop and want to press charges for being doused, they are going to laugh at you.

It would be interesting to know how many times, if ever, any of these charges have ended up in court.

precisely!!!!!!!!!!! and how does one catch the person who has doused.....in fact drenched you????????

34 minutes ago, essox essox said:

why has this ONLY COME TO LIGHT here on Thai Visa???

nothing reported for the last umpteen years !!!

If you care to read the op you will see that it did not come to light on TV but actually a lawyer on facebook posted this, and the very same lawyer did actually post most of the same last year. Not that the likes of article 358 have not been reported on by many others over the years, the criminal code has been reported since 1956!!!

On 4/11/2019 at 5:47 PM, happysanook said:

Hate the ice water. One of the main reasons I stay holed up during songkran. Really crap way to celebrate, by throwing frigid water on people.

If you end up in the A/C after, a great way to get sick too. Happened to me once!

The Anopheles mosquitoes must be more than happy over millions of new breeding grounds:

Si Sa Ket. AFTER MORE than 100 people contracted malaria in 15 months (January 2018 to March 2019) in the northeastern province of Si Sa Ket, health advocates joined forces to provide knowledge about this mosquito-borne disease.

Archived