Leaving Thailand on day 96/97: too late?

I entered Thailand on January 12 this year on a multiple entry non-B visa and will exit the country next week on April 18. I was/am due to do the 90-day notification of stay this week, but need to know if it is necessary in my case.

If counted correctly, I will leave Thailand on either the 96th or 97th day after my last entry (and thereby notification), depending if the day of entry counts as day 0 or day 1.

Would you say I can forego the notification due to the week period of grace that visa holders seem to get? Or do I need to get worried?

• Like 1

Technically you still have to do the report, even if you leave during the "grace period". I do believe, however, that the worst outcome of not doing it is a fine of 2,000 baht the next time you try to do a 90 day report.

• Thanks 1

When you arrived on 12 JAN the immigration official put s stamp in your passport telling you exactly until what date you are allowed to stay. The day of arrival counts as day one of the 90 days and if I have calculated this correctly your stamp says UNTIL 11 APR.

For your situation, the question of the "90-day notification" does not apply. You should have left Thailand not later than midnight on 11 APR. You are now on overstay and risk getting arrested, prosecuted, fined and deported. If you leave today, 12 APR, without getting arrested you are let go without a fine at an airport or with a fine of 500 Baht at a land border.

1 hour ago, MarcelV said:

I entered Thailand on January 12 this year on a multiple entry non-B visa and will exit the country next week on April 18. I was/am due to do the 90-day notification of stay this week, but need to know if it is necessary in my case.

If counted correctly, I will leave Thailand on either the 96th or 97th day after my last entry (and thereby notification), depending if the day of entry counts as day 0 or day 1.

Would you say I can forego the notification due to the week period of grace that visa holders seem to get? Or do I need to get worried?

I assume you have a 1 or 2 year extension of stay issued by immigration, and re-entered the country on Jan 12th using a multiple entry re-entry permit, not a ME Non ‘B’ visa. April 18th will be day 97.

There is some debate that the 7 days starts on day 90 making the last day you can report day 96. Whether it’s day 96 or 97 depends on the office processing your report. 

If you were leaving on day 96 (17th) there would be no need to report. However, as you are leaving on day 97 — if you want to avoid the possibility of a future retrospective fine — it would’ve best to report before you leave.

10 hours ago, Maestro said:

When you arrived on 12 JAN the immigration official put s stamp in your passport telling you exactly until what date you are allowed to stay. The day of arrival counts as day one of the 90 days and if I have calculated this correctly your stamp says UNTIL 11 APR.

For your situation, the question of the "90-day notification" does not apply. You should have left Thailand not later than midnight on 11 APR. You are now on overstay and risk getting arrested, prosecuted, fined and deported. If you leave today, 12 APR, without getting arrested you are let go without a fine at an airport or with a fine of 500 Baht at a land border.

I only need to do 90-day reporting. There's no need for me to actually leave Thailand ever - well, within a year - on my visa.

Because I live very close to the Malaysian border, I usually choose leaving Thailand for a day instead. That way the 90-day clock resets and I don't need to stop at immigration.

Since I am almost 300 km from my immigration office right now, it is a real hassle doing my report here and online reporting is no longer accepted.

4 hours ago, MarcelV said:

I only need to do 90-day reporting. There's no need for me to actually leave Thailand ever - well, within a year - on my visa.

So you do not have a Visa.? You have an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit? 

Or do do you have as you state "a multiple entry non-B visa " which will allow you to stay in Thailand for 90 days?

12 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

So you do not have a Visa.? You have an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit? 

Or do do you have as you state "a multiple entry non-B visa " which will allow you to stay in Thailand for 90 days?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, as I am not very good at all this visa lingo: I have a yearly extension of stay based on my original non-B visa of 2016. Like, it gets renewed every year, you know.

This means I need never do any visa run anymore, just the occasional trip to immigration for a notification of stay.

5 hours ago, MarcelV said:

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, as I am not very good at all this visa lingo: I have a yearly extension of stay based on my original non-B visa of 2016. Like, it gets renewed every year, you know.

This means I need never do any visa run anymore, just the occasional trip to immigration for a notification of stay.

OK So now your status is clear. However as the 90 day reports are locally administered as are the fines, if any, it's unlikely that anyone can give you a definitive answer.

You will have missed your required report. The 7 days after is to allow time to report. It isn't a 96days do a border hop and your OK.

But your local office may view it like that.

Assuming you will continue doing boarder hops until renewing you permission to stay, and given that it's going to cost more than 2,000 Baht to make the trip to immigration in your situation I would ignore the report. You will find out when it comes time to renew what your local office's policy is. 

Not reporting on time will have no effect on your renewal, it may have an effect on your wallet.