Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

Jeez... I reckon this one could play out into something massive with big consequences into the future.

Are we seeing a tactical power play by cam and his agent? Last year, his agent was trying to use the media to get Cam back to Perth and fremantle. Didn't work.

Or, as someone suggested, is Cam depressed? if so, I would assume he would be getting medical treatment

Has cam just thrown a wobbly?

There is more to come here for sure...

Homesick Cam McCarthy granted indefinite leave by the Giants

GREATER Western Sydney has granted key forward Cam McCarthy indefinite leave to allow him to return to Western Australia.

The 20-year-old is understood to have informed the Giants on Wednesday he was homesick and wanted time with family.

The Giants have accepted it is in his best interests to take a break from the game although AFL.com.au understands they plan to keep him on the list.

They will also continue to support him throughout the process with Giants CEO Dave Matthews saying the decision to grant the player indefinite leave was made after careful consideration.

"Cam has most recently been struggling to deal with the day-to-day demands of being an AFL footballer and as a result we have agreed that the best course of action is for him to step away from the game," Matthews said.

"Following last year's trade period we agreed to implement a range of measures to ensure Cam was able to spend more time in Western Australia with his family. This included augmenting his training schedule as well as bolstering what was already a comprehensive welfare framework.

"Despite initially making strong progress after returning from the Christmas break it has been apparent that Cam cannot currently meet the demands of being an AFL footballer.

"We will obviously continue to support Cam during this time and assist him in every way possible. His welfare is our priority. We ask that Cam's privacy be respected at this time."

McCarthy sought a trade to Fremantle during last year's trade period but the Giants refused to let him go as he had two years remaining on his contract.

He was a notable absentee from the Giants' team photo shoot on Wednesday, with the club saying he was unwell.

How the Giants plan on keeping McCarthy

The young forward had a breakout season in his second year with the expansion club kicking 35 goals in 20 games and earning a NAB Rising Star nomination.

The Giants were determined to hang on to quality players who wanted leave before their contract expired after trading Tom Boyd a year earlier to the Western Bulldogs when he had been at the club for just one season.

Adam Tomlinson also remained with the Giants despite seeking a trade to Carlton during the off-season.

After working hard to secure a trade for McCarthy, his manager Colin Young indicated in October McCarthy was unlikely to finish his career at the Giants.

However after a slow start to the pre-season McCarthy was understood to be training well in recent weeks.

Co-captain Phil Davis said in November the young forward was a popular member of the team and Leon Cameron had said after the trade period the club wanted to make it possible for McCarthy to spend more time with family.

He was selection No.14 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-29/homesick-cam-mccarthy-granted-indefinite-leave-by-the-giants

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

I think this controversy and article could be applied to the AFL. Reaction stemming from vocal public outrage by certain groups.

If you are not familiar with the current Mitchell Pearce situation. Basically he was caught on video being very drunk and doing drunk things. he was in a private house.

IMO, the guy has a drinking problem, but his behavior was not worse and no more offensive than hundreds of drunks I have seen before.

Catherine Lumby and many others have been jumping on the 'ban him for life' bandwagon. This seems totally out of proportion with all reality. I would have thought Lumby, as a consultant to the NRL would have had better solutions to problem drinking than punitive measures involving removal from the sport

The other issue of course, is the guy was in a private space, and not in the public domain.

http://www.smh.com.a...128-gmgfw3.html

It seems to me that the boys got up and prepared to leave fairly promptly after being told to F off.

That’s polite.

Apparently they were already drunk before going to this “party”, I imagine that they were invited.

Is it possible that the scrubbers (hostesses) had scanned their pockets and flushed them out and now it was time to send the young fellas/punters off.

$50K fine for that??? Corporate robbery.

And now,,, Bull dike Catherine Lumby wants to have him sacked and banned for life? What for? Maybe for trying to kiss a “lesbian” ??

Must be a career move on her part, wants to be remembered as the tough guy. Maybe pick up another award or two.

It’s getting so that if you are a sporting star, you need a couple of minders almost 24/7 to be on parasite watch.

Big ar-e Tracy started all this and it's running through all sports like direaha atm.biggrin.png

Gentlemen gentleman, doesn't matter where it was or how it got out, he is captain of a professional football team, he should be leading by example.

Now if the captain of your team behaved like the local yobbo what hope is there for everyone else in the team.

Even just a player let alone captain, all have a responsibility to conduct them selves in a respectful way at all times, I mean kids and even there mums and dads look up to guys like this...then there's sponsors and so on.

• Like 1

The merry go round continues, mark Jamar is being actively courted by both Essendon ant Port as a top up player, mind you this guy played 5 early games for a bottom of the ladder club then spent the rest of the season playing VFL, meanwhile Cam Mcathy GWS forward has packed his bags and has headed home, club siting personal issues, Leon is wishful the guy will get his act together and be back whilst Cam's manager said in 10 months time we will be back trying to get a trade back to WA, now let's take bets for how long before his back playing in the seniors, I'm going round 3 with private assurances he will be traded at seasons end, though Freo's window might be closing by then.

• Like 1

Gentlemen gentleman, doesn't matter where it was or how it got out, he is captain of a professional football team, he should be leading by example.

Now if the captain of your team behaved like the local yobbo what hope is there for everyone else in the team.

Even just a player let alone captain, all have a responsibility to conduct them selves in a respectful way at all times, I mean kids and even there mums and dads look up to guys like this...then there's sponsors and so on.

I don't think anyone condones his behaviour, it's just the over the top reaction it's caused.

For an example, If you compare the behavior of him and Dustin Martin, Martin was in a public

place that more than likely had children around and behaved like a goose in public.

I just don't think Pearce's act warrants the outrage from so many.

• Like 1

Experience exodus won't send Swans tumbling: Longmire

EXACTLY 983 senior games of experience disappeared from the Sydney Swans' list after the 2015 season, but don't expect the club to tumble down the ladder this year, says coach John Longmire.

Dual Brownlow medallist Adam Goodes (372 games), Rhyce Shaw (237) and Mike Pyke (110) all retired, while Craig Bird (137) and Lewis Jetta (127) found new homes at Essendon and West Coast respectively via the draft.

All five played key roles in the Swans' 2012 premiership win and the departures will test the club's leaders in a big way this season, but Longmire has seen it all before.

While some outside the club might see this season as a new era at the Swans – who haven't missed the finals since 2009 – the man in charge sees it differently.

In an exclusive interview with AFL.com.au Longmire said the Swans had plans in place to counter the heavy loss of experience, and he's confident in the ability of the next tier of players coming through.

"The reality is that lists continually evolve, and it's been happening for years," Longmire said.

"We've lost players before like Ryan O'Keefe, Jude Bolton, Lewis Roberts-Thompson, but the exciting thing is that there are opportunities for the younger kids coming through now, blokes who may have played senior footy but also those who haven't.

"That doesn't mean we don't want to be competitive - we still think our best team is very competitive and we still have some really strong players in our group.

"There are spots there, I mean there's four from the end of last year's team, five premiership players left and we're really confident in that next generation coming through to be able to replace those players."

Fringe players like Brandon Jack (27 games), Dean Towers (17), Zak Jones (15), Dan Robinson (4), James Rose (2) and Xavier Richards (2) are those most likely to benefit from the exodus of established names at the Swans.

Jack, Towers and Jones all played quality senior footy for extended periods in the second half of 2015 and showed that they have the ability to be permanent members of the Swans' best 22.

Add star academy draftee Callum Mills to the mix and Longmire believes the future is bright.

"I'm of the belief that you're never quite sure who will grab their chance in an on-field and off-field sense," Longmire said.

"If you look at the early 2000s we lost players like Paul Kelly and Andrew Dunkley, and you look at that and say 'what are we going to do about our list?'

"But the facts are if those players aren't there, others will come through and thrive under that extra responsibility and learn from other good leaders.

"We've seen Luke Parker at a young age jump into our leadership group last year as a prime example."

"I think it's pretty self explanatory - we don't have to sit down with those players and point it out to them; the opportunities are there, it's just a matter of who grabs them and makes the most of them.

"It's one thing having strong training form, it's another thing converting it into playing form and that's the phase that we head into very shortly."http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-30/experience-exodus-wont-send-swans-tumbling-longmire

Edited by BookMan

Mobile Franklin stars in Swans' scratch match

LANCE Franklin has continued his solid pre-season with an impressive performance in the Sydney Swans' intra-club practice match on Friday.

Opposed to off-season recruit Michael Talia for most of the 40-minute hit out in Sydney's inner west, Franklin moved well, covered plenty of territory and won numerous possessions around the ground playing as a leading forward.

The three-time Coleman medallist also laid several big tackles and set up scoring opportunities for his teammates with his pressure, showing off a defensive side of his game that is largely underrated by the footy public.

Franklin had a minor finger operation before the Christmas break but appeared untroubled during the spirited scratch match.

Regular defender Dane Rampe was prominent in his usual role, but also showed some good signs when he spent some time playing as a midfielder, while Brandon Jack was lively on ball and as a permanent forward.

Experienced heads Heath Grundy and Nick Smith looked sharp playing in defence, as did star midfielders Luke Parker, Dan Hannebery and co-captain Kieren Jack.

Of the younger brigade, injury-riddled rookie Nic Newman looked polished off half-back, while the Swans' first pick in last year's NAB AFL draft at No.3, Callum Mills, showed class and composure under pressure.

Co-captain Jarryd McVeigh, reigning club champion Josh Kennedy, young gun Isaac Heeney and exciting forward Sam Reid were some of the key Swans to sit out of the match as they continue to be managed through the pre-season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-22/mobile-franklin-stars-in-swans-scratch-match

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

What has the essendon cpt got against Chapman.

Well Ron I'm glad you asked that question.

You see Chappie wrote a book....and in that book he's had a go at Goodard for ummm well for all sorts of reasons, one of the reasons is Goodard shoot's his mouth off like a gattling gun if i read correctly.....if you read between the lines they don't like each other, Goodard in the press report from last year sounded rather foolish but never the less it can't be all as it seems other wise why make him captain if he rubs people the wrong way. He said a few more words in this mornings Age newspaper on the Chapman affair, something about friends and walls in other words a polite dig at Chappie, dare i say Wooooooooooshaaaaaaa has got a job on his hands.

Its rather interesting that the bombers are actively searching out talent be it over the hill and retired when they had Chapman and Fletcher with in...what gives here?......

Would do you good RON to pay attention here as this was all written up late last year, since your a nice bloke i don't mind repeating myself but lets not make it to often hey big fella?

I must have missed it ,that's why I asked the question. I would like to say that I have a lot of respect for Chapmans ability and the way he played the game.

Have to say that it sounds like there could be fault on either side that both partys should get over for the clubs benifit and their own respectability.

Chappie knows how to fuel sales of his book I reckon

Chappy is a hell of a nice guy, got to know fairly well in the last 3 months as he is now a neighbour. Lives in Niddrie victoria a suburb that borders with Essendon. Shared a few Asahi's with him. A really soft spoken gentleman.
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone condones his behaviour, it's just the over the top reaction it's caused.

For an example, If you compare the behavior of him and Dustin Martin, Martin was in a public

place that more than likely had children around and behaved like a goose in public.

I just don't think Pearce's act warrants the outrage from so many.

WILL......Martin escaped because the woman in question refused to lay charges or what ever so nothing to answer for, this guy is on film for the world to see and captain of a national club, drunk and a moron....should be sent packing.

• Like 1

Never

Been busy, is BookMan still shacked up with with chippy or has he tossed him out

Thought you lived in Chaing Mai mr chooks, and as for bookie that chimp surfacers every now and then when he needs an excuse ....

Gee Niddrie is a big comedown from CM and Carnegie......I use too date a a couple of women from over there....not my favourite part of town...

Never

Been busy, is BookMan still shacked up with with chippy or has he tossed him out

U should know Chimpy is still here, u guys messaging all day, swapping St kilda memorbilia and photos of topless players.

Every night the little fella falls asleep on the blades of the ceiling fan wearing the st kilda jumper u gave him

• Like 2

Am I late

Somewhat

The 2016 seasons easybeats (Essendon) have already been called by several members.

Some players have been consigned to “over the hill” status.

Alex is going to cream FJ in the tipping, so he says,.

But there will be plenty of opportunities to choke on your foot or drop a brick.

Some have not even got started yet.

Feel free to dive in and keep the entertainment flowing.

I didn't know alex had promised to cream fj. Thats not something id like to see

• Like 1

Since chooks is back looks like fantasy is on again.....hope your going to field a team bookie.

By the way chooks, around the time you were ummm deleted from the picking you might have not kept up wth who won the Gf in fantasy....it was me.....i could see you developing the colliewoobles there towards the end of the season, a most remarkable 19 straight wins....untill GRANT got you.

Never

Thought you lived in Chaing Mai mr chooks, and as for bookie that chimp surfacers every now and then when he needs an excuse ....

Gee Niddrie is a big comedown from CM and Carnegie......I use too date a a couple of women from over there....not my favourite part of town...

still have home in C.M but brought the young bloke over for education and I had to return to work. Niddrie is expensive now, all cafe scene and ladyboy types, cyclists and trend setters. Not really my scene but a huge thai population, restaurants and massage centres. Carnegie don't know the area and never lived there, ex Box Hill, Moe.
  • Like 1

Since chooks is back looks like fantasy is on again.....hope your going to field a team bookie.

By the way chooks, around the time you were ummm deleted from the picking you might have not kept up wth who won the Gf in fantasy....it was me.....i could see you developing the colliewoobles there towards the end of the season, a most remarkable 19 straight wins....untill GRANT got you.

Yes I know, was undefeated the whole season, had a great team and they laid down in the finals. Was pissed and thought I would make it right through. Back it up in 2016 Alex.

Never

still have home in C.M but brought the young bloke over for education and I had to return to work. Niddrie is expensive now, all cafe scene and ladyboy types, cyclists and trend setters. Not really my scene but a huge thai population, restaurants and massage centres. Carnegie don't know the area and never lived there, ex Box Hill, Moe.

Niddrie the poor mans Essendon, or wanna be Essendon...yes yes i been working on some units there this year its changed a lot since i use to hang around there, the cafe culture there isn't anything much if i go to dinner i go carlton or fitzroy areas, maybe its the bad memories of those 2 women i can't forget....

Well chooks so sad you had to go back to work...we all get use to eating, never mind did you bring that pretty wife with you?

Never

U should know Chimpy is still here, u guys messaging all day, swapping St kilda memorbilia and photos of topless players.

Every night the little fella falls asleep on the blades of the ceiling fan wearing the st kilda jumper u gave him

bloody St Kilda drafting that broken down hack Freeman and that Carlisle in exchange for pick 5. He can now go back to the U.S and finish his lines of coke.
  • Like 2

Never

Niddrie the poor mans Essendon, or wanna be Essendon...yes yes i been working on some units there this year its changed a lot since i use to hang around there, the cafe culture there isn't anything much if i go to dinner i go carlton or fitzroy areas, maybe its the bad memories of those 2 women i can't forget....

Well chooks so sad you had to go back to work...we all get use to eating, never mind did you bring that pretty wife with you?

Yes brought the wife, had to as she is already an Aussie citizen,has been for 17 years, hard to run from her.
  • Like 2

Yes I know, was undefeated the whole season, had a great team and they laid down in the finals. Was pissed and thought I would make it right through. Back it up in 2016 Alex.

AHHHHHH....i was lucky....<deleted> didn't know what i was doing half the time, mid season i loaded up with Dee players at least i knew they be playing week in week out.....then a couple off them put in a hugh second half season, Dees finished off the season with some good performances which boosted my points...especialy in the GF..

Your still the man to beat....but i will be in there stirring it up...kind was hoping fantasy wouldn't go this season then i could claim to have won every premiership....hehehe

A fit looking Ben Cousins popped into WCE and gets a pic with Nic taken who wears his old number, the 37 year old it is reported has a reality tv show contract on the table that would take him into the wilds of Sth Africa, apparently he visits often, now I think he should get a real job, if he could apply himself to the rigours of AFL football training holding down a regular job would be easy, might even help keep him stay away from the stuff and his mind off it, as well as the long chases by the men in blue.

• Like 2

Richmond won't be rushed on Hardwick

RICHMOND has confidence in coach Damien Hardwick, but will not be rushed into extending his contract beyond 2016, CEO Brendon Gale says.

Gale told SEN the Tigers had a range of "internal criteria" to decide if Hardwick was the right man for the job beyond 2016, but said the club had faith in its coach.

"We have got enormous confidence in Damien," Gale said.

"We think he is a fine person. We think he has brought this club and the playing list a long way and we think he has enormous upside."

Hardwick began coaching Richmond in 2010, taking over a team that had finished second last on the ladder.

The Tigers lost his first nine games as coach as he began the arduous process of rebuilding the list during the expansion era.

He has built a team good enough to make the finals in the past three seasons but they are yet to win one, being eliminated in the first week each season.

Gale said those losses – particularly the devastating loss to North Melbourne last season – has hardened the team's resolve.

"Sometimes those bitter experiences, those extremely painful experiences, really harden your resolve and make you stronger going forward," Gale said.

Hardwick now has a win-loss record above 50 per cent and the Tigers have a list considered capable of reaching the top four.

"We think he has done an extraordinary job in the last five or six years from where he has brought the list, and I think we continue to get better and better," Gale said.

The Tigers CEO said the club would not put a timeline on when a decision would be made on Hardwick, however the club board is expected to meet in mid-February.

"We'll sit back. We have got our own internal criteria in which we'll make a decision," Gale said.

He did not think Hardwick would be distracted by contract speculation.

"He is a pretty focused and resilient coach and I would not imagine it would be too much of a distraction," Gale said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-01/richmond-wont-be-rushed-on-reappointing-damien-hardwick

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Go for Geary as next skipper, says Gilbert

ST KILDA defender Sam Gilbert says Jarryn Geary would be his choice as the Saints' next captain when skipper Nick Riewoldt eventually hands over the reins.

But he said Riewoldt remained the best captain he had ever seen and he would be happy with whoever held the title in 2016.

The Saints have not declared Riewoldt as the skipper for this season, but the 33-year-old champion remains the likely choice.

Gilbert said the St Kilda leadership group was strong and that remained the most important consideration.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-31/sam-gilbert-nominates-jarryn-geary-as-st-kildas-captain-post-nick-riewoldt-era

St Kilda wants extra rookie over Carlisle ban

ST KILDA wants the AFL to allow it to add a rookie to its list after losing recruit Jake Carlisle to suspension after the Court of Arbitration for Sport's imposition of season-long bans on 34 past and present Essendon players.

Saints CEO Matt Finnis said on Sunday the club would upgrade a rookie to the senior list to replace Carlisle but would like the opportunity to add another player as a rookie so they were not disadvantaged.

He said the AFL was considering the matter.

"Our focus is to upgrade a rookie … [but it] remains to be seen whether we will have another player to add to our rookie list in place in that upgrade."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-31/st-kilda-wants-an-extra-rookie-to-replace-upgraded-player-after-jake-carlisle-suspension

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 2

Richmond won't be rushed on Hardwick

RICHMOND has confidence in coach Damien Hardwick, but will not be rushed into extending his contract beyond 2016, CEO Brendon Gale says.

Gale told SEN the Tigers had a range of "internal criteria" to decide if Hardwick was the right man for the job beyond 2016, but said the club had faith in its coach.

"We have got enormous confidence in Damien," Gale said.

"We think he is a fine person. We think he has brought this club and the playing list a long way and we think he has enormous upside."

Hardwick began coaching Richmond in 2010, taking over a team that had finished second last on the ladder.

The Tigers lost his first nine games as coach as he began the arduous process of rebuilding the list during the expansion era.

He has built a team good enough to make the finals in the past three seasons but they are yet to win one, being eliminated in the first week each season.

Gale said those losses – particularly the devastating loss to North Melbourne last season – has hardened the team's resolve.

"Sometimes those bitter experiences, those extremely painful experiences, really harden your resolve and make you stronger going forward," Gale said.

Hardwick now has a win-loss record above 50 per cent and the Tigers have a list considered capable of reaching the top four.

"We think he has done an extraordinary job in the last five or six years from where he has brought the list, and I think we continue to get better and better," Gale said.

The Tigers CEO said the club would not put a timeline on when a decision would be made on Hardwick, however the club board is expected to meet in mid-February.

"We'll sit back. We have got our own internal criteria in which we'll make a decision," Gale said.

He did not think Hardwick would be distracted by contract speculation.

"He is a pretty focused and resilient coach and I would not imagine it would be too much of a distraction," Gale said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-01/richmond-wont-be-rushed-on-reappointing-damien-hardwick

I reckon if Richmond don't win a final, Dimma is gorn.

• Like 1

Lance Franklin will never 'truly recover' from mental health problems, says Jesinta Campbell

Jesinta Campbell, the fiancee of Sydney Swans star forward Lance "Buddy" Franklin, believes her partner will never "truly recover" from his mental health issues but says he is making steady progress ahead of a return this season.

Franklin has not played a game of football since September after revealing he suffered from mental illness - a condition the Swans had been aware of for some time.

The 29-year-old is back training with the Swans, but Campbell, speaking on the Today show on Monday, said that, although Franklin was doing everything right to be ready for Sydney's opening fixture against Collingwood on March 26, the effects of his mental illness might stick with him for longer than people might expect.

"I don't think you ever truly recover from a mental health issue," Campbell said. "It is really something that you battle with and challenge with every day. I think with anyone who struggles with mental health, it's a day-by-day thing; you just have to tackle the day and do the best that you can. It's hard and just because he is a sports star doesn't mean that he's bulletproof."

Campbell hoped AFL and sports fans in general would do their bit to support Franklin; a player who has arguably the highest profile of anyone in the code.

"Being really sympathetic of that [would be great]," Campbell said. "I think the best thing as a country we could do is to be kinder to people."

From all reports, Franklin is now in a better frame of mind than he was last year when it came to light that he also suffers from a mild form of epilepsy, which is unrelated to his mental health issues.

"He was off to training really early this morning and he's really happy and healthy and that's the most important thing," Campbell said. "The big boy is back and, let me tell you, he's training the roof down. He's looking really muscly actually, which I'm loving."

After making his return to training in December, Franklin said: "It was a tough time for myself, leading into the finals. I was really struggling and I put my hand up and said I needed help. I'm so glad I did it. I took some time away and it was the best decision I've made."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/lance-franklin-will-never-truly-recover-from-mental-health-problems-says-jesinta-campbell-20160131-gmifu3.html#ixzz3ysmlhrr9

• Like 1