Australian-rules-football-afl-chatting-tipping-and-news

BookMan

If it wasn't football expectations it would have been something else to bring him down, mental illness is a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off, 1 in 5 aussies will suffer from it at some point in there life then there are the ones who struggle there entire lives with it.

• Like 1

Go for Geary as next skipper, says Gilbert

ST KILDA defender Sam Gilbert says Jarryn Geary would be his choice as the Saints' next captain when skipper Nick Riewoldt eventually hands over the reins.

But he said Riewoldt remained the best captain he had ever seen and he would be happy with whoever held the title in 2016.

The Saints have not declared Riewoldt as the skipper for this season, but the 33-year-old champion remains the likely choice.

Gilbert said the St Kilda leadership group was strong and that remained the most important consideration.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-31/sam-gilbert-nominates-jarryn-geary-as-st-kildas-captain-post-nick-riewoldt-era

St Kilda wants extra rookie over Carlisle ban

ST KILDA wants the AFL to allow it to add a rookie to its list after losing recruit Jake Carlisle to suspension after the Court of Arbitration for Sport's imposition of season-long bans on 34 past and present Essendon players.

Saints CEO Matt Finnis said on Sunday the club would upgrade a rookie to the senior list to replace Carlisle but would like the opportunity to add another player as a rookie so they were not disadvantaged.

He said the AFL was considering the matter.

"Our focus is to upgrade a rookie [but it] remains to be seen whether we will have another player to add to our rookie list in place in that upgrade."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-31/st-kilda-wants-an-extra-rookie-to-replace-upgraded-player-after-jake-carlisle-suspension

I think it's only fair that other clubs effected should be allowed to top up. They also have lost players due to the essendon suspension.

Port, saints and demons look like taking essendon to court for the wages of those suspended and the dogs may also. 600k for the drugged out idiot Carlisle.

I will settle for essendon's 1st pick in the 2016 draft. Would have to be higher than pick 5 they got for the druggie Carlisle.

• Like 1

ST KILDA defender Sam Gilbert says Jarryn Geary would be his choice as the Saints' next captain when skipper Nick Riewoldt eventually hands over the reins.

But he said Riewoldt remained the best captain he had ever seen and he would be happy with whoever held the title in 2016.

The Saints have not declared Riewoldt as the skipper for this season, but the 33-year-old champion remains the likely choice.

Gilbert said the St Kilda leadership group was strong and that remained the most important consideration.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-31/sam-gilbert-nominates-jarryn-geary-as-st-kildas-captain-post-nick-riewoldt-era

ST KILDA wants the AFL to allow it to add a rookie to its list after losing recruit Jake Carlisle to suspension after the Court of Arbitration for Sport's imposition of season-long bans on 34 past and present Essendon players.

Saints CEO Matt Finnis said on Sunday the club would upgrade a rookie to the senior list to replace Carlisle but would like the opportunity to add another player as a rookie so they were not disadvantaged.

"Our focus is to upgrade a rookie [but it] remains to be seen whether we will have another player to add to our rookie list in place in that upgrade."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-31/st-kilda-wants-an-extra-rookie-to-replace-upgraded-player-after-jake-carlisle-suspension

Nicks last year, leave him as captain. Not sold on Geary, next year look at Billings if he proves himself this year.

I think it's only fair that other clubs effected should be allowed to top up. They also have lost players due to the essendon suspension.

Port, saints and demons look like taking essendon to court for the wages of those suspended and the dogs may also. 600k for the drugged out idiot Carlisle.

I will settle for essendon's 1st pick in the 2016 draft. Would have to be higher than pick 5 they got for the druggie Carlisle.

You make me laugh chooks....tears in my corn flakes....you will settle....haha....The Dees happy with elevating a rookie....dont now if your aware mate but with 18 clubs the pickings are pretty thin these days.

I had to watch it, Dermie was my most favourite player ever until Lance showed up interesting they wore the same number 23 at Hawthorn, The guy was almost the complete footballer where Lance is the complete footballer, Dermi played the hardest position on the ground and was dam good at it for years.

Went to a lunch many years ago with Dermie and Woosha speaking.

Both came across really well although it's fair to say Dermie was a bit more charasmatic than Woosh.

Both spoke really well though and Derm had some great war stories about IMO, the greatest player

of all time, Leigh Matthews.

The Hawks had about 6 of the best of all time running around in those teams of the 70's and 80's, only reason Dermi is above Mathews and only just i might add is that he played centre half forward up untii l modern times the most crucial position on the ground, Lance the man Franklin in my book is the best ever to date because he can play anywhere, full forward centre half, mobile ruckman, midfielder....anywhere and not only competes....wins.

• Like 1

I see the Bombers have picked up Jamar.

You might have let a good one slip there Alexbiggrin.png

Ahhhhh your a stirrer JO, good luck to the lumbering fella....to be totally honest never thought to much of him but at the same time i did think he was worth something to someone who needed a ruckman, just not us....

• Like 1

Well it won't go away................ever...............

Dank's article in the age this morning is an interesting read, I'm still unsure about the whole mess one sides says one thing the other says something else.

Now i know from being older and watching what went on around me over the years is....and I'm not taking sides in this, that when someone in the position of Dank Hird and Essendon that have been found guilty in a court of law, with enough money and will can pretty much fight it out and have it watered down so much as even to get the original decision reversed.

Ive never had a view on this only that when it came up the main players should have stepped down until it was taken care of, thats Hird and Little.

Hird fought tooth and nail because of his business as a sports manger, he personally could never manage anyone with a drug conviction, Dank of course is fighting because he would never work again in his field.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stephen-dank-i-want-to-clear-the-names-of-the-essendon-34-20160202-gmjigs.html

Reading that article, Dank says "i did this and i didn't do that' but has no evidence to back anything up. Seems deliberate they wanted no paper trail

If everything was kosher why not have kept basic records and have informed the club Doctor?

Hird should have been given a 5+ year ban..and maybe other senior admin/board members also

The players are less culpable but still had a duty to report they were being injected, dozens or scores of times each. They never did

• Like 2

Jeez... I reckon this one could play out into something massive with big consequences into the future.

Are we seeing a tactical power play by cam and his agent? Last year, his agent was trying to use the media to get Cam back to Perth and fremantle. Didn't work.

Or, as someone suggested, is Cam depressed? if so, I would assume he would be getting medical treatment

Has cam just thrown a wobbly?

There is more to come here for sure...

Homesick Cam McCarthy granted indefinite leave by the Giants

GREATER Western Sydney has granted key forward Cam McCarthy indefinite leave to allow him to return to Western Australia.

The 20-year-old is understood to have informed the Giants on Wednesday he was homesick and wanted time with family.

The Giants have accepted it is in his best interests to take a break from the game although AFL.com.au understands they plan to keep him on the list.

They will also continue to support him throughout the process with Giants CEO Dave Matthews saying the decision to grant the player indefinite leave was made after careful consideration.

"Cam has most recently been struggling to deal with the day-to-day demands of being an AFL footballer and as a result we have agreed that the best course of action is for him to step away from the game," Matthews said.

"Following last year's trade period we agreed to implement a range of measures to ensure Cam was able to spend more time in Western Australia with his family. This included augmenting his training schedule as well as bolstering what was already a comprehensive welfare framework.

"Despite initially making strong progress after returning from the Christmas break it has been apparent that Cam cannot currently meet the demands of being an AFL footballer.

"We will obviously continue to support Cam during this time and assist him in every way possible. His welfare is our priority. We ask that Cam's privacy be respected at this time."

McCarthy sought a trade to Fremantle during last year's trade period but the Giants refused to let him go as he had two years remaining on his contract.

He was a notable absentee from the Giants' team photo shoot on Wednesday, with the club saying he was unwell.

How the Giants plan on keeping McCarthy

The young forward had a breakout season in his second year with the expansion club kicking 35 goals in 20 games and earning a NAB Rising Star nomination.

The Giants were determined to hang on to quality players who wanted leave before their contract expired after trading Tom Boyd a year earlier to the Western Bulldogs when he had been at the club for just one season.

Adam Tomlinson also remained with the Giants despite seeking a trade to Carlton during the off-season.

After working hard to secure a trade for McCarthy, his manager Colin Young indicated in October McCarthy was unlikely to finish his career at the Giants.

However after a slow start to the pre-season McCarthy was understood to be training well in recent weeks.

Co-captain Phil Davis said in November the young forward was a popular member of the team and Leon Cameron had said after the trade period the club wanted to make it possible for McCarthy to spend more time with family.

He was selection No.14 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-29/homesick-cam-mccarthy-granted-indefinite-leave-by-the-giants

Yep, the AFL will have to keep an eye on this.

I'm glad GWS are digging their heels in.

Everytime every time someone misses mum's cooking they can throw a sooky la la

and use "mental well being" as an excuse?

Giants won’t just roll over on McCarthy

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30717635/giants-dig-in-on-mccarthy/

"An AFL spokesman confirmed the eligibility of any player to be registered in a lower league soon after being de-listed

on compassionate grounds would be judged on a case-by-case basis".

• Like 2

Well it won't go away................ever...............

Dank's article in the age this morning is an interesting read, I'm still unsure about the whole mess one sides says one thing the other says something else.

Now i know from being older and watching what went on around me over the years is....and I'm not taking sides in this, that when someone in the position of Dank Hird and Essendon that have been found guilty in a court of law, with enough money and will can pretty much fight it out and have it watered down so much as even to get the original decision reversed.

Ive never had a view on this only that when it came up the main players should have stepped down until it was taken care of, thats Hird and Little.

Hird fought tooth and nail because of his business as a sports manger, he personally could never manage anyone with a drug conviction, Dank of course is fighting because he would never work again in his field.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/stephen-dank-i-want-to-clear-the-names-of-the-essendon-34-20160202-gmjigs.html

Reading that article, Dank says "i did this and i didn't do that' but has no evidence to back anything up. Seems deliberate they wanted no paper trail

If everything was kosher why not have kept basic records and have informed the club Doctor?

Hird should have been given a 5+ year ban..and maybe other senior admin/board members also

The players are less culpable but still had a duty to report they were being injected, dozens or scores of times each. They never did

Sounded to me like others within the club trashed the the records....you know wiped from the pc.....and yes he could make a case of it he says he was getting the drugs from the US not china...someone has delivery records...mate they way these guys operate they only have to show dout, prove a few minor things then everything is up in the air again.

The players...well most are 20 with big heads because they play AFL most wouldn't question whats in the needle there getting stuck into them....you know there told what to do what to eat what time to go to bed etc......ROBOTS.

• Like 1

Jeez... I reckon this one could play out into something massive with big consequences into the future.

Are we seeing a tactical power play by cam and his agent? Last year, his agent was trying to use the media to get Cam back to Perth and fremantle. Didn't work.

Or, as someone suggested, is Cam depressed? if so, I would assume he would be getting medical treatment

Has cam just thrown a wobbly?

There is more to come here for sure...

Homesick Cam McCarthy granted indefinite leave by the Giants

GREATER Western Sydney has granted key forward Cam McCarthy indefinite leave to allow him to return to Western Australia.

The 20-year-old is understood to have informed the Giants on Wednesday he was homesick and wanted time with family.

The Giants have accepted it is in his best interests to take a break from the game although AFL.com.au understands they plan to keep him on the list.

They will also continue to support him throughout the process with Giants CEO Dave Matthews saying the decision to grant the player indefinite leave was made after careful consideration.

"Cam has most recently been struggling to deal with the day-to-day demands of being an AFL footballer and as a result we have agreed that the best course of action is for him to step away from the game," Matthews said.

"Following last year's trade period we agreed to implement a range of measures to ensure Cam was able to spend more time in Western Australia with his family. This included augmenting his training schedule as well as bolstering what was already a comprehensive welfare framework.

"Despite initially making strong progress after returning from the Christmas break it has been apparent that Cam cannot currently meet the demands of being an AFL footballer.

"We will obviously continue to support Cam during this time and assist him in every way possible. His welfare is our priority. We ask that Cam's privacy be respected at this time."

McCarthy sought a trade to Fremantle during last year's trade period but the Giants refused to let him go as he had two years remaining on his contract.

He was a notable absentee from the Giants' team photo shoot on Wednesday, with the club saying he was unwell.

How the Giants plan on keeping McCarthy

The young forward had a breakout season in his second year with the expansion club kicking 35 goals in 20 games and earning a NAB Rising Star nomination.

The Giants were determined to hang on to quality players who wanted leave before their contract expired after trading Tom Boyd a year earlier to the Western Bulldogs when he had been at the club for just one season.

Adam Tomlinson also remained with the Giants despite seeking a trade to Carlton during the off-season.

After working hard to secure a trade for McCarthy, his manager Colin Young indicated in October McCarthy was unlikely to finish his career at the Giants.

However after a slow start to the pre-season McCarthy was understood to be training well in recent weeks.

Co-captain Phil Davis said in November the young forward was a popular member of the team and Leon Cameron had said after the trade period the club wanted to make it possible for McCarthy to spend more time with family.

He was selection No.14 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-29/homesick-cam-mccarthy-granted-indefinite-leave-by-the-giants

Yep, the AFL will have to keep an eye on this.

I'm glad GWS are digging their heels in.

Everytime every time someone misses mum's cooking they can throw a sooky la la

and use "mental well being" as an excuse?

Giants won’t just roll over on McCarthy

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30717635/giants-dig-in-on-mccarthy/

"An AFL spokesman confirmed the eligibility of any player to be registered in a lower league soon after being de-listed

on compassionate grounds would be judged on a case-by-case basis".

Shame on Aussie rules players, Soccer as well as major US sports players play anywhere.......BUT sometimes there got at....tempted by the local AFL club.

I know he took over a crap side, but this is his 7th year

and I don't think a 49% winning record will do it.

Hardwick ought to worry, says Bartlett

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30717638/hardwick-contract-delay/

Ummmmm the Tiger brand was rock bottom before the young man took over, time we stopped measuring success by the number of premiers cups a coach collects...i personally think he's done a great job and that still isn't a great team, i would sign him up for 3 more years because we would easy get a deal elsewhere.

Ummmmm the Tiger brand was rock bottom before the young man took over, time we stopped measuring success by the number of premiers cups a coach collects...i personally think he's done a great job and that still isn't a great team, i would sign him up for 3 more years because we would easy get a deal elsewhere.

All coaches eventually live and die by their win/loss ratio.

Not winning a final is hurting him and the club.

IMO, Richmond would be mad to lock themselves in with Hardwick

for 3 more years.

I don't reckon too many clubs would target Hardwick as a senior coach.

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

How do you think this will go?

All AFL Clubs To Have Academies

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2016/2/all-afl-clubs-to-get-player-academies/

Au Banks use to have a branch in virtually every shopping strip in the land....then one day someone decided that they didn't need so many so they got rid of them lot of people lost there jobs too.....then about 6 or 7 years later they said they made a mistake and began returning branches to the shopping strips but not in such numbers as they once had.....

They use to have under 19 and reserve teams....you know where clubs had control of there up and coming players.....they took over the VFA called it the VFL and send half a dozen guys to play there per team then one day several clubs decided they would field there own team then a few more thought the same thing.....

There is a reason i call it the TINKER league .....is there any other code in the world that roots around as much as ours?

• Like 1

All coaches eventually live and die by their win/loss ratio.

Not winning a final is hurting him and the club.

IMO, Richmond would be mad to lock themselves in with Hardwick

for 3 more years.

I don't reckon too many clubs would target Hardwick as a senior coach.

Ok WILL....since you finished just above me in the tipping you know better than me.....hehe

ps......if Goodwin doesn't do any good at Dee land I'm happy to have Hardwick.

Edited by AlexRRR
  • Like 1

How do you think this will go?

All AFL Clubs To Have Academies

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/sport/afl/news/2016/2/all-afl-clubs-to-get-player-academies/

It's a good idea in principle

It has worked well for Sydney, GWS, Brisbane, GC and will continue to identify talent for those areas, among youth who might not otherwise have taken up the game

Victorian, WA, SA clubs are a bit different, with strong local club ties, operating as academies in many ways over the years

I'd like to see something done around more indigenous areas.. I don;t have any fixed ideas, but something that makes the transition easier for kids coming from remote communities and entering the Big League

There are a lot of teams in the comp, and the AFL needs to continue working to identify good players

• Like 1

Sheedy would be secretly upset at the dicks that have been running his belov d Bombers, players are going to take the club to the cleaners in a 30 million law suite reported in the Age this morning, Hird won't be back for a long time if ever, but you know the Aussie public we have short memories.

Group of up to 15 banned Bombers consider split ahead of compo bid

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/banned-bombers-consider-split-ahead-of-compo-bid-20160203-gmkv19.html

Essendon saga: Peter Jess hopes player claims will be resolved outside court

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-saga-peter-jess-hopes-player-claims-will-be-resolved-outside-court-20160203-gml8m5.html#ixzz3z9etFZra

Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

• Like 1